Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2005 7:44:14 PM EDT
I keep hearing that the glass used in these scopes is even clearer than USO and Night Force NXS scopes.

IOR owners and users, are these claims true? Are these optics really this good?

And how well do they hold thier zero when using the variable magnification?

I love the look of the MP8 reticle. Are there any other pictures of the IOR scopes and thier reticles than the large "views through" thread?

Thank you for any light you can shine on these claims and questions.

*edited to add another question.*
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what IOR you get.  Some of the M2 and M1's can look like pond water becuase of the coating on the lenses, but they are battle optics, they are not precision optics.

I own a 2.5-10x42 and it is very clear, I realy like it.  I dont know of the clarity of USO or NFX's but the IOR is nice glass for the money.  Very rugged with audible clicks and a great reticel in the MP8.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I can't say, but these past three weeks worth of research have shown me that they are all that they're cracked up to be.  Zeiss retooled and updated IOR's manufacturing facilities, as well as provided the lens coating technology found in their scopes.  Schott Glasswerks provides the lenses to IOR and scopes like Zeiss, Jena, Heinsoldt among others.  

I'm getting the funds together for their 6-24x50 35mm tube and if I fall a little bit short, it will be the 4-14x50 30mm IR w/MP8, but I really want that 35mm scope, which comes with free tac rings, so a bonus of $100.  At $1100, it ain't cheap, but it's a damn sight cheaper than USO, Nightforce and Schmidt and Bender.  It will go on a Remington Sendero in 7 Rem Mag.

Good luck, Chris
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds tasty!

I'm looking at a Savage 10FP LEA2 in .308 and mounting a 2.5-10x42 SSG with the 1 inch tube. Seems like a good combo (in my head) and the MP8 reticle is just so slick...

But I wanted to make sure that the few good stories I've read about them in the gun rags and on ARFCOM wern't just flukes. So I thought I'd get some more info on them in a single thread so i could go though it quicker.

Appriciate the info a great deal. If anyone has more to add please do.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about the IOR but the US Optics are rediculous (that is the only way to describe it.) They are just rediculously clear.  They are very heavy scopes though.    
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#5]
my nightforce is really clear imo
but then again i dont own a ior
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Today is the 4th week on order for a Savage 10FP LE2B for me, so great minds think alike!

I wanted to get two IORs for the 10FP and the Rem Sendero, but $2000 for scopes ain't gonna happen.  I may fiddle with the IOR on both if I get similar bases for both rifle, but I've got my eye on a new old stock Bausch & Lomb Elite 4200 4-16x50 for ~$400 delivered.  I know it's not trendy, but if you want to look through a bright and clear piece of glass, check one of the B&L/Bushnell 4200s out, at your sporting goods place.  Nor IR, nor range finding, but who cares, as the glass is pretty killer.

Good luck with your Savage 10FP.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]
i got a savage le2b not too long ago and mounted a nightforce 5.5-22x50mm on it

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I had an M2 for a short period of time.  It was pretty clear.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Best scope I ever looked through was an IOR 2x12.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Best scope I ever looked through was an IOR 2x12.  

compared to what?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#12]
The only experience with IOR that I have is with a newer M2 that a friend owns. The glass really IS that clear. For a scope that can be had for $340 it is really above its league. I plan on getting one very soon with the CQB reticle as soon as I receive my rings.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I had an M1 an an M2...great glass, yes it is clear.  

They eye relief could be better on these two scopes, but that's my only complaint.  I ended up selling them both...the .223 model in favor of an Accupoint, and the .308 because the FAL I had it on wasn't accurate enough to warrant a scope, and the eye relief was just too short on a gun with .308 recoil.  

If you're looking for a fixed .223 4x scope with BDC, you just cant beat the IOR...I just ended up switching to a 1.25x4 Accupoint as I thought it was a tad more versatile.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]
M2 owner here, very clear!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#15]
2.5-10 FFP Illuminated MP-8 reticle owner here.  Best scope I have every looked through.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I own the 4-14x50 with the mp-8 ret.  And I have to say it is built like a tank and the optics are excellent... Very clear glass and the reticle is very precise and easy to use.

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Another happy M2 owner.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I,m sold on the  1.1-4x26 CRT illuminated Tactical Scope - The Glass is Excellent !

I have spent tons on glass -the IOR scopes are hard to beat  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I keep hearing that the glass used in these scopes is even clearer than USO and Night Force NXS scopes.

I was not impressed. I bought an IOR and sold it soon afterwards. It made my eyes feel like they were straining through a bad pair of glasses. It was not effortless viewing IMO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was not impressed. I bought an IOR and sold it soon afterwards. It made my eyes feel like they were straining through a bad pair of glasses. It was not effortless viewing IMO.

Which model and how long ago?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I have met the folks at IOR and was very happy to see an Eastern European country competing with the rest of the world.
The old military machine of the USSR produced hardy equipment with simple designs. They prided themselves on the quality of their glass however, and always produced some fine optics.
IOR is refreshing in that the old style military thinking still goes into all their designs.
They are definitely not "hunting" scopes beefed up, but products of the military.
I AM biased, as I would like to see IOR grow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which model and how long ago?

It was the 2.5-10x42 Tactical scope with MP8 reticle, purchased around March of 2004. The photo I took through the actual scope looks great, but in field use it was as I said - like a bad pair of glasses. And I had (still have) a Leupold VARI-X III 3.5-10x40 Long Range to compare it to.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I have two IOR's, one 2.5-10 and an M2 CQB.  I have compared them side by side with our issue Leupolds (3 3.5-10x40's w/ 1" tubes, 2 3.5-10x40 M1 LR 30mm - all w/ Mil Dots).  I like the IOR better, as do all of the guys I have had shoot with it (talking the 2.5-10x42 on this, the M2 is good, but for a different use).  The IOR's really shine at night / low light.  The MP-8 is easier to Mil with IMHO.  Pics below of both of my scopes if interested.  PS, in field use I have had no problems.  Scope it tough as nails, optics are great, and I love the 1/2 MOA adjustments.  Val at IOR is great to deal with also.

2.5-10x42 on rem 700P

4x24 M2 w/ CQB reticle on Armalite

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Whats the deal with the MP8 reticules?

Are the tic marks measuring in Mils, MOA, feet, inches, ????
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Whats the deal with the MP8 reticules?
Are the tic marks measuring in Mils, MOA, feet, inches, ????

The longer hashes are 1 mil apart, the shorter are 1/2 mil.  The really short ones on the outside of the horizontal line are 1/4 mil.  It's a SFP reticle, so you mil on 10x (which is how I like it, but many do not).  It's easier for me to use than the straight Mil Dots (which is all I used before), but I have not tried many of the proprietary reticles (horus, etc).  For the money, though, I don't think you can beat this scope/reticle combo (for this type of rifle, anyway - for what I use it for  - have I qualified this enough?).

Also, I have never compared them side by side with anything but Leupold.  I don't know how they fare next to USO or NF scopes.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top