Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2020 9:22:33 PM EDT
Picked one of these guys up yesterday on a whim. Fit and finish seems to be really good. Just curious if anyone had any inside information as to if IWI made the barrel themselves or contracted it out. IWI is known for their CHF barrels, but I'm assuming this isn't CHF if they ain't advertising it as such. Any other tidbits of information would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Have any pics of the gun?  Are there any markings on the barrel?
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#2]
No pics yet. Marking on the barrel is: IWI 5.56 NATO 1:8 CrMoV
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Do let us know how it performs.  I’m a big fan of IWI for the Tavor SAR and have had my eye on the Zion since I first saw it online.  And if it’s not out of fashion to ask, what did you pay vs. the $899.99 MSRP?  Knowing the quality of their products that I have experience with, that is a crazy-competitive sticker price to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
What a coincidence, just picked mine up this afternoon.   This carbine looks fantastic.   Going to be a bitch to find a decent optic if for it though.  I don’t think LaRue even has any flip up BUIS in stock.   As to the above question, I paid $735.00 shipped to Oregon.  Purchased from Proven Outfitters and IWI has an LE program on pricing.   PSA had some in stock up until this week.  Just ordered a LaRue MBT for her.  

ETA:  The barrel is a socom profile, mid-length gas system and I believe it is Nitride finished.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I got it for $850 plus tax. Last one on the shelf. LGS said they fly off the shelves.

I honestly can't believe how good the stock trigger is. I'm actually currently taking the ALG ACT trigger back OUT of the rifle and putting the stock one back in. It's no Geissele, but there is ZERO take up, breaks like a glass rod with no mush before the break, and just FEELS great. No idea who they use for these triggers or if they make them themselves. Again, something I'd like to know along with the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a coincidence, just picked mine up this afternoon.   This carbine looks fantastic.   Going to be a bitch to find a decent optic if for it though.  I don’t think LaRue even has any flip up BUIS in stock.   As to the above question, I paid $735.00 shipped to Oregon.  Purchased from Proven Outfitters and IWI has an LE program on pricing.   PSA had some in stock up until this week.  

View Quote

Hey man. Great price, for sure! How does your trigger feel? I know at least two of these felt identical to my post above. Curious if this is a good trend among their stock triggers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hey man. Great price, for sure! How does your trigger feel? I know at least two of these felt identical to my post above. Curious if this is a good trend among their stock triggers.
View Quote

The trigger is fine, better than the stock triggers on my Colt’s.  But not so good that I won’t drop an MBT into it.  The two cannot be compared and for $80 it’s a no-brainer.   I’m not familiar with the ALG you mentioned but the stock trigger is fine.  I’m just a sucker for having to tinker and replacing the trigger is easy.  I wish you luck my friend as we venture into the wasteland in search of optics and buis.  

Oh, and congrats on the rifle.  These are keepers.

ETA:   Just pulled the trigger a few more times.  Mine has some creep in it for sure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Agreed. Far better than the Colt's I had, at least.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:26:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The trigger is fine, better than the stock triggers on my Colt’s.  But not so good that I won’t drop an MBT into it.  The two cannot be compared and for $80 it’s a no-brainer.   I’m not familiar with the ALG you mentioned but the stock trigger is fine.  I’m just a sucker for having to tinker and replacing the trigger is easy.  I wish you luck my friend as we venture into the wasteland in search of optics and buis.  

Oh, and congrats on the rifle.  These are keepers.

ETA:   Just pulled the trigger a few more times.  Mine has some creep in it for sure.
View Quote

Great... Thanks... Now I'm pulling the proverbial trigger on that LaRue MBT. How did I miss this trigger before?? Lol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Picked one of these guys up yesterday on a whim. Fit and finish seems to be really good. Just curious if anyone had any inside information as to if IWI made the barrel themselves or contracted it out. IWI is known for their CHF barrels, but I'm assuming this isn't CHF if they ain't advertising it as such. Any other tidbits of information would be appreciated!
View Quote

I doubt they sub out their barrels, IWI is a legitimate international military weapons manufacturer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#11]
From what I know I don't think they've got their US barrel mfg up and running yet, so those barrels are likely sourced.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I doubt they sub out their barrels, IWI is a legitimate international military weapons manufacturer.
View Quote

I contacted IWI and was told their barrels are made in-house, just at a different facility than the facility they use to make the rest of the Zion. He did state that every single part is made in house and not contracted out (other than the obvious). Also stated that the barrels are button rifled.

