Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 7:37:15 AM EDT
I am looking at a 16" BM upper with a NO BAN barrel . It has a flash hider and is threaded 1/2 x 28mm.

Can I just get rid of the bayonet lug (grind it off) and put a muzzle brake on it to make it legal for NY?

How does the muzzle brake need to be installed to be legit? and which bushmaster muzzle brake will fit this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#1]

you don't have to grind off the entire bayo-lug, just the ears. so long as a bayo can't attach, you're good (a lot of guys used to do this back in teh federal AWB days).

whatever alternative device you decide to put on there will have to be PERMANENT, therefore negating the threads on the end of your barrel.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Just about any muzzle break will fit those those thread dimensions (phantom, A2, vortec, vortex, etc.).  Have the break pinned and/or welded on by ADCO.
As for the legality of ginding off a bayo lug...I don't know and therefor won't atempt to answer that part of the question.  Good luck..somone will be along shortly with a better answer I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#3]
How do I make it permanent? I hear people say to use solder but how exactly do you solder a threaded muzle brake onto a barrel?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The muzzle device will have to be permanently attached, by either blind-pinning and welding, or the silver solder method. If you are not familiar with these, I suggest you search for them, or consider sending your weapon off to a reputable shop such as ADCO to have the work done.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Could I just use the "Red" locktite to make it permanent?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#6]
You can grind the bayo lug completely off or just the 'ears' so a bayo cannot stay attached.  The muzzle device has to be silver soldered or have a blind pin and welded.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#7]
They weld or pin it on.  Essentialy making it a permanent part of the barrel.  If you have it pinned, the barrel could be saved (if sold to a no AWB state)without having to cut off part of the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No.  Chemical means are not allowed, and Red Loctite is hardly permanent.

Only approve methods that I know of:

1) Blind Pin and weld over the pin.

2) 1100 degree Silver solder

3) 4 equidistant tack welds

4) Continuous weld for at least 1/2 the circumferance.

#1 is the most common (and the one used by most if not all manufacturers and smiths).

#2 is the method used by most hobbyists as MAPP torches are available and Home Depot and can get the barrel hot enough.  Though you are dangerously close to damaging the steel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

never mind, others alreadly posted the answer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sure I understand why it is illegal to have threads on a barrel anyway. I am assuming because they think you would be able to put a can on  it. But if you don't have NFA paperwork then a can is illegal anyway.

So are they making the ability to have something ilegal... illegal?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm not sure I understand why it is illegal to have threads on a barrel anyway.

Because if it's threaded you can EASILY install a non-ban compliant muzzle device (like that flash supressor).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#12]
No problem, Just file off the Ears of the Lug & Pin & weld on a Muzzle brake of Fake flash hider.
If you need a Wilson brake shoot me & IM, I have a couple I bought & Never used.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#13]
You're problem will be getting a dealer who will get you a no ban weapon and then he will have to  "trust" that you will do these mods which I don't think will happen or he'll have to do them for you. buy an upper seperately, get it done, complete rifles are a bit of a pain.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#14]
SILVER SOLDER PASTES FOR THE PRACTICAL GUNWORKER  

Go get a bottle and a propane torch. Fairly easy.

Mfr: FUSION

In Quickly-Applied Paste Form

FUSION solders come already ground in their own special flux in the right proportions.

(All #'s sometimes packaged 1 oz. in 2 oz. jar by Manufacturer.)

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just about any muzzle break will fit those those thread dimensions (phantom, A2, vortec, vortex, etc.).

these are not MUZZLE BRAKES - they are FLASH HIDERS and are not awb compliant - just fyi
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You're problem will be getting a dealer who will get you a no ban weapon and then he will have to  "trust" that you will do these mods which I don't think will happen or he'll have to do them for you. buy an upper seperately, get it done, complete rifles are a bit of a pain.

I think it is just an upper he is talking about, No FFL needed
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#17]
yeah, just an upper

is this a good deal then?

