Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2005 1:52:36 PM EDT
I don't have access to a reloader, is there a safe way to demil a round? Soak in acetone for a few days, then soak in water for a week?? Drill hole underwater near mouth of cartridge??soak more? Is this just a bonehead idea/ good way to lose digits?? anyone actually done it??
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of dummy round/rounds do you need?  If you want .223 or .308, I'll make a few up for you if you pay the shipping.

They will be deprimed(or I could leave the spent primers in them)  and drilled with the bullets set and crimped.

IM me if it fits your need.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the offer Tommygun. I sent IM couldn't tell if it sent? I forgot to say .223.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why not buy some snap caps?

I'm interested in the same thing.  I have snap caps but would like some just plain dummy rounds for use at the range, doing clearing drills etc.  Less expensive if they're lost.

Tommygun since you're making some how would I get the money to you?
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have an army surplus near by , they usually have dummy rounds !
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Allclock,  activate your messaging. Tried to reply but can't.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Dummy rounds would indeed be nice to have!

IM inbound!
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]

If you want dummy rounds, check these out:

www.stactionpro.com/default2.asp

I bought some on the recommendation of the guy teaching a class I was taking, and they worked great. The bright orange plastic is very easy to spot on the ground at the range. The other dummy rounds I saw there were painted red, and didn't stand out nearly as well. If you are doing these yourself, I'd recommend some sort of marking so you can find them easily.

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:16:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I bought some on the recommendation of the guy teaching a class I was taking, and they worked great. The bright orange plastic is very easy to spot on the ground at the range. The other dummy rounds I saw there were painted red, and didn't stand out nearly as well. If you are doing these yourself, I'd recommend some sort of marking so you can find them easily.

A red magic marker will do the trick.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 6:29:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I strongly recommend a dummy round that is boldly painted to look radically different than a live round.  I wouldn't want to read a "I was doing clearing drills with what I thought was a dummy round when.................." post.

CWO
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#12]
theres a reason why snap caps are bright red
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Tommy, I activated IM. Thanks for the offer!
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Another fear I have with snap caps is cycling the plastic thing between live rounds.  I want to mix dummy rounds into a magazine at random at the range.  I don't know if the plastic can stand up to it, it might be able to, I just don't know.  These aren't for drills at home.  I have snap caps for that.

I also don't want my shooting partner to be able to see what mag I put the dummy in to, much less likely with this route.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And what is it?

I can't think of anything that is more apt to be treated like a toy than something that is colored and looks like a toy.

Personally, I'd never use colored dummy rounds for clearing drills on a live fire range.

I think snap caps are red so they won't be loaded into a magazine mistakenly for live ammo and be carried.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Another fear I have with snap caps is cycling the plastic thing between live rounds.  I want to mix dummy rounds into a magazine at random at the range.  I don't know if the plastic can stand up to it, it might be able to, I just don't know.  These aren't for drills at home.  I have snap caps for that.

The rounds I posted the link to can be mixed in mags with real ammo, no problem. They use real ammo cases, and then insert the orange plastic "bullet". I used them mixed in with real ammo in a few classes I have been to lately, and they performed just like you are wanting them too, ie. a round that does not fire, and needs to be manually cycled.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1

I have been using the STAction Pros during classes as well and work great (Probably the same classes, Bruce K. and Jeff G....?). The snap caps are harder to find than you might think if there is a lot of brass or shotgun shells on the range. The bright orange of the actions pros works well, and they hold up to repeated loading. For both the price and piece of mind, I don't think you can go wrong...

Dave

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I have been using the STAction Pros during classes as well and work great (Probably the same classes, Bruce K. and Jeff G....?). The snap caps are harder to find than you might think if there is a lot of brass or shotgun shells on the range. The bright orange of the actions pros works well, and they hold up to repeated loading. For both the price and piece of mind, I don't think you can go wrong...

Dave

Buy from  Marshal and Carol, I knew them when they was still here in Ohio,  used to shoot IPSC with them.  

My understanding is the cases are std part, and the bullet is a hard ABS pastic.

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Great link! Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why not buy some snap caps?

+ a gazzillion
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Did the two people who were sent dummy rounds get them?

How about answering your IMs?

Thanks
--Tom
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And what is it?

I can't think of anything that is more apt to be treated like a toy than something that is colored and looks like a toy.

Personally, I'd never use colored dummy rounds for clearing drills on a live fire range.

I think snap caps are red so they won't be loaded into a magazine mistakenly for live ammo and be carried.

Why are snap caps different color (red, orange, etc) then live rounds, and why you'd better use colored dummy round for clearing drills on a live fire range? I will give you a couple good reasons:

1. Dummy rounds can be recycled for future use. Unless you want to throw away the dummy round every time you use them, otherwise you might want use one that stands out from the rest of the empty casings on the ground (especially true at outdoor range). If your dummy round looks just like a live round, good luck trying to find it mixed in thousands of fired casing and dirt on the ground.

