Aluminum free float, black

Standard bolt carrier
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Any input on this would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Lookin good so far!

Just one comment...Why the front sight gas block? You don't see the front sight when you look through a scope or optic since you are not focusing on it; it's kind of hard to explain, since I have never actually experienced it myself (working on my first build here, as well!)

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]

You don't see the front sight when you look through a scope or optic since you are not focusing on it

Yeap, found this out when I mounted a scope on one of my carbines. Looking through the scope you couldn't tell that there was a big iron sight directly in front of it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Lookin good so far!

Just one comment...Why the front sight gas block? You don't see the front sight when you look through a scope or optic since you are not focusing on it; it's kind of hard to explain, since I have never actually experienced it myself (working on my first build here, as well!)

Good luck!hr

Well I'm up in the sire about the gas block. I was thinking about getting a flip down front sight that I could remove. I've also seen some nice Yankee Hill GB/Sights also. The flip down front sight has been a maybe thing for me. I know I want a flip down rear, I'm just not 100% on the front. That's the biggest reason I'm asking for input on this.

I've been doing some reading on here since I registered and noticed a 50/50 swing on M1S products concerning thier chrome line barrels. I figured a S/S would suit me due to it's ability to stay pretty much corrosion free through it's life. This upper won't be my last. I'd like to get a 20"-24" Varmint Upper eventually also.

I've always loved the AR15 due to it's versitility, I'm glad I'm finally getting one again. My last one was a Carbon 15 that I never even took out of the box to fire
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ameetec Stripped Lower (Ordered)

M1S

16'' AR15 C.A.R. Kit

.223 Rem

A3 with gas block sight base

Stainless steel, 1-8 A2 FH

Collapsible M-4 stock & grip, black

Aluminum free float, black

Standard bolt carrier

Keep in mind I'm not trying to be an ass, I just naturally come across that way sometimes! That said I'm not following your train of thought on this project at all? Your parts selection seems (to me at least) all over the map? Let's back up a minute. Why don't you start by telling us what you are trying to accomplish? What will the gun be primarily used for? What are your requirements? What's your budget?

You mention parts like SS barrels, Aluminum FF tubes and gas block with fold down sights. That sounds like a varmint\target type of a gun but you also mention 16" CAR kits and Collapsible M4 stocks which says small, light weight tactical weapon?

Give us some more info and we can better advise you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Lightweight really isn't an issue. The weight isn't a concern to me. My budget is $550 or so +/- I want to shoot both open sights and with a scope up to about 300 yards. I like the CAR stock for it's ease on storage abilty. My biggest probelm is I'm pretty indecisive as to what I want the finished rifle to be. I want everything form it possible at some point.

Sorry I can't be more clear....I basically figured this would be a good start for a good all around rifle eventually. Getting some of it when I buy the whole kit can save me some $ down the road.

I've also seen about 10 different flip down rear sight for them. WHat do you think is the best suited for distance shooting?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a 5.56 chamber or you will be stuck shooting Wally World ammo.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Get a 5.56 chamber or you will be stuck shooting Wally World ammo.

I can reload also since my dad's got the equipment, but I'll definitly keep that in mind
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Sorry I can't be more clear....I basically figured this would be a good start for a good all around rifle eventually. Getting some of it when I buy the whole kit can save me some $ down the road.

Well in that case I would recommend chrome-lined rather than SS unless you are really looking for a precision shooter.  I would also recommend a free float tube with rails so you can add stuff later as you see fit (vertical foregrip, bipod, etc.)

I can't believe no one's said this:

Post some pics when it's done!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Lightweight really isn't an issue. The weight isn't a concern to me. My budget is $550 or so +/- I want to shoot both open sights and with a scope up to about 300 yards. I like the CAR stock for it's ease on storage abilty. My biggest probelm is I'm pretty indecisive as to what I want the finished rifle to be. I want everything form it possible at some point.

I've also seen about 10 different flip down rear sight for them. WHat do you think is the best suited for distance shooting?

IMO, weight should be an issue but what I was really getting at is balance. A 16" HBAR in a CAR configuration has horrible balance. Personally I don't think an HBAR has any business being on an AR unless it's setup as a varmint\tactical rifle that will always be used on either a bipod or bench.

AUT_BELLUM gave you good advice about the chamber. IMO again, 5.56 only unless accuracy is it's #1 objective.

I think you will see $550 is a tight budget, especially if you want optics. In your case, you might be better off buying a used AWB configured carbine and just shoot it for a while till you know what you really want. At that point you should be able to salvage\re-use most of the parts and just upgrade\replace the parts you need to in order to get the weapon that you then really want.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]
unfortunatly the build i want to do, i can't buy just the parts outright. i'm going to have to buy some pre-assembled parts and then modify them.

That said, here's my build:
Mega Lower w/ 6 pos stock ($229)
Single Stage RRA Trigger
JDTactical Chrome Bolt & Carrier ($160)
DPMS Tuber 16" upper assembly ($459)

I will probably find some sort of extended rail system to run down the length of the barrel. I want to have rear and front post sights as well as optics. I'm not really sure what kind, if any, of pistol grip i'm going to put on it (aftermarket that is)

I'm going to paint most of the assembly white, the pistol grip, stock, m203 hand guard, and barrel tip will be black.

over all it's going to run just over a grand.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#12]
You will want the 5.56 chamber even if you reload.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the 5.56 Chamber
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO, weight should be an issue but what I was really getting at is balance. A 16" HBAR in a CAR configuration has horrible balance. Personally I don't think an HBAR has any business being on an AR unless it's setup as a varmint\tactical rifle that will always be used on either a bipod or bench.

AUT_BELLUM gave you good advice about the chamber. IMO again, 5.56 only unless accuracy is it's #1 objective.

I think you will see $550 is a tight budget, especially if you want optics. In your case, you might be better off buying a used AWB configured carbine and just shoot it for a while till you know what you really want. At that point you should be able to salvage\re-use most of the parts and just upgrade\replace the parts you need to in order to get the weapon that you then really want.

I'm on the fence as far as stocks. I want both collapable and an A2 stock. It's just a matter of which one I get first. I'll cost me about the same either way I go. I haven't seen a good 4 or 6 position stock for under $75 which is about the cheapest I've seen an A2 stock also. The A2 will throw $10 onto the kit cost.

I thought more last night about a free float. I'm not exactly sure of the benefits of a free float. Can some one fill me in on that also?

I will definitly go with the 5.56 NATO on the chambering. I honestly don't know why I selected .223 I already have my optics covered so that's not a problem for me.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top