Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 9:43:44 AM EDT
I just purchased 1,200 rounds of Hirtenberger 124 grain FMJ  (1991 production).  The man that sold it to me told me that this load was a little "warm" for handguns (confirmed by a label on the top of the ammo can).

My questions... Do any of you have experience with this load?  Should I avoid using it in my 9mm chambered handguns (modern SIGs, H&Ks, Brownings) and only use it in my rifles?  Lastly, what kind of velocity can I expect from this load from a 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this L7A1?

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=183634&w=searchPop[/url]

I have fired this ammo; be careful with it.

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link....  Yes, it's the L7A1 ammo, 1991 production.  There's a circled "+" on the case heads.  I purchased it specifically for use in a Sterling Mark 6 (semi-auto version of the SMG).  My Sterling functions best with "hotter" ammo.  I may also try it in my Uzi and H&K 94 for grins.  I guess I'd better pay attention to the warning label on the can and avoid using it in my handguns.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem was some venders selling this ammo as +P+, which it is not; more like ++P++.

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
A buddy of mine who knows a whole lot more about these things than I do told me to use it only in "blow back" type carbines such as my Sterling or and Uzi carbine.  He advises against using it in any firearm with a locking bolt action (i.e., the H&K 94).
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Your buddy has some good advice. All will become clear when you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
The BAT boys even have advice about the L7A1

Department of the Treasury
ATF Office of Public Information

For Immediate Release FY-97-6

HAZARDOUS AMMUNITION

Washington--The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) has been advised by Hirtenberger AG, Hirtenberg, Austria, that certain 9Xl9 mm
caliber ammunition produced by Hirtenberger is unsafe for use in any handgun.

The ammunition, designated L7A1 and produced ln the years 1990 through 1992, was produced for the British Ministry of Defense specifically for use in submachineguns under adverse conditions. The ammunition was loaded to produce pressures far in excess of that intended for use in handguns.

The manufacturer advises that up to 12 million rounds of this ammunition has recently been sold on the world surplus market. The ammunition can be identified by the following head stamp located on the bottom of the cartridge case

12 O'clock position: HP
3 O'clock position: 90, 91, or 92
6 O'clock position: L7Al
9 O'clock position: the marking of a cross within a circle

This ammunition should not be fired.

We are not aware of any of this ammunition being imported into the United States. ATF will take action to prevent the commercial importation of this
ammunition.

For additional information, contact, Mary Jo Hughes, Chief, Firearms and
Explosives Imports, (202) 927-8320.

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks much for the info.  I think I'll reserve this ammo for my Sterling.  From what I've read, it was designed for that application anyway.

Once again... you guys have helped me stay out of trouble.  I appreciate it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top