Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 7:19:07 AM EDT
How many rnds (firing rapid aimed shots) can you put through the 16" ltwt barrel of a R6520 before the performance will begin to degrade?   How many rounds before the barrel will fail?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know, alot.  Let us know how many it takes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Define 'Performance' what is your standard?

Barrel failure? With a semi-auto?  Unless you're really trying and can pull that trigger at 750rpm for 3-4 min I don't think you have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm just wondering why everyone makes a big deal about M4 and HBAR barrels claiming that they stand up to sustained fire better.  For a semi auto I dont' think you could do much damage to a lightweight barrel, even after dumping a few Beta Cmags through it quickly.  Is accuracy really effected that much?  If so, how much?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#4]
The hotter the barrel gets, the faster it wears out.

Hbar have a place, CMP matches come to mind and FAF. IPSC style rifle matches its nice to have a habr with a comp, but its not needed.

For non match wining preformance. the accuracy is not going to be an issue below 200 yards.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
mines opens up slightly after awhile but it isnt a problem with minute of man regardless of how many rounds
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#6]
if you have a 4150 chromelined barrel... regardless of profile... it will last 15000 plus rounds easily
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The .mil report from a few months back showed than an M4 barrel will burst after less than 500 rounds fired full auto as fast as possible.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
My favorite uppers are the old A1s.  I routinely run 4 30s FA back to back during a string.  Yeah, the barrel heats up, but at that point I switch uppers or let it rest.  I've been doing this for many thousands of rounds with no untoward effects or obvious accuracy degradation.

Sam
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top