Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 5:40:30 PM EDT
I have a 16" carbine I'd like to rebarrel and put a float tube on.  I've been looking at what it would take in terms of tools, parts, and procedure to do this.  I've read the thread tacked at the top of this forum about how to rebarrel with regular handguards/delta-ring, and that seems fairly easy.  I have no idea how to install a V Match float tube, however, other than what Bushmaster says on their web page about having to remove the front sight post.

If the new barel I get has a milled front sight post, do I have to remove the front sight post to get the barrel and tube on?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
i would like to know as well...im planning on getting same forearm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes,

The pinned front sights have to be removed before installing a free float tube.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes,

Ironic...I'm trying to install on right now.  I just took off the barrel and gas tube, ect.  I realized the only way is to remove the front sight/gas tube.  How in the hell do you get this thing off?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes,

Ironic...I'm trying to install on right now.  I just took off the barrel and gas tube, ect.  I realized the only way is to remove the front sight/gas tube.  How in the hell do you get this thing off?

Do you have a regular front sight, or a milled front sight (just a gas block)?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes,

Do you have a regular front sight, or a milled front sight (just a gas block)?

regular front sight on a colt Match Competiion HBAR II Post 94, pre 04 ().
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that the BM is a two piece tube- if it is- you have to remove the comp or FH (may need a smith's help) remove the front sight tower (bang out the taper pins-it sucks), remove barrel nut and delta ring assbly, slide on rear part of FF tube, torque to 35#+, line up holes for gas tube, screw on front part of FF tube, install gas tube, install sight tower, install FH or comp.
That is it in a nut shell.
One big run on sentnce.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The Bushmaster V Match float tube is a one piece tube.

I think I see now why you have to take off the front sight milled or not:  you have to slip the barrel into the tube and the front sight / gas block must clear the hole in the rear of the tube.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]
When removing the front sight pins, remember to go from left side to right side since they are taper pins. You may want to look for Mongo's post for removing the pins.

Info here

mongo001 is a very good at taking the taper pins out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#10]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=201469&page=1

I havent done a Vmatch tube, but I imagine they are similar, except might require a strap wrench to remove/install.... as many models are one piece and need a strap wrench.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=201469&page=1

I havent done a Vmatch tube, but I imagine they are similar, except might require a strap wrench to remove/install.... as many models are one piece and need a strap wrench.

Excellent post you have there and very well presented.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The v-match tube is Bushy's cheaper "one piece" tube, and yes you will have to remove everything off the barrel to get the FF tube on.  I dremel off the small ends of the taper pins first and then "push" out the pins instead of beating on the FSB/barrel, I don't like beating on barrels.  I had a boss who told me to do that all the time, and I hated it.  I install the FF tube with grease on the threads and two people twisting it on, even the wife/girlfriend will work, and I have never had one come loose.  I used to put a couple of drops of loc-tite on it until I had to remove one for a barrel change...I also hate putting a propane torch on anodizing to remove loc-tited parts.  A strap wrench works well, but how many of us have one?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I dremel off the small ends of the taper pins first and then "push" out the pins instead of beating on the FSB/barrel, I don't like beating on barrels.

Not splitting hairs here.... but I'd like to understand this better.  Why do you dremel?  I fail to see how dremeling the ends will help, since the FSB is held in place across the entire surface of the taper pin....  or am I missing something?

Do you then buy new pins to put it back in place?

How do you avoid "beating" on the barrel to reinstall the FSB?

If you get some wood, and fully support the FSB while tapping out the pins, there should be zero stress on the barrel.

I install the FF tube with grease on the threads and two people twisting it on, even the wife/girlfriend will work, and I have never had one come loose.  I used to put a couple of drops of loc-tite on it until I had to remove one for a barrel change...I also hate putting a propane torch on anodizing to remove loc-tited parts.  A strap wrench works well, but how many of us have one?

Strap wrenches can be ordered or picked up locally for as little as $1.99:

www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=200306401&categoryId=0

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40198

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top