Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2006 12:25:53 AM EDT
I just went through a carbine course and found that my eyes arent as good as they used to be.  At 100yds I was losing the reduced silhouette and having a hard time determining the center of it with the dot on the Eotech I run.   I pretty much need a magnified optic.   I hope to have my cake and eat it too, I love the close in speed of the Eotech and it's low light capabilities but I need some more reach.   I'm keeping an Eo on my .45acp carbine but for 5.56 I want a bit longer legs.

So far I've looked at the Leupold 1-4x20mm leupold VXII but it has no illumination and doesnt seem to be a good choice for quick and close stuff.   The IOR M2 has my attention but again doesnt seem like it will be very fast for close in work and I dont know how the eyecup will work with my prescription glasses.   The Leupold CQ/T is on the far edge of what I can afford but seems a leading contender along with the IOR 3x25 setup.  

Ideally the magnified Eotech would be best but it's up there with ACOGs in price and frankly I cant spend that much and the aimpoint magnifier on my current EO would be alot of money as well.

I really need some help on this, what's a guy on a budget going to be able to get that covers close up stuff as well as an EO but has some long legs too?

With the CQ/T having a 3-9MOA center dot how will that effect the groups I can shoot?   Is the center dot too big for any precision?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#1]
A scope that has daylight illumination is going to be faster than one that does not.  Those are usually pretty expensive.  You might look at the Trijicon Accupoints.  I had one, but was not terribly impressed with the optics and sold it.  Most guys here like them.  They can be found for $500 new.  You will need a mount that can move the scope farther forward.

A compact ACOG would be ideal.  I had the TA50-4 and really like it.

There is the Meopta 1-4 which has a reticle visible in daylight, and the Leupold CQ/T, which both run about $700 new.  It is my understanding that the CQ/T reticle is too dim for broad daylight.

As far as the reticle for the CQ/T, 3 MOA may seem kind of big, but I have no problem hitting targets at 200 yards with my 4 MOA Aimpoint with no magnification.  The target just needs to be a little bigger than the reticle, and you center the dot on the target.  I like the idea of 9 MOA on 1x.  Unlike most of these scopes, the CQ/T comes with a flat-top mount which will save you some money.

There is an illuminated Leupold VX3 1.5-5 with a circle dot reticle (like the CQ/T).  The dot on that one is 1.6 MOA on 5x and ~5 MOA on 1.5x.  Like the QC/T, the reticle will not be illuminated in broad daylight.  I saw these recently for $495.

The IOR 3x seems like a good option and they are certainly priced right, but I don't know anything about the eyeglass issue.

If it were me, I'd save a bit more money and keep an eye peeled for a good deal on a compact ACOG or TA31F.  YMMV.  For most of the other options (except the CQ/T) you have to buy a fairly expensive mount to get correct eye relief, so they do not really  end up being much cheaper than the ACOGs.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top