Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 5:22:01 AM EDT
So how much land do you think would be enough to enjoy shooting without bugging the neighbors or drawing too much attention...30 acres, 50 acres?

Just looking for a minimum amount...I do know that my 0.5 acre isn't enough.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So how much land do you think would be enough to enjoy shooting without bugging the neighbors or drawing too much attention...30 acres, 50 acres?

Thanks.

Buy some suppresors and a large fence your .5 acres will be plenty.. just aim real real low
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#3]
In my state, and I think many others, it is illegal to shoot within 200 yards of a house, dwelling or any other building.  Assuming you have neighbors who have buildings right on the fence lines (coops, sheds, etc.), you will need a square 40 acre parcel (445 x 445 yards).
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't discharge a firearm within my city limits, which are also my county limits.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]

If you have a dry culvert or deep gulley with steep sides, it cuts down on noise and makes a great backstop.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks.

I got a friend who lives in Liberty just over the border from PA. He has a range set up behind his house on 10 acres. It can be done safely, but depends on your neighbors too. I live south of Syracuse, and over here if I shot off a rifle on 200 acres I would have the Troopers here in no time. I think it depends on your areas preception of guns, and sensitivity to noise.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
My father in law has about 30acres that we shoot on.  Its got a low field with a hill in the back that we use for a backstop.  

Like the rest of you, the only trouble we have to worry about is the neighbors...................When they hear us shooting they come over and use up all our ammo.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks.

Depends on how far ya want to shoot......and the property configuration.

Farm is abit less than 80 acres (part that dad owns, including his bro & sis about 100 acres total), that said though our 800 yard range here sets on a 43 acre tract.

As ya can see, from the back porch it's downhill (which is a good thing) so nary a round exits the property, which is very important, IMO. As long as the rounds you shoot don't exit your property, ain't much anyone else can do other than complain about the noise.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I own 3 ac. and a privite 100yd. range on the Shenadoah river here in Va. with no restrictions. However, there is a subdivision on the ridge above me so I try to limit my shooting sessions to the mid-day hrs Mon.-Fri., when most folks are are at work/school.  My 100-300 yd, and sighting-in sessions are done on a 150ac tract I long term lease for deer hunting.
Look for a piece of property with no restrictions. That was the main selling point when I bought my property.  I do not give permission for anyone to shoot on my property due to the somewhat small size. I hate to be like that but one bonehead move by someone else could screw-up what good will I have earned with the neighbors and local LEOs that I let fish on the river. I have invested too much time and money in my property for someone else to screw things up. Here in the East you have to "pay to play" and land just keeps going up in price. If you are young buy now if you can, don't wait. You'll be glad you did when you get my age (50). Around my area the days of just asking a farmer to hunt/fish/shoot are long gone. Most large tracts are sprouting houses and golf courses where I used to go to do those things. Thats why I bought my own river property and long term lease  hunting land. Good Luck in finding what you need. Its far better to buy/lease  land than to have to kiss someone else's ass for them to let you shoot/hunt on theirs.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Depends on how far ya want to shoot......and the property configuration.

Farm is abit less than 80 acres (part that dad owns, including his bro & sis about 100 acres total), that said though our 800 yard range here sets on a 43 acre tract.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1364

As ya can see, from the back porch it's downhill (which is a good thing) so nary a round exits the property, which is very important, IMO. As long as the rounds you shoot don't exit your property, ain't much anyone else can do other than complain about the noise.

Mike

Do you guys have to jump in a canoe to change the targets on the far side?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do you guys have to jump in a canoe to change the targets on the far side?

Naw, just take the 4-wheeler around the pond and a couple cans of krylon fix the steel up like new.

Little better view in this pic, for those tha haven't seen these before:

Nothing like stepping out the door onto the back porch complete w/ shooting bench, and funny as hell how dad has trained most of the crows in the area to cut a wide swathe around the farm, but yet he still averages 200 or so a year, (most shots between 300-600 yards). He also regularly catches yotes  between the back of the pond dam and 550 target (big hump) when they cruise by on ocassion.

FWIW, the water and the fact we shoot from a hill-top makes for a real shooting challenge most days as the wind may be moving a different direction down at the 800 from atop the hill and even our resident gun builder and dead-eye dick gets bummed at times over his group sizes at the far target (cus he's used to the "wind-protected" powerline R/W 1150 yard range we set-up down near his house, which is very nice to shoot on), but it makes for a great practice range.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#12]
That's my dream. In a few years I want to buy some land and be able to wake up in the morning, walk out to my back porch and hit some 300 yd targets. Right now I cann look out my window and see the flag on the 7th hole about 200 yards out but I don;t think the golfers would appreciate me popping off a few rouns at their flag
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#13]
No...and they get really hoppin' mad when you pick off their little white balls in flight....

TC
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Right now I cann look out my window and see the flag on the 7th hole about 200 yards out but I don;t think the golfers would appreciate me popping off a few rouns at their flag

Tell them you are defending yourself against the incoming golf balls.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No...and they get really hoppin' mad when you pick off their little white balls in flight....

TC

PULL!!! ... I mean FORE!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#16]
2 acres here and I shoot .22s and shotguns all day long w/o any problems from the neighbors. I dont shoot rifles much cause a mile or two behind my house theres other houses and such... Cane fields in between us though.

I guess I got some good neighbors :D Usually I try not to shoot too long when they are outside though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:57:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Mr_Wilson
What part of Texas? I might be reloacting in a couple of years. Don't worry, I'm not another left coast Yankee, I grew up in WTN. Just had to get out of Memphis.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:32:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mr_Wilson
What part of Texas? I might be reloacting in a couple of years. Don't worry, I'm not another left coast Yankee, I grew up in WTN. Just had to get out of Memphis.

Farm is located just outside of Nacogdoches, in NE Texas.

Nacogdoches is the twin/sister city to Natchitoches, LA and was the Indian center the Spanish discovered when they first arrived in the area probably around 1542 or so. The Nacogdoches Indians (Caddoes) were friendly and their word for friend was "tejas", hence the origin of our state's name.

Legend has it that the Indian town was founded when a Caddo chief on the Sabine River sent one of his twin sons three days to the west and the other three days to the east. The settlements they established were Nacogdoches and Natchitoches, Spanish and French spellings of the same Indian tribe.

History of this area extends back to a Paleolithic settlement which began IIRC about 10,000 B. C. and it's a fine piney woods area with plenty of history both for the state and my own family, come on down and take a look.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mr_Wilson

Farm is located just outside of Nacogdoches, in NE Texas.

Nacogdoches is the twin/sister city to Natchitoches, LA and was the Indian center the Spanish discovered when they first arrived in the area probably around 1542 or so. The Nacogdoches Indians (Caddoes) were friendly and their word for friend was "tejas", hence the origin of our state's name.

Legend has it that the Indian town was founded when a Caddo chief on the Sabine River sent one of his twin sons three days to the west and the other three days to the east. The settlements they established were Nacogdoches and Natchitoches, Spanish and French spellings of the same Indian tribe.

History of this area extends back to a Paleolithic settlement which began IIRC about 10,000 B. C. and it's a fine piney woods area with plenty of history both for the state and my own family, come on down and take a look.

Mike

Looks nice, but the closest I could get is the Houston area. I could get Dallas, but I don't think I'd want to be there. Is the topography similar? Land prices? Land availablity/cost is one of the things that is making me think of relocating a bit closer to home.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I only have 1.5 acres so Ive only shot my .22 some and my 20gauge shotgun once.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top