Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 1:48:19 PM EDT
I'm trying to refinish some mags in this neutered state and sprayed down 4 mags yesterday.

I worked very hard to keep the coats THIN.  Even heated the mags with a hairdryer befroe applying the first (of 2) coat.  

I even avoided the 3rd coat that Brownell's recommends.  Tehn baked them at 300 for 30 min as reco'd.  Let them cool and reassembled.

The OK mags were tight in the magwell as Okay mags can be.  Extraction showed nice scrapes of teflon/moly coming off.  While I couldn't scratch it off with my fingernail, it appears less durable than I anticipated.

Did I really spray it on too thick?  Next set of ugly-mags are coming in soon.  I'll try again with the can further away from the mags.  Maybe try for less-than-perfect coverage on each coat.  But I thought it would bond better to the metal.  While Perma-slik wears off, it at least stands up to a scratch or two.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
A semi-on-topic comment:

I have found that the CRC brand Dry Moly Lube Spray is more durable than the Loctite Brand--both bought at Grainer Supply Co.

Loctite was a light gray
CRC is an od green/gray
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
What did you do to strip the old moly off and prep the surface?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The mags were stripped by use.  Nothing but anodizing left on them.  Prep'd by washing in Simple Green, then a liberal cleaning with Gun Scrubber.  

I guess it's no different than any metal paint.  I just thought that it would be a bit more durable with the bake-on setup and such.  I couldn't imagine using this on internal parts to a gun.  The finish would rub right off within a few cycles of the action.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought you were supposed to use acetone and soap and water to clean them up before refinishing...

TS
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
ive used the brownells stuff as well as kg gunkote.. all that stuff scrapes.. it looks good at first, but it wears and scratches..etc etc... i had my 1911 in gunkote..but it scraped up and wound up looking like dookie.. i said "screw this" and just parkerized it..

as for the magazines, even though i know they're gonan wear, im still gonna spray/bake'em when i get a cahnce.. they're just magazines..it doenst bother me too much if they get ugly.. so long as they work..and i'd rather have the comfort of knowing they're protected with teflon or such..
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top