Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 11:29:08 AM EDT
If you had to choose from two top tier rifles built from high quality parts (like BCM) or three mid tier rifles built from Bushmaster and Armalite parts, what would you choose.

Quantity or better quality
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quality

but it depends on your definition of top vs mid tier.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quality
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quality for sure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you'll find more people ridding themselves of lower tier rifles in order to buy nicer ones than you will people ridding themselves of the good stuff in order to buy more junk rifles.

There were a lot of people who dumped their Colts years ago when companies like RRA came on the scene with the promise of a better rifle than the ones made by the Govenrment's lowest bid winner.  Slowly, as we consumers learn more about QC and materials, our industry seems to be swinging back towards providing a quality product again.  There are more top choices out there than ever before.  You can now buy a complete BCM or Colt for only 20% more than Bushmaster, RRA or Armalite.

Why not buy two good ones and a reloading machine?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quality.  A broken gun does you no good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends largely on who built it.

Im alot more concerned about bushmaster's quality control when it comes to assembly than I am the quality of their components.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quality
––––––––-
Quantity

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm all for quality. I think some of the smaller companies make better weapons compared to the big dogs. You also can't beat customer service of say LaRue versus Colt. I'm not saying Colts are bad (I own one) but you can buy a same if not better quality rifle for the same/cheaper price and have better customer service.

So back to the original question, I'd take quality over quantity.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd rather have (2) of the folowing - Colt, BCM, LMT, DD, Noveske, KAC, Larue over (3) of ANY other brand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd take quality over quantity.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd rather have (2) of the folowing - Colt, BCM, LMT, DD, Noveske, KAC, Larue over (3) of ANY other brand.

Quality, period.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quality
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quality. A broken gun does you no good.

+1 and in this case I would take a page out of your book. 2 identical quality rifles, setup exactly the same. After all two is one and one is none.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm ready to take what you got.

Knowing what I would be using it for and the fact that the brands you listed Bushy, Armalite are GTG and probably would never give me an issue(yes I know there are probably a billion "operators" who are about to tell us why Bushmaster and Armalite are P.O.S.). I would rather have the three.

ETA:  But if my day in and day out life depended on it maybe my thoughts would be different.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quality

but it depends on your definition of top vs mid tier.

Yea really depends on how you are breaking it down. Depending on the mid tier I might go for the 3 vs the 2.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quality definitely, but what is the definition of quality here? CMMG, RRA, Bushmaster? or Noveske, Colt, etc. to me my CMMG has functioned perfectly and i would trust my life with it but everybody is different.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+1 and I'd add Sabre Defence to the group.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]
quality over quantity hands down..
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you had to choose from two top tier rifles built from high quality parts (like BCM) or three mid tier rifles built from Bushmaster and Armalite parts, what would you choose.

Im always up for quality over quantity

BCM makes top quality shit... But bushmaster and armalite also make quality parts

3 Bushmasters with BCM BCGs would not be a bad collection
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd rather have 2 Colts than 4 Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If I had 4 Bushmasters I could sell two of them, buy a Colt, and have a Colt and two Bushmasters.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

HA!  What about LWRC?  Gotchya!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had 4 Bushmasters I could sell two of them, buy a Colt, and have a Colt and two Bushmasters.

Or you could take the next step and sell the remaining 2 Bushmasters and buy a second Colt
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quality.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quality everytime.  

Brian
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#27]
My answer is 3-Colts and 1 Armalite. Thats ARFCOM math ; )

Or half a Colt over 2 bushmasters. Ditto on quality.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Hesse/Blackthorne
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd rather have (2) of the folowing - Colt, BCM, LMT, DD, Noveske, KAC, SABRE, Larue over (3) of ANY other brand.

wanted to make sure it was a complete list

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd take three.  That way I could have 1 varmiter, 1 20" M16A2 clone, and 1 lightweight KISS gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#31]
For some people, cost seems to always be the foremost criterion. So they buy lower cost and lower quality guns. But ironically they buy many lower cost guns, and end up spending the same as if they'd chosen fewer higher quality guns instead.

I'd rather have fewer well designed, quality things than a house full of second and third rate stuff. But like many people, I can't afford such a high-minded lifestyle, and most of my stuff isn't what I'd really chose if I really had a choice.

GL
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you could take the next step and sell the remaining 2 Bushmasters and buy a second Colt

Yeah, but then you'd have two Colts.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Depends on what you need them for - three trained guys with Armalites / Bushmasters will OWN two equally-trained guys with any make AR you want to name.  50% more firepower

(And you might as well take Noveske, KAC and Larue out of the comparison, or make it (2) to maybe (4) or (5)   ... )

Otherwise, I agree - better is, well, better

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quality.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#35]

as posted in another thread...............

in a firearm quality is the most important feature. if the weapon is to be used for self defense QUALITY is the ONLY feature that matters!

if it'll never be used as a defensive weapon then get whatever you want.

i don't completely get this "2 is 1" thing either. if there is a serious event and you are going to rely on your weapon to save your life are you going to be carrying two of them? i want to see this. i want to see a guy with TWO sub-standard AR-15's running around after the world just went to shit. you can hump enough food, water, shelter and other necessary items but still have room for that "extra" AR? when the guys that are carrying all the guns and ammo only make it a few miles before they kick over and die cause you can't eat an "extra" AR i'll bet they were wishing for more food and water. then all of your "stuff" will be looted from your corpse, thanks for the ammo.

no sir, not me. i'll take 1 well built rifle that i know is as tough as it can be and has been tested and proved. add some ammo, mags, a small cleaning kit and a few common spare parts and i'm out the door.

BCM, LMT, Colt, SABRE, Noveske, DD or KAC
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quality for sure. I have had Bushmaster, Rock River, and a Stag. Sold them all and now I have an LMT, Colt and a complete Larue that I wouldnt even think about selling. If you buy what you think is lower quality rifles you will end up wishing you had bought the higher quality rifles, thats what happend to me any way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I 've owned several ARs over the last 40 years and the absolute best one was an Eagle Arms that was made up for me in the early 90s by the Larson brothers. They use to work for Eagle Arms before they formed RRA. The Eagle Arms quality was 2'nd to none. Years later the owner of Eagle bought the ArmaLites name and brought the same level of quality into  the ArmaLite brand. I think this is the most underated company producing fine rifles today. They alone resurrected the AR10, and the AR180 (which I hope they produce again) then brought us the AR50 plus several others. There are a lot of companies jumping on the AR bandwagon and many producing good rifles, it will be interesting to see how many of these companies survive now that the buying boom has slowed down. I'm sure ArmaLite will be one of them.
So if I had to choose, it would be Armalite followed by Eagle Arms. Quality all the way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quality.  All my AR-15s are Colts, and I don't care what you say.

I'd have a Colt M4 type carbine with Eotech, and a 7.62 long gun for the other weapon.

Colt doesn't make an AR-10, so I guess I'd take my Armalite/A.I. NATO model AR-10. Doesn't get more original than that.

ETA: If they both have to be 5.56mm, I'd take my Colt flat-top HBAR with Trij scope.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I would choose my own rifles built by me with the top quality parts of my choice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather have (2) of the folowing - Colt, BCM, LMT, DD, Noveske, KAC, SABRE, Larue over (3) of ANY other brand.

wanted to make sure it was a complete list

It was a complete list.  I would, without hesitation, take any of those on my list over any that I did not mention.  Just my opinion though
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 and I'd add Sabre Defence to the group.

+1 on Sabre
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but then you'd have two Colts.

Hmmmm. This is true. I guess I didn't think it through.....

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quality for sure.  Two's all I would need, 1 short range, 1 long range.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top