Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/20/2003 5:27:30 AM EDT
I was looking at an AR yesterday that had a flat top reciever. On the ejection port side, top rear, between the charging handle and the brass deflector, there is a small "A" symbol which I assume is the manufacturer's mark. Anyone have a clue as to who made it??? I Have seen a similair symbol on a Bushmaster removable charging handle, but Bushmaster's flat top upper has a "keyhole" symbol in the same spot. Also, how can you tell a cast upper from forged???

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:35:47 AM EDT
I'm sure someone on here can tell you which forge that mark belongs to, but it only tells you who made the [i]raw forging[/i] for the upper. As far as I know no manufacturer marks their uppers so there's no way to tell who did the machining & finishing on [i]any[/i] upper. IIRC Oly has a page on their site about how to tell a cast lower from a forged lower. Some of that would also apply to uppers, but I don't know of any cast uppers, except maybe the Plinker from Oly, but that's not a flat-top.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:34:41 AM EDT
These marks tell who did the raw forging, not the actual finish machining of the part. A broken up "A" is Anchor Harvey. The keyhole is Cerro metal products I believe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:53:03 AM EDT
I think the "A" is for Alcoa.
Top Top