2. I have a 50cal rifle ND next to my unprotected ear, because there was a dummy round that look like a real round; at the same time, there was a live round around. The dumb-ass failed to check first and shove the live round into the gun and pull the trigger to show customer how a .50 cal bolt action rifle works thinking he was using a dummy round. Imagine the same thing happen to you, worse if the "supposed dummy round" killed your love ones.

Dummy rounds need to look as differnt from live round as possible, for safety reasons. If you still think dummy round should look like live rounds, I'd stay as far away from you as possible, for my own safety.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Why are snap caps different color (red, orange, etc) then live rounds, and why you'd better use colored dummy round for clearing drills on a live fire range? I will give you a couple good reasons:

1. Dummy rounds can be recycled for future use. Unless you want to throw away the dummy round every time you use them, otherwise you might want use one that stands out from the rest of the empty casings on the ground (especially true at outdoor range). If your dummy round looks just like a live round, good luck trying to find it mixed in thousands of fired casing and dirt on the ground.

2. I have a 50cal rifle ND next to my unprotected ear, because there was a dummy round that look like a real round; at the same time, there was a live round around. The dumb-ass failed to check first and shove the live round into the gun and pull the trigger to show customer how a .50 cal bolt action rifle works thinking he was using a dummy round. Imagine the same thing happen to you, worse if the "supposed dummy round" killed your love ones.

Dummy rounds need to look as differnt from live round as possible, for safety reasons. If you still think dummy round should look like live rounds, I'd stay as far away from you as possible, for my own safety.

Pffftt.......Please do.

Maybe you're in better company with the "dumbass" who blew off a .50 next to your  unprotected ears.
Using dummy rounds doesn't absolve anyone from not exercising proper safety on any range or at any time.   I consider every gun loaded ALL the time.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Pffftt.......Please do.

Maybe you're in better company with the "dumbass" who blew off a .50 next to your  unprotected ears.
Using dummy rounds doesn't absolve anyone from not exercising proper safety on any range or at any time.   I consider every gun loaded ALL the time.

Sure will do. Consider that your dummy round would look like a live round, I catagorize you in "potential dumb-ass" catagory. Everyone consider themselves safe until shit happens, then it's too late.

ETA: I live in PRK, work at a gun shop where the law require all handgun user to "demostrate" their knowledge on how to safely load and unload a handgun before they can pick up the gun they purchased. Some of those customer are flat out morons and should not own a firearm IMO. The demostration would require use of dummy rounds, and I will be extremely uncomfortable if the dummy round in use looks like live round while them fumbling a handgun within arms length from me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:23:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Larry.....the envelope was waiting for me on the kitchen table.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Drill a hole through the case before seating the bullet, leave the primer pocket empty, and you'll have both a visible AND tactile indication that this is not a live round.  Military dummies are usually knurled or have lengthwise grooves rolled into them for identification.

You could also do something to make the dummy round even more identifiable.  The folks that handle guns for "Stargate SG1" have to simulate live ammunition for some shots, but they NEVER let a single live round anywhere near the set.  How to tell?  They use dead primers (more than just oil soaked primers-that's never worked for me) AND they put a BB inside the case.  You shake it and it rattles?  It's a dummy!

I'm in the process of making dummies in .30-06, .308, and .223.  The holes I drilled in the .30-06 cases are too big for the BB trick, but I haven't drilled the .308s or .223s yet...

One other thing to consider is making sure the bullet WILL NOT come out of the case.  That could lead to accidentally leaving a blockage in the barrel, so crimp the crap out of the bullet!  Or even put epoxy inside the neck before seating the bullet.  Or both.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks Tommy, they are awsome. Very much appreciated! Very cool of you to offer your time to a stranger. Thanks...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#28]
A-ZOOM Precision Metal Snap Caps 223 Remington Aluminum Package of 2

I bought some of these for my 300 Win Mag bolt rifle.  I put a dial caliper on them and they (the 300 WM snap caps) are just a tad longer than the max length for a 300 WM should be.  In turn, they don't function in the rifle like they ought to, the extactor lets go of the case rim before the tip of the bullet clears the ejection port. But it still serves as a good dry fire cushion.

The rifle is a Browning A-Bolt II, and it uses a spring ejector like an AR does.

Here two others...
Tipton Snap Caps 223 Remington Package of 2

Pachmayr Snap Caps 223 Remington Package of 2

Quoted:
I strongly recommend a dummy round that is boldly painted to look radically different than a live round.  I wouldn't want to read a "I was doing clearing drills with what I thought was a dummy round when.................." post.

CWO

Good idea, how about someone use a NICKLE case to make one at home?  Assuming you don't have any nickle cases in your inventory that is, that way it would be easy to identify from the others.
Remington Brass 223 Remington Nickel Box of 20 $4.39
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Another option, to accomplish the same sort of effect, is to use blank ammunition.  They'll pop, but they'll sound and feel funny, and won't cycle the action.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Another option, to accomplish the same sort of effect, is to use blank ammunition.  They'll pop, but they'll sound and feel funny, and won't cycle the action.

I've got 200 rounds of linked 5.56 blanks sitting in the closet.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top