Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 4:45:30 AM EDT
I just bought an IOR M2 4x24 scope with the Drag reticle and the eye relief on it seems to be around 1 inch.  I haven't actually measured it, but my eye is very very close to the scope.  Is this typical?  Guy I bought it from put butler creek flipups and the lever on the flipup actually touches my face.  I guess I need to put the rubber eyepiece back on.  Awesome scope though.  

Also, the rings that came with the scope are supposedly IOR rings, but the only way to get them on is to slide them down the length of the rail to install them as they seem to be one piece at the base instead of two pieces that the screw tightens together.  
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My super M2 on a 308 bolt liked to eat eyebrow for lunch.  If its on a semi auto (AR) it will be fine.  I need to look closely in it to see the full vision area.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the IOR 4x24 M2 with Dragunov reticle.

I have not experienced any of the "short eye relief" problems others describe. I will say this, it is NOT long like my Burris scope eye relief. But it is certainly not 1" either. I'd put it somewhere around 2-2.5".

I don't use the rubber eye piece because on my AR-15, I cannot get the proper sight picture due to the cheek weld that I have. Without the rubber eye piece, I can see through it fine. No biggie. I actually like the rubber eye piece as it eliminates light from the sides as well as gives you the correct eye relief everytime.

I never get hit by the scope. The only way is if I hold the rifle VERY loose, and if I am wearing eye protection that buldges out. Only then might it catch my glasses a bit. But, you shouldn't be holding a rifle like that. Any amount of normal grip will prevent this from happening.

ACOG's are not better in the eye relief dept than IOR's. So I don't see an optics issue, but mostly operator issues.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I had both the M1 and the M2...great scopes, but I'm in the "eye relief sucks" camp.  With an AR, it's not so bad...not much recoil, so it's not that much of a problem.  The one I had on my FAL was punishing....especially since I wear glasses.  

I sold both of the scopes eventually.  Great glass, but I just ended up going with a low power variable on the AR, and gave up scoping the FAL...it's just a kit gun, and not accurate enough to warrant ia scope.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The eye relief on a IOR M2 is the same as on a 4x ACOG (about 1.0-1.5 inches), as close as I could measure it.  I have found that the eye relief is adequate if the optic is mounted on a rifle with a full-length buffer.  Mounted on a rifle with a carbine buffer, I get tapped if I don't have the rifle cranked into my shoulder.

If you are handy with a dremel, you could improve the eye relief on the IOR by cutting down the housing for the rear lens.  Been thinking about doing this to mine when I find the time.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top