[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This ^^^

Across the board
View Quote
3rd

Primary Arms PLX-C
Horseshoe and 1moa center dot instead of the chevron. I have a hell of a time shooting tighter groups with it compared to a dot center.

To make the optic more appealing to a bigger crowd, make it nuke bright like the new Nova.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I would make Leupold offer a VX6 1-6x or VX8 with their special lightweight sauce and a fucking decent reticle. A BDC and a MIL variant.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I think LPVOs are all too heavy, this coming from someone who has a farily light for cagegory 18oz one (26oz with ADM mount).

I’d like it if someone would add 5mph and 10mph wind holds for the 400-600 yd drops on any BDC red dot/holographic:
- EOTech EXPS3-4
- Holosun HS503G-ACSS
- Sig Romeo 4 H/S/T

I’d pair the windage/BDC sight with a G45 magnifier and get rid of my LPVO on my 16” gun. That would be a 4-10oz weight savings.

Quoted:
Auto wake up/shut off on Eotech.
View Quote

Also this
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Im the opposite.  If Eotech would make the circle part something I could turn off....I'd have more.  I tried the single dot variant but the refresh rate gave it a very weird streaking to my eye.

I've grown to appreciate single dots more.  I find it easier to place a precise shot.  Too much of my attention is drawn to the big circle.  Fine up close, not so much 25 and out.
View Quote
I agree this is why I went from a 507k on my G48 to a 6MOA eps carry
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

^ This.    Swampfox did, but it 6moa why?      If Aimpoint came out with a single dot etched or circle/dot etched I'd be all over it.  Add shake n wake as well.  

View Quote
Lol 6 moa is good on pistol dots and backup optics. Not primary
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty happy with my current optics as they've proven to be reliable and high performing in a variety of different matches.

My only request would be for a manufacturer to work with AntiMatter Industries and incorporate a powered zoom mechanism into their scopes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, here I go:

Kahles K16i: dual focal plane, better reticle. Was hoping for that with the K18i-2 but it is still 2nd focal plane. Some of us want tactical turrets as well

Kahles K318i (3-18): Wider FOV, larger exit pupil and eyebox at 15-18x. Glass otherwise is phenomenal.

Elcan 1-4: Smaller, lighter, wider fov and larger eyebox. How about a 1-6 or 1-8x Elcan? or 1-4-8x Elcan? Use ADM Ti throw levers

Aimpoint: Improve the Comp M5. Larger objective lens and less halo effect because I see light scattering inside the tube. I like the T2 better as a consequence. Design a better magnifier. Can Aimpoint make circle dots or different reticles? Look what other companies are doing

Trijicon ACOGs: The entire line needs improvement. Look at primary arms prism optics. They all have better FOV, larger exit pupils, more eye relief and eye boxes than their Trijicon counterparts.

VCOG 1-6: Sold mine because the eyebox is too darn small. Give it a wider FOV, bigger eyebox, more mounting height options. I love my VCOG 1-8 but wish someone made 1.7-1.93” high mounts that didn’t require the use of a KRAM spacer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I want an Eotech EXPS with Aimpoint battery life and durability.  Something I can leave on mid brightness for half a decade and never worry about battery life.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
NXS 2.5-10x42

FFP
Mil-XT

Conversely, a 2-12x4x NX8 with the same two features.
View Quote

This.
Alternatively, add a side focus to the Trijicon Credo 2-10x36.

A TA33 with a FOV similar to the TA31. I don't care if eye relief needs to be sacrificed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
NF:
1. Euro diopters on the nx8 and ATACR
2. Ditch the terrible digilum push button for a traditional dial illumination.
3. Atacr line needs the magnification to not rotate the entire eyepiece.
View Quote

1. These are much more fragile and are an extra point of ingress for dust, dirt and debris.
3. This eliminates another entry point for debris.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Everyone should make their scope bodies the way leupold does it, billet or whatever. So that they are lighter weight.

Or leupold could just stop screwing up either the reticle or some random feature of their lineup and clean up the entire market.
View Quote

I thought the OP asked for “realistic changes”?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok, here I go:

Kahles K16i: dual focal plane, better reticle. Was hoping for that with the K18i-2 but it is still 2nd focal plane. Some of us want tactical turrets as well

Kahles K318i (3-18): Wider FOV, larger exit pupil and eyebox at 15-18x. Glass otherwise is phenomenal.

