Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2013 3:00:51 PM EDT
As I'm sure is the case with many of us here, I've recently completed a new AR15 build. Unfortunately, being in a ban state, I had to decide how to address CT legal requirements with an AWB-compatible stock.

As the selection of non-adjustable rifle stocks in the market leaves much to be desired, I decided to get a Magpul MOE stock and pin it to my preferred length.

There are a number of methods out there, but I think I found a perfect way to fix a stock that...
1) permanently fixes the stock to the buffer tube in a way that I believe would pass scrutiny,
2) does not damage the stock or the buffer tube, and is reversible,
3) and can be adjusted with simple tools in a few minutes if you need to change the stock length.

1. Disassemble the pin mechanism of the stock. Use a punch and hammer to remove the roll pin holding the mechanism in place.

2. Note that a .223/5.56 cartridge is approximately the same size as this mechanism. An empty cartridge is the basis for your new stock pin.

3. Push the shell into place in the stock, and mark it with a punch in order to act as a guide for drilling a hole.

4. Drill a 3/32" hole in the shell where you marked it. I used a 1/16" bit to start and then drilled out the larger hole after. It can be tricky to drill straight, best to use a press with the shell firmly held in place.

5. Next mark the shell about a centimeter off the end for cutting.

6. Cut the shell with a pipe cutter (or hack saw, or whatever else you can cut it with...)

7. Cut a couple of small piece of heat-shrink tubing, and heat-shrink them over the end. This makes the diameter of the cartridge neck a little wider to fit in the stock holes better.

8. Test fit the shell, perhaps wrap some tape around or add another layer of heat-shrink tubing if it needs a little extra. I find 2 layers of heat-shrink is fine.

9. Test fit the cartridge in your stock. Alternately, you could paint it first if you prefer black (or some other color) to the brass, which will show on the side of your stock.

10. Hammer the roll pin from the stock back through your new cartridge pin.

DONE. You now have a fixed stock, in whatever position you decided to attach it.

Note that I am not providing legal advice, however it is my humble opinion that this is now an acceptable fixed stock for CT, and probably other AWB states. It will require a hammer and punch in order to change the position of the stock, and cannot be done by hand.

As for the strength of this pin, it's just a brass cartridge so I wouldn't go slamming the stock on the ground. But it works for me for everyday use.

Any feedback? Hope this will be useful for some folks.

I made some spares if anybody wants one. Not free, but inexpensive. PM me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 7:32:44 AM EDT
Nice write up
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 8:13:26 AM EDT
Interesting method. I always used a much simpler method of drilling through the stock into the bottom of the receiver extension and then hammering in a roll pin. Do this 2-3 times from opposite sides and don't drill all the way through the other side of the stock.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:15:32 AM EDT
Nice solution and write-up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 9:36:47 AM EDT
I did exactly the same thing to pin a Colt/Rogers stock, except I used a piece of aluminum tube instead of the 223 case.

Great write up!!
Top Top