Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 11:22:27 AM EDT
Hey guys I'm going to switch out an upper and add a railed handguard to one of my ARs tonight, in about 45mins actually. My question is, if we get done and I have daylight, would it be ok to shoot it today to sight in the irons? I don't really need to shoot it today as I haven't gotten my optics mount or the tacpoint yet. And I don't want to hear no shit about the tacpoint either, I plan on using and abusing it to see what it can and can't take. It will be on the rifle for a defensive edge class on the 16th and 17th too as part of the abusing of the optic. So ya'll can say what ya want about it after I post the review of it after the class. But if it survives, it will go on a dedicated .22lr upper for tree rat hunting cuz if I end up liking the red dot, I plan to get an aimpoint for the M4.

On another point too, should I sight in the irons with the red dot mounted, or sight it, than mount the red dot and check it for a POI shift? Will there be a POI shift? Should there be? I don't normaly shoot with a red dot, so I'm not sure.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
shoot now
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#2]
unless I am missing something...why couldn't you shoot it?

What I did for my red dot sight... zero the rifle using my aimpoint first.  Set the irons to the red dot (since when using the small hole, the dot is smaller than the front sight post, making it easy to center the dot on the post).  After I did that, I confirmed my zero with irons by shooting groups with irons only, and its now dead nuts on.

If you are used to irons, and a very good shot with them, sight in the irons, then set the dot to them, then confirm using the dot only, and adjust if needed.

I usually set my elevation at the 50 yard line, then "fine tune" my windage at 100 yards.  If you have a 4moa dot, use an 8inch target at 100 yards.  Center the dot in the black target, and squeeze the trigger, and do what you gotta do from there.  

Using that method....that steel helmet at 7mile was an easy target offhand and kneeling- went 30 for 30 on that fucker in under a minute :-)

Oh...and btw, dont worry about the tacpoint...I have two of em ;-)
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Why would you have to wait?

You can sight in your irons w/o the tacpoint, but you are going to have to do it again after you install the  tacpoint like you mentioned but any change should be minor at that point.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Where are you mounting the red dot sight?

If you mount it in a manner that doesnt require you to mess with your rear sight or front sight...there should be no change in POI
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where are you mounting the red dot sight?

If you mount it in a manner that doesnt require you to mess with your rear sight or front sight...there should be no change in POI

I'm thinking right now just in front of the BUIS, keeping it on the upper and off the handguards.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You are fine!

Go shoot the fucker, zero it, and set the dot to the irons.

re-confirm the dot next time you go to the range and you're done.  No worries about POI shifting.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You should wait 30 minutes after you've eaten - to avoid cramps.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#8]
You aren't gluing it on are you?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You aren't gluing it on are you?

You mean you didn't?

Digital
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You are fine!

Go shoot the fucker, zero it, and set the dot to the irons.

re-confirm the dot next time you go to the range and you're done.  No worries about POI shifting.

Scott

Didin't have enough time to go shoot it, but damn does it look nice. I hope the thing stays tight. I'm not worried about the barrel nut but the float tube lock nut, cuz that did losen up on us once, But we got it down again and I think it's a shit load tighter, so it should be GTG. Range trip today should verify that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I recommend waiting at least 10 day's to be sure the lower is not going to reject the new upper.

In the meantime send it to me for proper storage.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I would wait. The anodizing could still be wet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would wait. The anodizing could still be wet.

?????
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Wait at least as long as it takes you to load  mag
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wait at least as long as it takes you to load  mag

They stay loaded, so it would be a short wait.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Photoman.......you CANNOT shoot a new AR-15 for 17-25 days because of the different anodizing specs, depending on the manufacturer.  The heat will cause the black anodizing (paint) to either peel off in a month OR the anodizing (paint) will come off and be deposited inside the weapon, all over the bolt carrier, and barrel lugs.  BE CAREFUL....
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Wait at least one hour so you don't get cramps.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Photoman.......you CANNOT shoot a new AR-15 for 17-25 days because of the different anodizing specs, depending on the manufacturer.  The heat will cause the black anodizing (paint) to either peel off in a month OR the anodizing (paint) will come off and be deposited inside the weapon, all over the bolt carrier, and barrel lugs.  BE CAREFUL....

I saw one guy, his richtefrasm condensed, leaked out all over the floor.  You don't want to get that stuff on your shoes!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You should wait 30 minutes after you've eaten - to avoid cramps.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top