Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 6:23:51 AM EDT
While back visiting my folks, my dad pulled out a couple weird clips. Two have the rings sewn on as shown, then he has two without. I suspect they are cavalry items, but have never seen anything quite like them. The clips themselves are very elegant - brass with black paint, and the springs are farily weak, although they are new - not like any heavy duty clip I've ever seen. I posted here because I figured you guys would have a better handle on something like this than the gear forum. My best guess is cavalry between WWI and WWII. Any ideas?

Here is a close-up of the spring, which is visible. Sorry for the lousy cell-phone pics.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a sling that I was told was a 70's era M-60 sling. It has the same hardwear.
I'll try to get some pics this evening

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a sling that I was told was a 70's era M-60 sling. It has the same hardwear.
I'll try to get some pics this evening

Thanks - I would appreciate seeing it. What blows my mind is how lightweight the spring pressure is, and how fragile the whole assembly is for an obviously USGI part. Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Morg,I sent pic to the head of our living history group,and owner of "The Dufflebag" the old fashion Army/Navy store I've told you about many times. This is his reply:
It is only a PIECE of a set of straps used to carry a spool of commo wire. The strap goes around the neck, with the spool in front of the guy playing out the line. This piece has no practical use on it's own.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Morg,I sent pic to the head of our living history group,and owner of "The Dufflebag" the old fashion Army/Navy store I've told you about many times. This is his reply:
It is only a PIECE of a set of straps used to carry a spool of commo wire. The strap goes around the neck, with the spool in front of the guy playing out the line. This piece has no practical use on it's own.

http://www.omahas.com/reel-communications-wire-with-strap

Looks very similar
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks exactly like it. Omahas is a nice store.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Now, where else but on this forum could morg have gotten this answer so quickly?
I love this place!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top