Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 9:46:06 PM EDT
I've never had a carbine length upper before.  I've read all this stuff about carbines, beating their bolts up worse and not being AS reliable as the rifle or midlength.  But, in the real world, aren't they still reliable?

I have an extra RRA Lower with a  6 position, collapsible stock and NM trigger.  It's a funny story but we needed one and ended up getting two.  We didn't think one of the guys was going to order it, but he did.   Well regardless.  We don't want to send it back we want to build another complete firearm.  We have a Colt A2 20" the other RRA lower with an ADCO recce upper and I think I want to make this next one a M4 type with the a4 flat top and removable handle in case I want to mount my scope on her once in awhile.  (when I say we, I mean me and my dad, he's got BRD and I just help him figure out what to get )

So, am I better off with a middy?
If I do an m4 barrel length, will I miss that 1.5 inches (difference between 16 and 14.5, which I'm thinking I wouldn't)?
Can you put the slimmer handgaurds on instead of those big chunky M4 ones?
Will it blow up faster than a rifle or middy if I shoot like say 2000 rounds a year?

Any help would be much appreciated.  You guys on this site make it hard to not want carbines.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a 16" middy (with med profile),
slap a FF quad-rail on there, and call it done.

If you think you can't justify a rail, your BRD is still in the early stages...

*there are people here who will shoot 2K over the weekend - you'll be fine!*
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Carbines are still reliable, make no doubt about that.  Yes, some say that the middy is a bit easier on the rifle, but I don't worry about such miniscule differences.  I have a carbine, and I will have a middy and a standard 20".  But that is the nature of BRD.  

As far as 2k rounds per year, I shot almost that last month.

Brian
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#3]
What about the extra 1.5"???

Anybody else got any advice??
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top