Elcan 1-4: Smaller, lighter, wider fov and larger eyebox. or How about a 1-6 or 1-8x Elcan?1-4-8x Elcan? Use ADM Ti throw levers

Aimpoint: Improve the Comp M5. Larger objective lens and less halo effect because I see light scattering inside the tube. I like the T2 better as a consequence. Design a better magnifier. Can Aimpoint make circle dots or different reticles? Look what other companies are doing

Trijicon ACOGs: The entire line needs improvement. Look at primary arms prism optics. They all have better FOV, larger exit pupils, more eye relief and eye boxes than their Trijicon counterparts.

VCOG 1-6: Sold mine because the eyebox is too darn small. Give it a wider FOV, bigger eyebox, more mounting height options. I love my VCOG 1-8 but wish someone made 1.7-1.93” high mounts that didn’t require the use of a KRAM spacer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#13]
LED TA-44. Gimmie
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Everyone should make their scope bodies the way leupold does it, billet or whatever. So that they are lighter weight.

Or leupold could just stop screwing up either the reticle or some random feature of their lineup and clean up the entire market.
View Quote

Yeah, they make some really nice scopes and then you’re like “ooh, lemme look at that one”, and there’s a dealbreaker catch to it. Really, I’d be happy with them if they’d bring back the nicer line 2-7 scopes, with a SIMPLE Firedot reticle, and with a plain one. (I need two more). Speaking of which, seems like everytime they have a real winner, they DC it.

Quoted:
Auto wake up/shut off on Eotech.
View Quote

Someone write this man an award.

Current favorite LPVO is VCOG 1-6. I’d like them to switch to a single, bright fibre dot like Steiner, Sig, Leupold offer. (I haven’t looked at Sig or Leupy’s with that fiber optic dot in the sun; I’m just assuming they're as good as the Steiners.) I’d also like the diopter adjustment to be marked. Actually, I have that suggestion for a lot of scopes. I’m using a Unity mount that I wish wasn’t ano’d gold, because I haven’t got around to painting it yet.

Favorite rifle dot is pretty much any current flavor of Aimpoint. I wouldn’t mind a spare set of caps be included. Please don’t put shake awake on it.

Favorite pistol dot is 508t. Solar Failsafe doesn’t work on one of mine. Be cooler if it did. Maybe I broke it somehow. Battery life has been good, though, so whatever. I guess I would like the adjusters to take a regular small screwdriver if I’m nitpicking.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Current favorite LPVO is VCOG 1-6. I’d like them to switch to a single, bright fibre dot like Steiner, Sig, Leupold offer. (I haven’t looked at Sig or Leupy’s with that fiber optic dot in the sun; I’m just assuming they're as good as the Steiners.) I’d also like the diopter adjustment to be marked.
View Quote

If you're set on Trijicon, they make something like this

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/tr25-c-200095
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you're set on Trijicon, they make something like this

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/tr25-c-200095
View Quote

Thanks. I’m not set on Triji; I like other brands, too. I like the integral mount, durability, and household battery on the VCOG. But yeah, that’s a cool scope, in its own right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#17]
ATACR 1-8. Bigger magnified fov.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#18]
SWFA 12x42. lower profile turrets and maybe shorter overall length.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#19]
vortex spitfire 5x
kraut glass
fiber/tritium illunination
ACSS griffin reticle
elcan style 2x magnifier
built in docter glock MOS style top dot
killflash with laser filter
adjustable BUIS
15oz

mockup

i know the primary arms 3x magnifier is 5oz and that's a standalone unit. the spitfire is 10oz. so i think it could be done honestly.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Also:

If Holosun made the 507Comp, 510 or Trijicon made the SRO with a 12 MOA dot we could finally put the C-More slide ride to bed for good. About the only place it’s still relevant is Steel Challenge.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Legit top tier glass in the Primary Arms 3x micro prism.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm a fan of Lead and Steel because they actually listen and improve their product. I know they are new to the optic scene though. But that isn't a bad thing. You have long established companies that refuse to innovate/change. For example Trijicon had a long gap before they started getting competitive with Holosun.

