Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2002 4:23:03 PM EDT
Hello, I have been interested in buying an AR for years, and am finally in the market for one. I do not wish to spend over $1000 bucks, and would like to know some good brands.

I have researched, and it appears BUSHMASTER has the "closest" to mil spec rifle out there. I want a AR that is not very trouble prone! While I know they have their problems, I want a brand with the best rep for having a reliable AR. BTW How is Armalite???? I would like to have an "original", but if their quality is subpar I guess I can survive with a Bushy or other brand.

Also one last thing, Im really interested in having something unique, how are AR-18's?? I like the fact that they have an op rod, and are realativly cheap. They are also a peice of history (to me at least) and aquiring one would be "neet". So how are they?? ( I find it kinda odd they only have a one year warrenty when all the other guns on armalites site have lifetime...)

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Both Bushmaster and Armalite are excellent choices.  I consider Bushmaster as the best Civilian made Ar on the market.  If you decided on either, you will end up with a very superb rifle.  Both Bushmaster and Armalite are excellent quality, excellent reliability, and superb customer service.

I don't have any idea about the AR18B, I do have a AR18 original, it is a nice rifle, but it does not have the accesories available for it as the AR series have.  You can always dress up an Ar to look very exotic.  

Hope this help.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
For starters, you should be able to get yourself set up quite well for that 1K you have to spend.

As for myself, I shoot both an A3 Bushmaster Dissipator and a Rock River Arms flat top M4. I also have extensive experience with the Colt M16 and the FN M16....neither of which has anything on Rock River or Bushmaster.

Both of my weapons are superbly made and I have shot each extensively since purchased new.  Neither have had any quality or performance issues.  While the Bushmaster is the closest to Mil-Spec you will find, I rate the Rock River Arms higher on overall quality and craftsmanship [by a narrow margin though].

Your choice must ultimately be made based upon your personal preference and upon the style you want versus the variations offered by either company.

For 1k you also should have enough to get a good deal on the weapon itself and drop a good sum down towards some quality optics [Trijicon Reflex II or Aimpoint Comp ML/2]if you go w/ an A3 version.

Can't address your AR-18 question.  Others herein should be able to help with that.

Good luck and ....choose well.

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Knifesniper,

I just got one of [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa3s16.asp] these [/url]

I could not be any happier with my 1st. Ar-15 purchase. See my [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=145835&w=searchPop] here [/url] post on the subject.

Good luck to you. Have fun.

EDITED; to change url, I posted a link to the Bushy with the AK style brake and I got the one without a brake. url is correct now.
Also to agree with MaximusDane, RRA is a good brand. I'm going to get an RRA for my 2nd AR. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Knife_Sniper,

Welcome!  I just ordered my first AR15.  I chose Rock River Arms  Elite LE Tactical CAR A4.  After all I have seen and read about, Rock River looks the best to me.  Their fit and finish is suppose to be the best.  Quality is there too.  The price is a great thing about Rock River as well.  Take a look at them before you make your choice.

www.rockriverarms.com

Goodluck with finding your AR!

Happy Shooting and Happy Holidays!!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top