Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2005 8:26:41 AM EDT
I want to get a light/laser, and really like the Insight M6 and X2. I just don't like the prices.
Opinions on wich is better M6/X2?

With thM6 and X2 running around $300'ish
I'm considering a $90 M3 and $90 P22 laser (yes I have a P22 to go with it). I would save around $100. The 2 pieces of equipment VS 1, isn't a big deal for me. There are for rifle quad rails, not a regular pistol wih A rail.

Another reason for the focus on price is, I want 2-4 of the set ups.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The P22 laser is not very bright at all.  The Streamlight M6 is actually brighter, and it's often criticized for not being bright enough (I have one, it's useless outdoors - works fine indoors).  The M6X is supposed to be better.

Actually, my recommendation would be this:

Spend your money on a quality light (Surefire, Pentagon, M3X, whatever), and if you still think you need a laser, get one of the cheap ebay ones.  By the time it fails, you'll have decided whether or not you really want to have a laser.  If you still want one, then save up and buy something good.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not really qualified to agree but I will agree just the same.  I have an Insight M6 (Maker of the Streamlight M6 and same light) on my Glock 17 and it is a reasonably bright light and laser for inside use.  I bought it because it isn't real expensive and a light/laser on a HD gun is a huge advantage that I would not want to be without.

The light on the M6 or M3 is not as bright as a higher end surefire and the focus of these is not as good as the Surefire either.  It is still adequate and better then a 3-D Mag Light Flashlight but certainly there are better lights.

As for the laser, I like teh Lasermax internal laser in my glocks and the laser from the M6 is nowhere as bright as my Hi Bright Lasermax laser.  The laser on the M6 is still bright enough to get the job done and it is much better then not having anything but the other lasers will do a better job.

The M6 will cost you about $300 or so while a Lasermax with a Surefire will cost me about $600.  I bought my ITI M6 lightly used for $200 and for that amount of money I can deal with its limits and accept that there are better systems as this system does work for what I want and need it for...  mine is for my Home Defense use and I love the M6 in that roll.

Now, I have just purchased a new Lasermax for my G-17 which is the gun that I have the M6 on and I also picked up a M3 LED.  I am planning to try the M3 LED for a while to see how I like that solution.  Here is some info on the M3 LED as well as some questions I had about that light...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=23&t=23588

On my AR-15 I have a real wepon light in the form of the Surefire M962 and I don't have a laser on the AR-15 at this point.  Perhaps at some point I will want one but I expect I will have a Night Vision setup by then and the laser will be a UV laser that I wil want...

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The M-series lights are great - for handguns. For a carbine, I think you need a brighter light than 6 volts will buy you. 120+ lumens throws out to the distances needed for most short-range target ID and engagement.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top