Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2017 5:53:32 AM EDT
Hey there-
I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for a drill press on the cheap that will work well for finishing off an 80% lower? I'm talking BUDGET here. As in inexpensive as possible . Make and model would be great and perhaps even some specs on what to look for in a drill press unit.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Harbor Freight?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought the $65 harbor freight model. It age through the alumni just fine but it would be nice to have a vice on it and the axis controls would make it easier as well.

My first one didn't turn out but that's not the fault of the drill press, just my inexperience with milling/machining.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#4]
A basic drill press is great for it's intended purpose - drilling.  It's spindle bearings are designed to work with vertical loads.  It's not a good idea for milling, which involves horizontal or side loading of the spindle.  The bearings, even on a top quality drill press, will fail quickly by trying to do metal milling.  If they don't completely fail the spindle will wobble badly and you will no longer be able to drill accurate holes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#5]
before I got my router jig I looked at a few drill presses at pawn shops, they seem to sell pretty cheap threre.
I also checked out craigslist

I'd highly reccommend the router type jig
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#6]
You are better off buying a 5D jig and an inexpensive router.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I've been going back and forth on whether to go with a router and jig instead of a drill press and jig.... and x-y vise . I'm thinking router and jig it is . Anybody got any input or suggestions on an inexpensive router ??
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are better off buying a 5D jig and an inexpensive router.
View Quote
You still have to drill your Safety and Trigger Pin holes.

You 'can' do it with a hand drill, but it's MUCH easier with a drill press.  Any drill press will do for this task.   FPNI with Harbor Freight

Also -- while a vice on the press is helpful, it's not needed as the jig will keep the lower from moving around.  Since you start the drill with the bit already in the hole, it's not a problem to line it up first.  However, you will want a vice to hold the jig for using the router.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah I've been going back and forth on whether to go with a router and jig instead of a drill press and jig.... and x-y vise . I'm thinking router and jig it is . Anybody got any input or suggestions on an inexpensive router ??
View Quote
I just did the 5D Tactical router jig with 5D's recommended router, the Porter Cable PCE 6435 (it's available on Amazon Prime).

You can read my experience with it here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_724/282740_Just-ordered---Jig-and-Tool-Kit-w-Hybrid-End-Mill.html

You can also read 5D's full review of routers here: https://info.5dtactical.com/2016/08/03/router-guide-for-finishing-80-lower-receivers/
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
You can also probably pick up an inexpensive used drill press on Craigslist.

You''re only going to drill 8 holes total on a lower....2 starter holes for the router, and then after milling with the router, you'll drill 6 holes (3 holes on each side of the lower for trigger pins and the safety).

For 8 holes, you can find something cheap on craigslist and then flip it when you're done.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#11]
What you want to get is this Ridgid R24012 $99

And this HD jig $169

Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Are those 5D router jigs durable ? How many times can you use them before they will compromise quality results?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are those 5D router jigs durable ? How many times can you use them before they will compromise quality results?
View Quote
Solid and durable, yes.  It's all steel.  I don't know that there is a limit on how many times you could reuse it, assuming you don't chew it up with the end mill.  Now the end mill is another story, as bits get dull and eventually wear out or potentially break.  I was trying to find out the max number of lowers you could do on one end mill and haven't heard any response.

ETA:  The genius thing about the 5D Tactical jig, unlike other jigs, is that it's designed to work with the guides of the router...so that only the guides touch jig, not the end mill.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I have a 3/8's end mill that is working on it's 20th lower this weekend and it has done a whole bunch of other stuff as well,  but I don't believe their is a practical limit, just depends on how your use it and what type of material you are machining.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to Harbor Freight drill press display. Fully extend the Arbor and check out the side pay at the Chuck. Then decide if you want to drill your receiver with a cheap drill press.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]
OP....

Go spend some time on youtube watching videos of people using.....

A drill press finishing an 80%

And a router finishing an 80%.

Then....you need to decide which you would prefer to do yourself .

After all...your the one doing the work, and paying for parts, and using the end result of those 2 things.

Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What you want to get is this RIDGID-5-5-Amp-Corded-Compact-Router-R24012 $99

And thisModulus-Arms-heavy-duty-universal-ar-15-80-lower-receiver-jig $169

View Quote
I have that jig and a similar router from Makita...  I've done quite a few lowers now w/o problems.

I'd also recommend Modulus's Speed Drill Kit, as it saves a lot of time doing the drilling operations and with it, you really don't need a drill press at all, any old corded or cordless 3/8 drill will work fine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Go to Harbor Freight drill press display. Fully extend the Arbor and check out the side pay at the Chuck. Then decide if you want to drill your receiver with a cheap drill press.
View Quote
Different models sold at Harbor Freight will give you different results on this.  The cheaper, lighter duty models you are right on.  The larger, heavier units they sell are a lot better.  I have the biggest "table top" model they sell (the 13" 16 speed model) and it is pretty solid and doesn't have a lot of play in it.  Of course it is also $279 instead of $64 for the 8" 5 speed model.  Even at Harbor Freight you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Dewalt 611 router, 5D jig & end mills, Ryobi or similar drill press.

Going with a crappy router will give you crappy results and be useless afterwards.
5D jig is my favorite by far... Its just made better and eliminates alot of pussy footing around with things that will ruin an 80%
Ryobi drill press is pretty solid for a big box brand. You can use a AC hand drill if you are so inclined. Just read the damn directions.

As long as you use healthy amounts of cutting fluid, your results should come out looking near perfect (if not perfect). And if you take care of your jig, you can sell it for 25% less than what you bought it for... on the EE. ;)
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Different models sold at Harbor Freight will give you different results on this.  The cheaper, lighter duty models you are right on.  The larger, heavier units they sell are a lot better.  I have the biggest "table top" model they sell (the 13" 16 speed model) and it is pretty solid and doesn't have a lot of play in it.  Of course it is also $279 instead of $64 for the 8" 5 speed model.  Even at Harbor Freight you get what you pay for.
View Quote
Ive got the cheap one. It had too much endplay in it. I just use a drill now. 

Im scrapping it for the motor to use with something else. 
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top