I still bet they have a contractor making the barrels, but that's just my assumption.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I would be interested in one with a CHF barrel.  Love my x95.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#16]
They can't be good if they are not PSA good
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I contacted IWI and was told their barrels are made in-house, just at a different facility than the facility they use to make the rest of the Zion. He did state that every single part is made in house and not contracted out (other than the obvious). Also stated that the barrels are button rifled.

I still bet they have a contractor making the barrels, but that's just my assumption.
View Quote

Interesting, either way I have no doubt they are putting out a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Another observation that isn't listed in the specs for the rifle: the buffer that it comes with is a H1 buffer. Puffy, too!

Pic of buffer on scale
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 3:24:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Just realized that the lower has a built in tension screw to prevent the upper and lower from rattling. Neat.

Pic of screw thing
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 3:31:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Last one. Maybe. I noticed the receiver extension has drain holes in the adjustment holes. I like it! Also, I noticed that the front takedown pin almost requires a tool to pop out, while the rear can be done by hand. By design? Something similar with the safety. It's easy to switch to happy mode, but requires almost twice the strength to switch bad to safe.

Extra holes in the tube
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Last one. Maybe. I noticed the receiver extension has drain holes in the adjustment holes. I like it! Also, I noticed that the front takedown pin almost requires a tool to pop out, while the rear can be done by hand. By design? Something similar with the safety. It's easy to switch to happy mode, but requires almost twice the strength to switch bad to safe.

Extra holes in the tube
View Quote

Probably just need broken in some more. It could also be due to the alignment of the pin hole of the lower and the pin hole going through the upper receivers front lug. How does it feel when the upper isn’t actually installed. When any of my builds have stiff takedown pins, I usually start trying to remedy it by installing a KNS detent. Working it in and out should also help it to loosen up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Probably just need broken in some more. It could also be due to the alignment of the pin hole of the lower and the pin hole going through the upper receivers front lug. How does it feel when the upper isn’t actually installed. When any of my builds have stiff takedown pins, I usually start trying to remedy it by installing a KNS detent. Working it in and out should also help it to loosen up.
View Quote

Same with it off as with it on. Its also just as hard popping it back in as it is popping it out, even after oiling as working it for awhile. Could just be a bad detent, of course.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Same with it off as with it on. Its also just as hard popping it back in as it is popping it out, even after oiling as working it for awhile. Could just be a bad detent, of course.
View Quote

Yeah, either the detent, the channel, or the detent hole is slightly too shallow and is causing too much spring tension. Easy fix either way.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I want to get one for my Jewish wife
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I want to get one for my Jewish wife
View Quote

Do it! Lol.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Wish they would do CHF CL 1:7 twist.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What a coincidence, just picked mine up this afternoon.   This carbine looks fantastic.   Going to be a bitch to find a decent optic if for it though.  I don’t think LaRue even has any flip up BUIS in stock.   As to the above question, I paid $735.00 shipped to Oregon.  Purchased from Proven Outfitters and IWI has an LE program on pricing.   PSA had some in stock up until this week.  Just ordered a LaRue MBT for her.  

ETA:  The barrel is a socom profile, mid-length gas system and I believe it is Nitride finished.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/121283/9A9BAE8B-9CBD-42E8-A7A2-50208CBD1C55_jpe-1464988.JPG
View Quote

I just picked 1 up a few days ago, but you got an awesome price! I paid $828 shipped on GunBroker ,best I could find.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Have you guys had a chance to go out and shoot yet? How does it perform?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Unfortunately I haven't gotten out to shoot it yet :(
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have you guys had a chance to go out and shoot yet? How does it perform?
View Quote

