Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 12:21:30 PM EDT
I am a newbie and I wanted to remove the front sight of my LMT 14.5" barrel and replaced it with something better. But in order for me to do that, do I first have to remove the flash hider before I can remove the sights? Would I ruin or destroy the thread of the barrel? How are these flash hiders attached? Welded or using Loctite? How would I remove it? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a steady hand and a Dremel, you could cut the FSB real thin around the barrel and break it off.

There are clamp on sight bases such as the Yankee Hill. That's what I'm considering doing to one of mine.

YMMV.

Danny

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
If they're post ban, they either have to be silver soldered on, or blind pinned, correct?

Silver Solder melts at over 1100, iirc, so you need a MAPP gas torch to get there.  Maybe not good for the barrel, according to some folks.  

Blind pinned, I don't know what you can do for that.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
WHat is permed on it, and who did it? Ive removed Hundreds of permed brakes/hiders.(i work for an AR-15 Cutom shop) Every Manufacturer, as well as every smith does it a little different. I would recomoend NOT heating it up and trying to turn it, as this will more than likely rip all the threads off your muzzle, and being a 14.5 BBL, the only way to fix would be go shorter which equals SBR. Most factory perms have one/two hardened pins placed in small divots, in the barrel thread, and are then welded over, blasted, and reparked. Usually you can see the weld spots, they appear darker ( BM welds theirs Top and bottom,  ARmalite Welds on a 45 degree angle with a 1/8 pin inside, Most small smiths weld on bottom. Take to a GOOD smith and have him grind / mill the hardened pins that are protruding into the barrel out. THEN unscrew FH  then when you done with your new parts installation, have a new muzzle device re permanently attached. I have seen too many times people trying to remove their own FH's and MB's and dremel / drill right into the barrel ruining the end of the barrel, Trust me its much easier to take it to a pro, and have it done rightthe first time, then to attempt it yourself and end up spending more $$$ to get it fixed AFTER you fuck it up.
Anyway thats my $0.02

www.adcofirearms.com

edited for grammar
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#4]
These are made by LMT's.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Chopsaw?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I can remove it for you for free...if you try you will damage the threads..please feel free to call 480-367-9540
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top