BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2006 1:19:31 PM EDT
I do.  I have other ammo for target practice and plinking, however if a SHTF situation comes, I would rather have ammo in quantity.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a case...  to leave for the 'enemy' to find.  That way they will have kabooms when they shoot it at me.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Wolf is fine to shoot, but I would not be using it if the SHTF.  That's why I have a case of M885, M193 and some WWB.  
I use it in my SKS, though I prefer Silver Bear.  Not that there is much choice right now in 7.62...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a case of 7.62x39 Wolf stashed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Im saveing 240rds of Wolf for SHTF its even Hot as Q3131A And Very ACCURATE
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Wolf and PD ammo for plinking. M193(XM193) boxed, Black Hills 68 grain, Hornady 75 grain for my SHTF stash.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah got lot of BH 75/77
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
what is a SHIFT??? how do you guys store your ammo and prevent it from damage?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 700-rounds stored, but it's the back-up to the back-up...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]
NEVER!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes!  Have a case stashed, I do!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I would rather have ammo in quantity, than in quality.  Sure, we all know that Wolf ammo
is a little under powered, when compared to quality military ammo, but who cares. I have never
had a problem with this stuff, and it always goes bang when I pull the trigger. Come to think of it,
If Wolf ammo is soooo under powered, as many people on this board claim, then who can I get for a volunteer to take a round to the chest from about 100 yards? Any takers? I didn't think so.  This
ammo is inexpensive, and it works, what is there not to like. Stack em deep boys.......I know I have
been.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
5 spam cans of 7.62x39.

No .223, that is just for plinking.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

SHTF=SHIT HITS THE FAN
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Yeah, for a couple of years now I've had several cases of Wolf put back for SHTF.

As far as I am concerned, SHTF is happening right now with ammo prices and availability of the brands I like to shoot. XM193, few and far between with rising prices. WWB rose almost 30% and rumor has it that Wallyworld is deleting this item. Wolf itself has been rising in price. Where does it go from here?

Don't even get me started about 7.62X39 availability.

My actual Zombie,Bird Flu,Economic Collapse,Power Outage,Natural Disaster,Rioting and Looting SHTF ammo is:

Black Hills 75grn MHP
    Federal TBBC 55grn
    XM193
    Q3131A
    Q3131

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I have about 5K of 7.62x39 that I bought a couple of years ago for $66/K at Sportsmans Guide.  No 223 though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I am using my Wolf as plinking and saving M193 and 75gr Blackhills for SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#17]
In an extended SHTF situation you will still need to train. And there will be the possibility that you need to fire warning shots to discourage scroungers. Wolf is fine for that. Wolf would even be fine for a little Recon by Fire although even with Wolf you can’t really afford to make a habit of that. So, there’s nothing wrong with putting back some Wolf as a supplement to your other ammo. But you need plenty of military ammo too.

It’s not just a power and fragmentation issue either. Wolf is steel cased ammunition, and steel rusts. You can store it just fine in airtight containers and don’t have to worry about it rusting.

But in SHTF, what happens when you get to stand guard duty in the rain for 18 hours? What’s going to happen if you have to spend several days in hot, humid, and rainy weather? The ammunition will likely rust up in the magazines. The CLP covered, Parkerized, rifle can take the weather and humidity but you can’t really coat the ammo with CLP for fear the oil will contaminate the powder and primer.

So stock up on Wolf if you want. But, as an absolute minimum, make sure you have at least 500+ rounds of good military grade ammo per rifle saved up first.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll not speak for everyone, but Wolf has always functioned fine in my AR, and it's as accurate as I am.  Maybe once I get an optical sight I'll invest in the Black Hills stuff, or other.

I have a 500 rounds of Wolf in the closet, right beside 500 rounds of GA Arms.  I hope to add to the stockpile just as soon as I get re-employed.