Not yet.  I have some iron BUIS arriving tomorrow from LaRue and a cheap red dot from PSA to fill the void until
I can get a better quality optic.  Provided everything is delivered tomorrow as scheduled I should be able to get out sometime between Saturday and Monday to shoot.   I’ll update.  I was able to install the LaRue MBT as it shipped right away.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Good, I ordered 2 from Proven Outfitters, but won't get to pick them up for a few more months. Been waiting to see some accuracy tests.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 3:12:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not yet.  I have some iron BUIS arriving tomorrow from LaRue and a cheap red dot from PSA to fill the void until
I can get a better quality optic.  Provided everything is delivered tomorrow as scheduled I should be able to get out sometime between Saturday and Monday to shoot.   I’ll update.  I was able to install the LaRue MBT as it shipped right away.
View Quote

I was actually planning on ordering the MBT trigger. Not sure if I should get the double or single stage. What are your thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was actually planning on ordering the MBT trigger. Not sure if I should get the double or single stage. What are your thoughts on that?
View Quote

I have no experience with the single stage trigger.  I have both the straight bow and curved trigger in the MBT line-up and I am very happy with them. I have one Giesele (can’t recall the model) for a large pin Colt and I cannot distinguish a true difference but I’m not a high volume shooter who might notice these things.   The MBT is an upgrade from the stock trigger for sure and for the price you can’t go wrong.  

While I’m at it, I was able to get out on Sunday and put 100 rounds through the rifle.  Sighted in a set of flip up irons (still searching for an optic).   80 rounds of American Eagle .223 and 20 rounds of Russian steel case, lacquer finished.   The rifle shot fine, no concerns.  For comparison, my other rifles are Colt 6920’s and next outing I will take a Colt to shoot back to back to see experience the mid-length recoil difference.  

This pic is sighting in the BUIS at 50yards from a rest.
Attachment Attached File

This is standing at 50 yards.  Be kind, my eyes are 53 years old.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Took her out again this afternoon and sighted in a cheap Sig optic.  The pic below is five rounds of Red Army Standard, steel case .223 from a bipod at 50 yards.

Attachment Attached File

This is a mix of RAS and another Russian brand of steel case with lacquer coat fired at 50 yards standing.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m taking an Intermediate Carbine course this Sunday, I’ll update with how the carbine performed.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Tagged. I already have too many rifles, but I like IWI products in general

I hope they expand the line and offer different barrel profiles and lengths in the future. Hopefully the new tooling leads them to introduce the piston driven Arad stateside
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#37]
AAR.    Intermediate Carbine course today and I’m wiped out.  Upper 90’s which is rare here in Oregon.  435 rounds fired.   Red Army Standard steel case .223 (white box).  I had one failure to extract at around 300 (which was approximately round. 500 through the rifle).  No other issues, the carbine shot great and it was a joy to shoot.  Going to give her a thorough cleaning this week and then I have another 2,000 rounds of steel case (1,000 lacquer) to burn through.  It was very dry and the carbine was exposed to a good amount of dirt and dust.   Very happy with this rifle so far.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Buddy of mine posted his latest acquisition.. a 12.5" Zion! Had no idea IWI even had these planned:

https://iwi.us/product/zion-15-pistol-5-56-nato/
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#39]
That 12.5 is cool. IMI coming out of the gate strong!
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Buddy of mine posted his latest acquisition.. a 12.5" Zion! Had no idea IWI even had these planned:

View Quote

Range report yet?
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wish they would do CHF CL 1:7 twist.
View Quote

Why 1:7?  1:8 should stabilize any production ammo.  I doubt anyone is going to use this rifle to load 80-90 grain handloads from a sled.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Range report yet?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range report yet?

None yet, waiting on sights apparently.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Are these made in Israel or the USA or other? Chromed barrel?
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#45]
They are made completely in the USA. IWI built a production facility in Pennsylvania, to serve the US market but also to protect against any import restrictions that may come down the road. The barrel is nitride but not chrome lined.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Why 1:7?  1:8 should stabilize any production ammo.  I doubt anyone is going to use this rifle to load 80-90 grain handloads from a sled.
View Quote

Why not? 1:8 is oddball. Stick to 1:7.

I’m more interested in CHF CL to be honest. I could live with a properly done CHF CL 1:8 barrel. A button rifled nitrided 1:8 barrel? Yuck.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top