Hell I even was able to upgrade to an Aurawake Optic for $50 with a few other improvements.

Fuck the reddit hate/drama though (especially from a guntuber who is pushing airsoft/Amazon tier optics). Hoping they get through all this. We need more Companies that are making the effort to get away from Chicom factories imo. The worst thing is we tend to eat our own over stupid shit.

I hear rumors about a Elcan style optic in the works... Very interested.

Primary Arms actually does listen to it's customers as well. But they really need to make a GLX version of the 3x. Would love a Japanese made one. But it really seems like Japan/Phillipines don't make prism scopes.for whatever reason?

Imagine if they legit made an Acog Killer, Micro Profile, excellent glass, made in Japan, 7075 Aluminum, Etc for 2/3 the price of an Acog.

You would already have:

-Diopeter Adjustment for those of us who dont have 18 Year Old GI Vision.
-Excellent Battery Life.
-Mini Acog Pattern instead of the Big Chungus Acog Pattern.
-An excellent lifetime warranty. (I mean odds are if it fogs they will take care of you lmao)

I really wish PA or Vortex would try to get involved with importing some DI Optical stuff imo. Definitely want access to more Korean stuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
NF:
1. Euro diopters on the nx8 and ATACR
2. Ditch the terrible digilum push button for a traditional dial illumination.
3. Atacr line needs the magnification to not rotate the entire eyepiece.
View Quote

If we are talking the 1-8 atacr model...
The .mil dudes (who this was designed around) love the rotating eye piece. Wrap it and use that for adjustment.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Prisms are very give and take but Trijicon is way behind at this point. I’m guessing they just don’t have the technology to cut prisms as small and precise as China does. In addition to that, building new forging dies is probably a challenge too.

I worry Trijicon has lost their steam. Their profits are dropping by tens of millions per year ($21,000,000 loss from 2021 to 2022 alone) and they’re just not doing anything to adapt to the market.

They need to knock something out of the park and they need it a decade ago. Their variable optics are decent but nothing that will wow people, so I’m surprised they’re not pushing prism innovation as they own the market for combat grade prisms. Primary Arms likely stole a lot of their business on the recreational front and it’s only a matter of time before someone puts modern prism technology in a non Chinese duty/combat capable platform.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Prisms are very give and take but Trijicon is way behind at this point. I’m guessing they just don’t have the technology to cut prisms as small and precise as China does. In addition to that, building new forging dies is probably a challenge too.

I worry Trijicon has lost their steam. Their profits are dropping by tens of millions per year ($21,000,000 loss from 2021 to 2022 alone) and they’re just not doing anything to adapt to the market.

They need to knock something out of the park and they need it a decade ago. Their variable optics are decent but nothing that will wow people, so I’m surprised they’re not pushing prism innovation as they own the market for combat grade prisms. Primary Arms likely stole a lot of their business on the recreational front and it’s only a matter of time before someone puts modern prism technology in a non Chinese duty/combat capable platform.
View Quote

they're going broke? huh. i figured they weren't doing shit because they were making money. all they have to do is offer good reticles, they have so many and they're all terrible. would it kill them to add wind holds or make a christmas tree that isn't some weird useless 50 mil thing that only has holds every 5 mils? the VCOG mil reticle is so bad, it's the worst of both worlds. takes up a ton of space without giving you any useful holds.
people are obsessed with those ACSS ACOGs, learn to take a hint.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hard to top that.

Primary arms:
Get rid of the chevron (that was a compromise for a compromise optic).
View Quote

And offer the GLX 2x with a green reticle please
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

they're going broke? huh. i figured they weren't doing shit because they were making money. all they have to do is offer good reticles, they have so many and they're all terrible. would it kill them to add wind holds or make a christmas tree that isn't some weird useless 50 mil thing that only has holds every 5 mils? the VCOG mil reticle is so bad, it's the worst of both worlds. takes up a ton of space without giving you any useful holds.
people are obsessed with those ACSS ACOGs, learn to take a hint.
View Quote

I wouldn’t say broke, coming in at $57 million in 2022. That’s a big change from an estimated $79 million in 2021 though. These are of course third party sights so who knows, but this probably aligns pretty good with the losses of the ACOG being dumped for the DVO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 1:25:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 is a great scope, with a few minor changes could be damn near perfect. Here are my desires starting with the most important first:

1. Thinner crosshair
2. More distinguished stadia marks to differentiate 1/2-Mil from full-Mil measurements on the reticle (maybe numbers)
3. A simple tree reticle design (akin to Bushnell G3 or G4)
4. 2~10x or 3~12x magnification

If they can maintain the low weight SFP design but improve the reticle, I'd be pretty satisfied.  

