Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 11:25:53 PM EST
I just went through a carbine course and found that my eyes arent as good as they used to be. At 100yds I was losing the reduced silhouette and having a hard time determining the center of it with the dot on the Eotech I run. I pretty much need a magnified optic. I hope to have my cake and eat it too, I love the close in speed of the Eotech and it's low light capabilities but I need some more reach. I'm keeping an Eo on my .45acp carbine but for 5.56 I want a bit longer legs.

So far I've looked at the Leupold 1-4x20mm leupold VXII but it has no illumination and doesnt seem to be a good choice for quick and close stuff. The IOR M2 has my attention but again doesnt seem like it will be very fast for close in work and I dont know how the eyecup will work with my prescription glasses. The Leupold CQ/T is on the far edge of what I can afford but seems a leading contender along with the IOR 3x25 setup.

Ideally the magnified Eotech would be best but it's up there with ACOGs in price and frankly I cant spend that much and the aimpoint magnifier on my current EO would be alot of money as well.

I really need some help on this, what's a guy on a budget going to be able to get that covers close up stuff as well as an EO but has some long legs too?

With the CQ/T having a 3-9MOA center dot how will that effect the groups I can shoot? Is the center dot too big for any precision?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:00:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 5:02:29 AM EST by imposter]
A scope that has daylight illumination is going to be faster than one that does not. Those are usually pretty expensive. You might look at the Trijicon Accupoints. I had one, but was not terribly impressed with the optics and sold it. Most guys here like them. They can be found for $500 new. You will need a mount that can move the scope farther forward.

A compact ACOG would be ideal. I had the TA50-4 and really like it.

There is the Meopta 1-4 which has a reticle visible in daylight, and the Leupold CQ/T, which both run about $700 new. It is my understanding that the CQ/T reticle is too dim for broad daylight.

As far as the reticle for the CQ/T, 3 MOA may seem kind of big, but I have no problem hitting targets at 200 yards with my 4 MOA Aimpoint with no magnification. The target just needs to be a little bigger than the reticle, and you center the dot on the target. I like the idea of 9 MOA on 1x. Unlike most of these scopes, the CQ/T comes with a flat-top mount which will save you some money.

There is an illuminated Leupold VX3 1.5-5 with a circle dot reticle (like the CQ/T). The dot on that one is 1.6 MOA on 5x and ~5 MOA on 1.5x. Like the QC/T, the reticle will not be illuminated in broad daylight. I saw these recently for $495.

The IOR 3x seems like a good option and they are certainly priced right, but I don't know anything about the eyeglass issue.

If it were me, I'd save a bit more money and keep an eye peeled for a good deal on a compact ACOG or TA31F. YMMV. For most of the other options (except the CQ/T) you have to buy a fairly expensive mount to get correct eye relief, so they do not really end up being much cheaper than the ACOGs.
Top Top