Storing steel-cased ammo requires dessicant and air-tight canisters.  There is no substitute!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Just help someone move 30 cases of wolf today.  He's saving them all for the BIG SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't shoot wolf in my AR's But I do have more than several cases of 7.62 Wolf stashed. I bought most of it a few months back when the prices were lower ($95+/- 1000. I have, let's say enough of M193 and 855 LC for shtf. What's up with these increased prices anyhow? Supply and demand most likely......
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In an extended SHTF situation you will still need to train. And there will be the possibility that you need to fire warning shots to discourage scroungers. Wolf is fine for that. Wolf would even be fine for a little Recon by Fire although even with Wolf you can’t really afford to make a habit of that. So, there’s nothing wrong with putting back some Wolf as a supplement to your other ammo. But you need plenty of military ammo too.

It’s not just a power and fragmentation issue either. Wolf is steel cased ammunition, and steel rusts. You can store it just fine in airtight containers and don’t have to worry about it rusting.

But in SHTF, what happens when you get to stand guard duty in the rain for 18 hours? What’s going to happen if you have to spend several days in hot, humid, and rainy weather? The ammunition will likely rust up in the magazines. The CLP covered, Parkerized, rifle can take the weather and humidity but you can’t really coat the ammo with CLP for fear the oil will contaminate the powder and primer.

So stock up on Wolf if you want. But, as an absolute minimum, make sure you have at least 500+ rounds of good military grade ammo per rifle saved up first.

A big +1
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SHTF=SHIT HITS THE FAN

A SHIFT is a type of women's dress. We save ammo up to blow holes in these dresses for our wives and girlfriends to wear to machine gun shoots. It's a gun culture style thing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It means Shit Hits The Fan.

It’s just a code word for any situation where our rifles have to be used as weapons.

Where I am SHTF might mean several tornadoes have devastated our city. And with the police tied up and road blocked, looters are starting to come out in force. It might mean that China (or North Korea or possibly France) decided to send a few nukes our way and society has broken down as a result. Hurricane Katrina was a definite SHTF situation for some people. SHTF might be a UN/Black Helicopter takeover or a military coup. SHTF might also be a zombie uprising where the dead start walking (shoot for the head.) SHTF can also be as simple as a home invasion robbery one night. This is a real possibility in rural areas where cell phone service is spotty at best and telephone lines can be easily cut.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I think I would rather have ammo in quantity, than in quality.  Sure, we all know that Wolf ammo
is a little under powered, when compared to quality military ammo, but who cares. I have never
had a problem with this stuff, and it always goes bang when I pull the trigger. Come to think of it,
If Wolf ammo is soooo under powered, as many people on this board claim, then who can I get for a volunteer to take a round to the chest from about 100 yards? Any takers? I didn't think so.  This
ammo is inexpensive, and it works, what is there not to like. Stack em deep boys.......I know I have
been.

Life is hard.

It is harder when you are stupid.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
been.hug.gif

Life is hard.

+1
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#26]
If after a long time of trouble, and I am shooting my Wolf for Defensive purposes.

THE S. Has Hit The Fan!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I have about 1,800 rounds of Wolf 7.62 x 39, but I don't have it stashed for a SHTF situation. I bought it cheap and I rarely shoot my AK so it tends to pile up.

The first ammo can I'd grab in a SHTF event is my small stash of Q3131A that I bought at Bass Pro during the fall ammo sale back in 2003. That was the only time I ever got to get a case of Q3131A at Bass Pro during the big ammo sale.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:49:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Wolf is the ONLY ammo that kills zombies.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
been.

Life is hard.

Life will also be harder without any ammo.  If I can put away almost twice as much Wolf for the same money as other brands, thats what I'll do. I'd rather have WOlf ammo than none, and yes I've got plenty of it put away along with other stuff. It works in my guns and thats all that counts.

Didn't see your name on the volunteer list to take one at 100yds so it must be pretty effective.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Didn't see your name on the volunteer list to take one at 100yds so it must be pretty effective.

I woudn't stand in front of a pellet gun.

And anyone with a BRAIN can tell that whether or not someone voluteers to take a bullet in the gut, has NOTHING to with that rounds terminal ballistics, and if it is a good choice for self defense.