Quoted:
SWFA 12x42. lower profile turrets and maybe shorter overall length.
View Quote

I concur!
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#29]
End user replaceable tritium module/lamp on acogs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Leupold VX5HD 1-5×24 CDS-ZL2 Firedot.

1. Make reticle have some hashes for 18-19" width at 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards/meters placed about where most common bullet drops would be when zeroed at 100y/m.
2. Make Illumination control have an up and down buttons instead of one button. You could just split current button in half or to be two semi circles or make it a round rocker switch to keep curret location shape and size.
3. Add the push button locking windage from VX6 scopes as optional on VX5.
4. Add the 1 degree blinking dot cant indicator option of the VX6, but it stops blinking past 10 degrees and won't kill the reticle at extreme angles... we know we are off angle if that far off and we don't want the reticle to turn off we are shooting under a barrier and have the gun sideways.
5. Make whole optic shorter on next revision. (Hardest to implement)
6. Make elevation turret have same number of clicks/click-spacing but be in mils to give longer BDC range in just one turn of the turret compared to the 1/4 MOA and 24 MOA per rev and 96 clicks in one rev, .. so instead of the 8 mils in one turn which is the same distance as the 24 MOA on 96th click, which they have on other VX5HD scopes, but don't offer as an option on the VX5HD, tighten the spacing to make 95 clicks per rev, to have the same spacing as the MOA turret per click but make each click 0.1 mils so 9.5 mils in one turn. Or at least offer the curret 8 mils per rev as an option. But 9.5 mils is all most people need. My 6.5 Creedmoor hits 1000y in under 9.5 mils.
7. Allow the CDS ZL2 turrets to go 5 clicks under zero lock like the Mark5 turrets do.
8. Allow a full custom turret option where customers can type whatever characters they want on a turret in the provided spaces of turret sides (two rows) and on top. Also allow the same for a custom windage turret. This way, a user could do the following: instead of being limited to one BDC over two turns using your ballistic calculator, a user could have their actual drop data for two different rounds on one turret for a single turn. The space you waste to put "1 click = 1cm @ 100m" could be an abbreviation for a second round for the same rifle and we know the click value and altitude we used for our custom turret. The custom windage turret could indicate both the different windage zeros for two rounds and/or give 10mph wind holds each 100 yards/100m  for each round.
9. Offer blacked out markings

Leupold Delta Point Pro:
1. Make single button into up and down buttons for illumination as above.
2. Make body thinner.
3. 7075 body instead of 6061.
4. Harder and wider steel shroud.

Trijicon RMR/SRO:
1. Better aspheric correction on lens.
2. Less blue tint on lens.
3. Larger window on RMR.

Aimpoint T2:

1. 7075 body like M5.
2. Optional screw on elevation cap is a zero stop BDC dial for 300-600 when zeroed for 50.
3. A 1 MOA dot option.
4. Lower price.

Leupold Mark5HD 3.6-18× Tremor3 Illuminated:

1. Super thin firedot at center of reticle instead of open dot. Reticle center automatically brightens as zoom decreases to make low power more useful up close when reticle becomes too thin to see.
2. Make Firedot center above act as a level and blink when off by 1 degree like VX6HD.
3. Make body 34mm instead of 35mm and use 2000 series lithium aluminum instead of 6061 to keep strength, lower weight, and make rings/mounts less of a pain.
4. Tether for windage cap.

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Leupold Pig Plex with Firedot.

Primary Arms full size Gen III 3x prism but 6 ounces lighter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Elcan- longer eye relief(even if it sacrifices FOV), adjustable diopter, better mount.

TR24- put a bdc reticle with holdovers and ranging like the p4xi

Razor- lighter, integrated throw lever, reticle that allows some sort of intuitive ranging, and nv illumination settings
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top