BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2004 11:44:36 PM EDT
Just curious - what do you guys (and gals) think USGI spec. mags will go for after the ban. I am not talking the day after, but assuming there is a period of time for the market to "stabilize" before the fear of another ban may come into play?

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
$12 new
8-10 used
NoKarma
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
$12 new
8-10 used
NoKarma

This is going to be so cool....I am going to finally become a "mag whore"

If they are going for $12 new...what kind of profit margin do you guess the dealer is making? I am guessing not much, but I could be wrong. I wonder what a mag actually COSTS at a large volume discount buyer price?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
$12 new
8-10 used
NoKarma

+1
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Went to a gunshow in Philadelphia and new in wrapper labelle 30 round teflon coated magazines with green followers are going for $30. Center industries 30 rounders new in wrapper going for $30.

After the ban, in my opinion ....$30

nothing will change
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Went to a gunshow in Philadelphia and new in wrapper labelle 30 round teflon coated magazines with green followers are going for $30. Center industries 30 rounders new in wrapper going for $30.

After the ban, in my opinion ....$30

nothing will change

I was going to put that option in the Poll, but did not. I was hoping I would not need to!!!!! Yikes!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
They have been going for aroound $20 each NIW in the last few months.  $30 is way too much even with a ban in place.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:49:29 AM EDT
[#7]
FREE!!!!!!

Really probaly around the $10 to $12 range.  Im sure some dealers will keep trying to jam people.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:56:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FREE!!!!!!

Really probaly around the $10 to $12 range.  Im sure some dealers will keep trying to jam people.

I like the FREE part!!!!.....but I bet the the prices are going to stay "elevated" for a while.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully theywill drop abit.

Im sure there will be dealers for awhile charging $30+ for them regardless.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:36:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont see them going below $12

- BG
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dont see them going below $12

- BG

$10 would be cool!

Does anyone know what they go for wholesale?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:13:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I am going to say $12 to $16. Most firearm manufactures are selling LEO post ban 30 rounders at that price.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
$12 new
8-10 used
NoKarma

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:41:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, someone in EE has NIW LEO's at $1,050/100 shipped or $10.95/ea+shipping.

After the ban ends I'm sure there'll be some awesome group buys being offered around here but I DO think you'll still see guys at the shows trying to get twice what they're available for

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Went by the local Army Surpplus yesterday to get some ammo cans and just for grins I checked the price that he had on used AR mags, $19.95, seems kind of steep even with the AW ban in place.  I think new mags will go for about $10-12 bucks each, NIW and used ones will be $6-8 bucks after things settle down. Also, won't the government be able to sell off it's used mags thru the CMP after the ban sunsets to "citizens"?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:08:35 AM EDT
[#16]
anything $15 or less in decent condition sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I cannot remember who it was, but a while back a member here said that when the ban sunsets they (the member) will be offering new USGI mags for $10 each. Maybe it's the seller that Treadhead is referring to above, maybe not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:28:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I think initially, they will be in the $15-$20 area, with them NOT getting below $15 ever.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think the used mags will drop to the $5 range. I won't even be buying new mags, just all the cheap used ones.

Exactly.  If te NIW ones drop that low, how low do you think the slightly used ones will be?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Even before the ban was talked about you had too look for new in wrap USGI mags for under $12.00, unless you wanted to buy like 50 or 100.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I think they'll stay priced in the $20 -$25 range for NIW and $15-$20 range for nice used ones for the short term, as demand will exceed supply. Then if we don't get a change in administration or another ban of some sorts, in the long term 1-3 years I think they "may" come down to the $15 range for NIW and used may then go for $10-$12.

Remember, there's a war going on and the current manufacturer is trying to keep up with the demand from the field. As part of the mobilization process most units discover that they do not have anywhere near the required authorization of magazines on hand. Of those that are, many are unserviceable and need to be replaced. I have even seen units that have only had half of their authorized magazines and what they did have were 20 rounders. While being fine for annual qualification, for mobilization they are a NO GO.

