Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 4:42:16 AM EDT
I have all the things I need to do it with now.  Some 85% phosphoric acid, some powdered manganese dioxide and some steel wool but I have one question.  When you add the steel wool to the mixture, do you add the part to be parked at the same time or do you wait a little before adding the part you are parkerizing?    Here is some info on how to, but it isnt clear on when to add the part.        http://www.jouster.com/articles30m1/parkerizing.html
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:43:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have all the things I need to do it with now.  Some 85% phosphoric acid, some powdered manganese dioxide and some steel wool but I have one question.  When you add the steel wool to the mixture, do you add the part to be parked at the same time or do you wait a little before adding the part you are parkerizing?    Here is some info on how to, but it isnt clear on when to add the part.        www.jouster.com/articles30m1/parkerizing.html

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never done it  (yet ) but it seems to me that you should put the steel wool in first, and give it some time to interact with the solution before you start submersing parts. The instructions that you linked to seems to indicate (but not flat out state) the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#3]
ive used brownells parl only.  it used the steel wool only oncewhen you first make the solution.  they call it buffering teh park..  if you dont you parts will be very light  untill teh solution takes enough iron out of teh metal to buffer itself.  they say to wrap the steel wool in a coffie filter and then put it in.  i cant rember how long it took cause that was 2 years ago and im still using it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure your steel wool is clean, and isn't oily or covered in some kind of goop.  It would be a shame to kill a nice park job with contaminated steel wool.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks,  Ill just try it on something small first.  Ill let you guys know how it turnes out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top