Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 3:13:12 PM EDT
I'm almost certain this has been covered before, but not in the last month. This is only a hypothetical question for me, because I always clean my guns as soon as I get in from shooting.

Assuming you are using non-corrosive ammo, does it harm the gun in any way to say throw it in the safe and clean it a month or so later? I'm assuming that as long as you clean it well eventually, this practice wouldn't really harm the weapon. Am I right?

Not going to try this out, just something that crossed my mind today.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question.Ive never been able to make it to the next day without cleaning.Drives me nuts...gota clean after I shoot.
Ive seen folks go months without cleaning,my brother is the worlds worst,and not have many issues.That said he has some function issues from time to time and a few rusty finger prints.
Personally I'd rather spend a few minutes of my time and a few cents on cleaning supplies.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The most important thing to me is keeping them clean!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree. Just kind of wondering what if?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is my routine. I don't know if it is right or wrong but I don't have any problems with it. If I fire a rifle I will normally wait until I have 500 rds through it or one month has passed before cleaning. I have chrome lined bores, use non-corrosive ammo, and have dessicant in my safe.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have a chrome lined bore, it shouldn't be an issue. If you don't, the bore might rust. Or if conditions are very humid.

Gunpowder residue attracts and holds water. I have let a rifle with 1,000 rounds of shit in the action sit for a month. The next time it was fired, a case got stuck in it and the rim was ripped off of the case. Too dry to function. However it was not rusted.

I have seen CM barrels in several rifles rust to the point that the weapon would no longer fire--pitted chambers are bad!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top