My point to all of this is that where do you think all these NIW current production USGI magazines will magically come from to flood the "No Ban" market place. The supply "we've" got is the supply we're gonna have for the short term. When the contractors who produce the GI mags finally catch up with DOD demand, I have my doubts they'll be allowed to "surplus" off overruns in the quantities that will satisfy the civilian market. Those that may "leak" out of the system will probably continue to be marked "Govt, Export and LE use Only" unless that is dropped from the contract spec. Regardless of the ban being lifted it would discourage the average civilian from possessing them while at the same time identifying them to help expidite the next ban.

As to wholesale price, the last time I looked, the Govt' pays around $7 for a new magazine. Since they buy them by the tens of thousands at that price, I doubt in todays market that any of the big dealers could touch them for less than $8-$10. So where does that leave us the consumers after the dealers mark them up to retail, probably back at the $15-$20 range. With supply low and the fact that we're paying it already, why would they lower their profit margin on a high demand money maker. While there may be some commercial concerns that jump in and crank out production to fill the void, who will that be. We certainly don't need U.S.A. or Fed Ord. to saturate the market again. Even if they could retail them at $10 they'd still be junk.

Sorry to sound like the bearer of bad news but knowing how the Govt' and our capitalistic system works, I just don't see it getting any better for the short term. Let's hope that it will in the long term, or that I'm totally wrong here.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:07:36 AM EDT
[#23]
If all the AR mags are going to our troops then where did Wholesale Guns and Ammo get the LEO AR mags that they were selling for $12.99 each?   I'd be willing to bet that once the ban goes belly up WE will be able to buy those LEO mags for $12.99 too, money is money and I'm sure that Wholesale Guns and Ammo doesn't care if it comes into their business from a citizen or LEA as long as they sell mags.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I say 9 to 12 $
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#25]
if LEO mags sell for $12 today (and they do), then thats exactly what all mags will sell for when the ban goes away..... or less.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#26]
TNFrank,

It is entirely possible the LEO magazines advertised by Wholesale Guns and Ammo or by anyone else were already in their inventory, or they may be current production. The only way to find out is to buy one and confirm the date of manufacture. These LEO magazines could have been made anytime within the last 10 years, and with the law/ban in effect the customer base to sell them to has been very limited. The point I was trying to make is that in the last 2 years new magazines are in short supply, and I'd wager to bet that 99% of that production has been going to the U.S. Govt'.  Although a small percentage may be going to fill outstanding LEO or Export contracts. This doesn't leave much if any production capability available to produce the quantities needed to satisfy the immediate No Ban demand.    

The wholesale price when they bought these LEO mags probably has a lot to do with the $12.99 retail. I also suspect that when the ban does go away, some distributors may indeed cut prices on LEO marked magazines to get rid of them, as they do seem to have a stigma attached to them regardless if they become perfectly legal to own after the ban. I suspect may people still won't buy them through either ignorance, or fear the next ban could target anything marked Mil/LEO regardless of when it was made.

So, $12.99 LEO mags will be good for us, but I don't see their supply lasting very long.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Mags aren't made for LEOs, the are made for military and LEOs.  While it seems like a small point to argue, it is a large difference.  M16/ AR15 mags will continue to run about $15-18.  Of note, even with the AWB in full swing, I never paid more than $10 for a used mag in great condition.

I do think that after the AWB dies, there are going to be a lot of "sales" and group buys on magazines.

I don't see many, if any places, selling new LE/GOV mags for less than $15.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's my 2 cents worth.  

The supply of GI spec 30 round magazines is pretty much fixed.  I am not counting the many lower quality magazines out there, but the Colt level of quality.  The demand once the ban sunsets will be hard to guage at this point, but it is sure to out pace the supply and current new production.  New 30 round GI current spec mags will be pretty scarce once the civilian demand is present once again.  

I have sold over 9k of 30 round new production magazines since the first of the year, I could have sold more but could not get them.   I get an alloation each month of new 20 and 30 round magazines and this has been the case for over 3 years.  

Supply of good magazines is tight.
Governemt./military production takes priority over commercial productin if required.  
There is currently a RFQ out for 300,000 mags with the option of 300% increase.  

