Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 7:26:29 PM EDT
Otay, what's the secret to getting the TD foregrip on the YHM rail??? Been trying to get it on and it's a mother humper.

About ready to break out the hammer
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
put it at the front of the rail then hold down the clamps and slide it down the rail until you get it to where you want it.  It will probably kill your fingers after a few tries but you will eventually get it
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
put it at the front of the rail then hold down the clamps and slide it down the rail until you get it to where you want it.  It will probably kill your fingers after a few tries but you will eventually get it

Tried it till the fingers hurt like the dickens & I got frustrated and gave up.

Would like to put it on & have the ability to move it back and forth without a big hammer
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
exactly what kind of trouble are you having?

will the grip not slide on the rail?
does it seem like the grip or rail is smaller or larger than the other?

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
exactly what kind of trouble are you having?

will the grip not slide on the rail?
does it seem like the grip or rail is smaller or larger than the other?

It's like the grip is smaller than the rail by just a tad as I'm forcing it on the YHM rail it's shaving part of the grip down. Then I need to hold down the clamps at the same time & that stinks.

Should the grip slide up and down the rail freely??
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:59:57 AM EDT
[#5]
This info is from Tango Down themselves.  Since some rails are not Mil-spec a slight mod needs to be done on the grip.  They have e-mailed me a pic of how it should look post-mod, but I can't get it to post.  What gives? Anyways, Take a small file and at a 90 degree angle file down a little at a time off the top til' it fits. If you need the pic you can e-mail me.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's like the grip is smaller than the rail by just a tad as I'm forcing it on the YHM rail it's shaving part of the grip down.

It's not "like", that's exactly your problem.  The YHM rails are slightly larger than they ought to be and the tight-fitting Tango Down grip won't fit.  If TD made it loose enough to fit the YHM properly then the grip might be loose on rails that are in spec.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's like the grip is smaller than the rail by just a tad as I'm forcing it on the YHM rail it's shaving part of the grip down.

It's not "like", that's exactly your problem.  The YHM rails are slightly larger than they ought to be and the tight-fitting Tango Down grip won't fit.  If TD made it loose enough to fit the YHM properly then the grip might be loose on rails that are in spec.

I was under the impression that YHM rails are mil sprc, that's why I got them
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Make the mod and be done with it.  I removed a little material on mine, and it locks up nice and tight.  The term "spec" ends up meaning little when there is a +/- involved to both products.

TD makes a nice VFG, but sometimes they are loose on some and tight on other rails .  While they have good quality control, it doesn't change that tolerances can stack against each other at times.  

Here is a picture of a YHM 2 piece with TD VFG with a 3 point sling I was playing around with.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
From what I know, if you look at the cross section of a rail and pretend it's a mushroom where an accessory or rail cover would cover the top and wrap around the sides then YHM just didn't quite make the "stem" tall enough.  Their tube is actually a little large from my experience with their free float models and doesn't allow the rail to really be far enough away from the tube.  

The TD has a little more meat in the part where it reaches around and grabs on the underside of the rail.  It has to compete with the tube for that space and there is where the problem occurs...

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top