For a little more per round, there are MUCH better choices.  Keep your Wolf for practice.  Use your brain for defense.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:42:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Name Calling PLZ Spare the Forum!

There are better Picks I agree! I use now 75gr. BTHP Black Hills BLUE BOX its cheap

I also agree that if I only had wolf  55 gr. H.P. in my AR15 I wouldnt feel that worried.

and to rely  more on shot placement!

However If I planned ahead and went out to buy SHTF AMMO it wouldnt be OLD Wolf H.P. or FMJ

I would rather have 250rds of the BH 75gr.   thats  5 boxes , 50rds each box !
20 bucks a box!

Little over 100 dollars plus shiping
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#32]
FALARAK  +1

Brain is the Best weapon!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Oh. My. God.

Can I buy some crack from you?  

Do you seriously consider that an effective point of debate?  Dry that one out and you can fertilize the lawn, dude.  

I don't have to jump off a bridge before I'll believe that gravity can kill.  However, since you're so keen on volunteering for stupid things...

Edit for grammer
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Edit for grammer

Oh, the irony.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If after a long time of trouble, and I am shooting my Wolf for Defensive purposes.

THE S. Has Hit The Fan!hr

Same with me here in Hurricane land. I've shot several hundred rounds of the 55 and 62 gr FMJ in .223. I have not yet had one feed problem from the Bushmasters or my SKS 7.62x39mm paratrooper. Of course I most likely would fire all my good ammo up before getting into my Wolf stashes. I like it, works good. In my area I also keep all my handgun and other rifle ammo in good supply also. When the power is off due to the Hurricanes so many idiots think they can take what they want. Not in my AO.
I think Wolf ammo could inflict some serious damage at a few hundred yards with no problem.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Umm Federal T223M is all I keep for zombies.....
XM193 to help out friends.

TRU dat!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#37]
You guys are cruel
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I have lots of Wolf
I have lots of Barnaul
and I have a litle bit of a lot of other ammo.
I even have some Norinco .223,    But...

My SHTF ammo is 2 cases Q3131A I scored last year.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#39]
In any extended situation with no chance of resupply, any ammunition would be better than no ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Wolf is the ONLY ammo that kills zombies.hr

Heh, hopefully...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a case of Miller Lite stashed in case SHTF, but that's only because Wolf does not make beer yet.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Wolf is a terrible choice for SHTF ammo.

Quoted:
Come to think of it, If Wolf ammo is soooo under powered, as many people on this board claim, then who can I get for a volunteer to take a round to the chest from about 100 yards? Any takers? I didn't think so.

This is just lame reasoning. I wouldn't stand in front of you and willingly take a shot to the chest with your super soaker, why would I willingly take a shot to the chest with something that might actually harm me permanently??
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Edit for grammer

Oh, the irony.  

Ouch...  

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes."

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#44]
ARE YOU USEING  WOLF  Hollow Points or FMJ

If you must use Wolf buy H.P.

If I had to use Wolf I would pick There Wolf/P.P. M193 Very accurate stuff compared to xm193,Q3131,Q3131A,IMG,SA thats my AR15`s

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I am using my Wolf as plinking and saving M193 and 75gr Blackhills for SHTF.

That is what I do too.

If I want long term ammo, I have the sealed M855 that can be reloaded. If things really do go to hell,
5.56mm brass will be worth more than 5.56mm steel. And I trust the seals on the USGI ammo more.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#46]
I've never seen the logic in blasting "good" ammo and then stashing cheap ammo. If/when the SHTF I want the best ammo money can buy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
been.

Life is hard.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#48]
How many of you have a case of WOLF hidden away for SHTF situation?

I think I would use my SlingShot then use the Wolf ammo-
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a case stashed for my Yugo SKS. Several cases of XM193, Q3131A for the AR.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
been.

Life is hard.

Life will also be harder without any ammo.  If I can put away almost twice as much Wolf for the same money as other brands, thats what I'll do. I'd rather have WOlf ammo than none, and yes I've got plenty of it put away along with other stuff. It works in my guns and thats all that counts.

LOL LOL  My thoughts exactly.    

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top