Combine these factors and your throw a real monkey wrench into the works.  Don't expect magazines to be below $20 after the first of October.  I get $18 for mine now and will not increase to make a quick buck.  I am betting I will be out of stock by Oct. 1.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Here's my 2 cents worth.  

The supply of GI spec 30 round magazines is pretty much fixed.  I am not counting the many lower quality magazines out there, but the Colt level of quality.  The demand once the ban sunsets will be hard to guage at this point, but it is sure to out pace the supply and current new production.  New 30 round GI current spec mags will be pretty scarce once the civilian demand is present once again.  

I have sold over 9k of 30 round new production magazines since the first of the year, I could have sold more but could not get them.   I get an alloation each month of new 20 and 30 round magazines and this has been the case for over 3 years.  

Supply of good magazines is tight.
Governemt./military production takes priority over commercial productin if required.  
There is currently a RFQ out for 300,000 mags with the option of 300% increase.  

Combine these factors and your throw a real monkey wrench into the works.  Don't expect magazines to be below $20 after the first of October.  I get $18 for mine now and will not increase to make a quick buck.  I am betting I will be out of stock by Oct. 1.

Larry

How about New G.I. quality 20rnd. mags? Since they're not being used by the military can we expect to see them on the civilian market after the ban dies at a reasonable price, say $10 bucks or so for NIW 20rnd. mags. ?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#30]
A lot will depend on the demand.  Another factor is not as many quality makers of new production 20 rounders.  New 20 round magazines cost me as much as the 30 rounders do.  I will be selling 20s for the same price as 30s, but bet I have 20s when the 30s are all gone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
if LEO mags sell for $12 today (and they do), then thats exactly what all mags will sell for when the ban goes away..... or less.

Exactamundo
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone care to quess whether the magazine manufacturers are operating at max capacity, or just filling the orders they have from our downsized, under budgeted military?

Anyone care to pick up the phone, call and ask Adventure Line or whoever the current maker is, if they are going to be selling to non-military and LEO distributors?

Arc
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Keep in mind that the market will open for mil-spec mags from other competitors/manufacturers that may not be competitive concerning government contracts.  It will be legal for them to manufacture high-cap magazines for the public (and the public demand..which is now legal.. will justify the increase in their production).  The laws of economics work both ways.  When there is demand (given no restricting factors), a supply will fill the demand.   In fact I will go so far as to say that there will be a surplus in magazines by late next year.  Who wants to bet that there won't be a drastic reduction in price as well as an increase in supply of magazines by Jan 2006?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#34]
9-12
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Here's my 2 cents worth.  

The supply of GI spec 30 round magazines is pretty much fixed.  ...
Larry

Not really, they're making more every day.  What will be a factor is how scaled up production is relative to demand.

Like someone said earlier if LEO are going for $12.00 now, they'll be going for $12.00 after the ban.  Unless there is an initial surge in demand that will be about the price.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I am still curious just for the heck of it....does anyone have an idea what "cost" is for an average magazine re-seller?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#37]
12-15 after the market settles from the purchase rush.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I am still curious just for the heck of it....does anyone have an idea what "cost" is for an average magazine re-seller?

$7 is 'cost' for the Govt...

Can't be too far from that...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$7 is 'cost' for the Govt...

Can't be too far from that...

Hmmmmm......thank you!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I predict Forrest Inc. or whatever the name of that company is that advertises in Gun List, etc. will still bend over suckers customers!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Are you kidding?  It's like gas.  They cry shortage, price jumps up.  We get use to the higher price, when the supply increases the price never returns to what it was before.

The will stay $25 to $30
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:43:11 AM EDT
[#42]
All I can say is I'm glad I bought a shedload of magazines before the bans...I bought excellent quality used mags for $7 to $10 each (90% of them being OKay mags....) I even got some "Colt" mags (OKay manufactured Colt mags...dunno if they still do) for like $10. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $12/mag NIW....there is no reason these mags should cost more than that except for greedy dealers/distributors, but I do think that the prices will be high for a while after the expiration of the ban...but I'm sure there will be a few dealers who will offer mags at great prices...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Just got to work and looked up the current price the Govt' pays for a new 30 rnd magazine......... $10.41 each. A significant increase from this time a year ago when they were in the $7.00 range. Interestingly enough, there seems to be a new NSN (National Stock Number) in the system to use when the "old" NSN is exhausted. Price is the same though at $10.41, Hmmmm.