$420 Bushmaster A2 M4 profile upper (new, never fired, complete) (no flash hider)
$40 muzzle brake
$45 for adco to pin it (this includes shpping both ways)

----------
$505 total.

That's almost the price of a kit from del-ton

what do you think?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Call Shooter's Supply in Louisville!  They have a Bushmaster M4 upper in stock that is AWB compliant for something like $480.00 (not sure about exact price).  Any way it isn't selling because no one here wants a Post Ban upper.  I will look their number up and post it.  Also I don't remember if it's A2 or A3.

Here is their number 502-327-6827.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh, I just wanted to add that it has the Mini Y comp break permanentley attached to a 14.5" M4 barrel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
yeah, just an upper

$420 Bushmaster A2 M4 profile upper (new, never fired, complete) (no flash hider)
$40 muzzle brake

----------
$505 total.

what do you think?

I think I would pass.  For that price you could buy what you want without playing around with it,
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#21]
What part is the ears of a  bayonet lug? I've been thinking of getting a no-ban barrel and doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I think 505 dollars is enough for a Penske truck to move away to a better state...  It's less work...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#23]
For $505, I would shop around a little for a postban compliant upper.  Check the EE, etc.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just about any muzzle break will fit those those thread dimensions (phantom, A2, vortec, vortex, etc.).

these are not MUZZLE BRAKES - they are FLASH HIDERS and are not awb compliant - just fyi

Muchas Gracias...you are correct and i apologize for any confusion i may have caused.  
Damn am I glad I don't have to deal with the AWB any more...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep in mind he is operating under NY law, not Federal Law so BATF regs might not count. Be interesting to see how NY defines "permenent" and proceed from there. Anyway, if you use Loctite-600 you will twist the barrel apart before you get it off. But the stuff you get a Home Depot is not permanent.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
yeah, just an upper

$40 muzzle brake

----------
$505 total.

what do you think?

I'd much rather have the Bushmaster upper, than a kit from Delton.  Hands down - not even close.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a brand new unfired post ban configuration A3 Bushmaster 16" HBAR upper with chrome lined barrel, bolt, bolt carrier and charging handle. I would sell for $475 shipped.
If you are interested E-mail [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep in mind he is operating under NY law, not Federal Law so BATF regs might not count. Be interesting to see how NY defines "permenent" and proceed from there. Anyway, if you use Loctite-600 you will twist the barrel apart before you get it off. But the stuff you get a Home Depot is not permanent.

The NYS Assault rifle ban Was intended to be a mirror image of the old Federal Ban, So Loctite is a No No!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The NYS Assault rifle ban Was intended to be a mirror image of the old Federal Ban, So Loctite is a No No!!

The old Federal AWB did not define "permanent". That was an BATF thing. Never mind that referencing it now is a reference to something that does not exist. So he would need to ask NY Police what constitutes permament.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The old Federal AWB did not define "permanent". That was an BATF thing. Never mind that referencing it now is a reference to something that does not exist. So he would need to ask NY Police what constitutes permament.

The NYS AWB states just Like the old federal AWB no threaded barrels & No FHs on post ban guns. When the Federal ban was in effect there were thousands of AR15s sold in NYS by licensed gun dealers with the MBs pinned/welded/Soldered as per BATF requirements.
Right now there are AR15s being sold by licensed dealers in NYS with the MBs pinned/welded/Soldered. The Fed ban has expired but because of the NYS ban nothing has changed in New York.
I wish very much that the NY State Police will allow Loctite to be used to secure a brake to a barrel on a post ban gun, But I doubt it will ever happen.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Call Shooter's Supply in Louisville!  They have a Bushmaster M4 upper in stock that is AWB compliant for something like $480.00 (not sure about exact price).  Any way it isn't selling because no one here wants a Post Ban upper.  I will look their number up and post it.  Also I don't remember if it's A2 or A3.

Here is their number 502-327-6827.

thanks I will give them a call
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top