Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2016 10:16:50 AM EDT

The gas key on my AIM LW carrier came loose after about 500 rounds of simulated full auto from my binary trigger.  Bryan at AIM offered to replace the BCG, but I didn't want to pay the shipping back to AIM or wait for a replacement.  Here is the process I followed for fixing the key.

As you can see, the staking is heavy enough that the front screw won't come out of the carrier key, but it spins underneath the staking.

I acquired new Torx Plus gas key screws that exceed the grade 8 standard. These are McMaster Carr Item number 92610A190 http://www.mcmaster.com/#92610a190/=10yg49o

Then I cleaned the carrier. Took awhile. After cleaning I degreased the mounting surfaces and screws with brake cleaner.

After degreasing I applied Permatex No3 sealant. This application was a little heavy, but it shouldn't cause any issues.

I then applied Permatex High Temp thread locker to the gas key screws and gave the Permatex No3 a few minutes to set up. Then I seated the gas key, torqued the screws to 56 in/lb and re-staked the screws with a large flat bladed screw driver and a ball peen hammer.  A light tap and it pushed the metal into the screw.  You don't want a thin blade, as the goal is to push the metal and not cut it.  I also start light on the hammer strikes. You can always hit it again.  Now she's ready to go back to work.

I originally posted these pictures in another thread and it was suggested I put together a quick how to that people could search and find.  Hopefully some people will find it helpful.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.  I had a similar issue about a year ago with my bushmaster gas key coming a little loose.  I did a similar but less thorough fix
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Mods,this needs to be a sticky...
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I concur.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Great write up. I'll keep this in mind should I ever encounter the same problem.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Well done
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I concur.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I concur.  
I'm glad you guys like it!

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagging for reference.  Thanks for taking the time to document.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for taking the time to post up the pictures. That's one hec of a good job.

Tagged for sure
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Not to ask a stupid question, but how did you hold the bolt carrier while you were staking it?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not to ask a stupid question, but how did you hold the bolt carrier while you were staking it?
View Quote
I used the padded vise jaws, seen in my permatex no3 application picture, to hold it in place. I just centered the key in the vise a little more.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, j.  During the last general panic and shortage of AR parts, I had to buy a bare carrier from one supplier and a key w/screws from another.  I prepared the surfaces and coated the flats with the same permanent threadlocker used on the screws.  I staked the heads with a small cold chisel.  I like your idea of using a flat-tip screwdriver for the staking, I may try that if I ever have to install a gas key again. - CW
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice to see somebody that doesn't go crazy with the staking.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I just did the same fix today with permatex red gasket maker around the gas port hole. I used a Moacks to stake the key. The front screw on the gas key was broken so I had to extract the front screw fragment. I think some venders use cheap screws. I used a BCM gas key kit to replace the original key and screws. I still need to test fire it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I just did the same fix today with permatex red gasket maker around the gas port hole. I used a Moacks to stake the key. The front screw on the gas key was broken so I had to extract the front screw fragment. I think some venders use cheap screws. I used a BCM gas key kit to replace the original key and screws. I still need to test fire it.
View Quote
Who manufactured the bcg?

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Why aren't grade 8 bolts good enough?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Why aren't grade 8 bolts good enough?
View Quote
If they actually meet the old grade 8 standards, they should be fine.  I think the issue Pursuit sees is that no US manufactures utilize the grade 8 nomenclature and often times foreign screws don't meet their companies claims.

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spikes, now it works like a champ. Super easy fix with the right tools. I used a FAT torque wrench and the pocket moacks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#20]

I need to find the TM and make sure I'm listing the correct torque.  Dano listed 37in/lb in a recent thread.

ETA: Found one of the old TM's that list's 35-40in/lb.  Also found this thread that says the new manual states 50-58in/lb and Armalight specs 55in/lb.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/590110_Gas_Key_Screw_Torque_.html

I'm happy with my earlier 56in/lb, I think anything in the mid 50's is good.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top