Could this be the new HK mags I wondered? Digging a little deeper I looked up the CAGE (Commercial and Government Entity) code and two were listed for both NSN's. One being the generic CAGE that is assigned to what use to be called Frankfort Arsenal. This and the CAGE code for Rock Island are used on a lot of spare parts as they are produced for the Govt', so the Depot becomes the source of supply as far as the Govt' is concerned. This makes it hard to determine who is actually producing the part in question. Now, the second CAGE did surprised me somewhat. I was expecting to see HK listed but what came up was.......... COLT. Has Colt and their supplier (Center) made a deal with HK to produce the new 30 rnd mags, I don't know and really DON'T want to speculate without corroborating (a Colt produced HK style Mag) evidence. So let's not get excited or our panties in a bind yet. Since the old NSN has been the same regardless of who has had the contract, and since they don't usually change an NSN unless the item is truly "New", it does make me wonder.

Regardless of whether it is the New Mag or simply the old one renamed, the price did go up. As I said earlier, considering they are buying them by the thousands, I seriously doubt We'll see any lower than the $15-$20 mark. Truly Mil Spec (manufactured) magazines will probably stay around $20-$25 for NIW . But I'm quite sure the sub-standard junk mag manufacturers will step in to meet the demand, No thanks.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Why haven't we tried to get a Group Buy on 30 rd mags??????  We do for so many other AR items.
"We the Willing, Lead by the Unknowing, Do what is Necessary, For the Ungrateful."
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Has Colt and their supplier (Center) made a deal with HK to produce the new 30 rnd mags

It is my understanding that OK Industries is Colt's supplier of 30 round magazines and has been for quite for a long time.  As to Colt and Hk making a deal, don't look for that to happen.  Colt sued HK over the Hk version of the M4 and there are some hard feelings which will last a long while.

Regardless of whether it is the New Mag or simply the old one renamed, the price did go up. As I said earlier, considering they are buying them by the thousands, I seriously doubt We'll see any lower than the $15-$20 mark. Truly Mil Spec (manufactured) magazines will probably stay around $20-$25 for NIW . But I'm quite sure the sub-standard junk mag manufacturers will step in to meet the demand, No thanks.

Well written.  Especially about the junk mag makers.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#46]

^^^ law of demand  ^^^
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#47]
I've never paid more than $15 for a 30rd mag in very good condition (get a few NIW for that price when I get lucky).

That being said, I don't plan on spending more than $10 for the same condition mags after the ban, maybe a couple more bucks for NIW mags.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#48]
It's not a natural resource guys, it's a manufactured product.  The Laws of demand will increase the supply.  If you don't believe that competitors will step up to fill the demand (especially those without government contracts), I'll place a bet with anyone here that the price will drop dramatically due to a surplus of magazines.  Anyone??
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#49]
NEW IN THE BOX LEO Okay made M-16 30 rd mags- $10.95 each plus shipping.

100 mag CASE QUANTITY PRICING @ $1025.00 delivered!

These are new mags ,these restricted M-16 30 rd magazines are made by Okay, they have green followers and must be shipped to a FFL or LE Dept, or individual officers .

LEO Beta C-mags w/accessories for M-16 5.56 cal $250.00 delivered
Spare towers available.

Money orders, certified or cashier's check accepted
No personal checks accepted.
Shipped prices are for the Continental US only.
Inquire at [email protected]

This is Moncrie's for sale post on the EE

If they are $11 a peice right now under a limited market then why the hell do you guys think they will be more expensive once they can market to everybody.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Something tells me some of the vendors here want to justify keeping the prices up.  I suggest to EVERYONE here to shop around, there will be suppliers that will have prices that are competitive and consistent with the trend of the market.  This is almost as bad as the industry justification of rising gas prices due to certain events that have no bearing on supply.  Shop around guys, the prices will be to your liking and much lower than prices now due to restricting circumstances.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top