Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2003 12:23:49 PM EDT
I need a case of 9mm, Eric has this on sale. Is it better than their 5.56mm offerings? Or should I look for something else?

Its for practice and taking a CCW course in a Gen III G17 Glock.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
it's hot, damn hot, like a little crotch pot cooking.

Mojo used alot of this in his subgun toys, and liked it.

Expensive toys they are, and if he used it, I'd would say it's ok for a GOOD MODERN Firearm.

But I like my ammo HOT!!!

TXL
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't trust anything with the name Olympic in it!

I'd recommend this stuff!  I bought some, and even though it's a police supply, you don't need to  be LEO to order it!

[url=http://store.yahoo.com/omb-ps/q4nat9mmam.html]Q4318![/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've fired over a case of it and bought two more.  It works fine in my G17 and HK USP 9.  One round was set back into the case, but it look like the box had been crushed in shipping.

I don't think it's hot, I think American 9mm is under-loaded and that's part of the reason it gets so little respect here.

G23c
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have about 600 rounds left out of 1000 rounds.  I have only 1 round fail to go bang, but it was due to a light primer strike.  I plan to order another case as soon as my vacation is over.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought four cases of the Olympic 124-gr 9MM from the sportsman's guide for only $95/1000 and nobody has a better price than that.

Getting into the quality of the ammo, although their 5.56mm stuff really sucks (I had to return 2,000-rds to S/G after numerous failures to extract/eject), the 9MM ammo has been fairly reliable to date in my Glock 17L, Kel-Tec Sub2K and Olympic CAR-97/9MM. Although the website data at S/G chronos the Olympic ammo at 1250-fps and 413-ft/lbs, I would say that this is total BS. From shooting over 1,500-rds of this stuff with NO failures to fire, feed, extract and/or eject, the Olympic 124-gr ammo seems fairly tame. I'd guess that it's probably more down to earth like 1150-fps and 340-ft/lbs, but a chrono would tell you for sure.

If you want some really hot 9MM ammo, J&G is selling  the Hirtenberger 124-gr +P+ sub-gun ammo at only $110/1000. This stuff is definitely a fistfull and at 1450-fps and 420-ft/lbs of energy, is the hottest 9MM ammo I've ever shot. All of my guns love it, it definitely has a much straighter ballistic curve when sighting it in, but it will definitely put a bruise in your shoulder when firing it through a blowback carbine type weapon. Hope this helps out.

tight groups,
phoenix27
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Well J&G is at least just a nice afternoons drive away, so no shipping required. But isn't that Hirtenburger a little TOO hot for a handgun? I don't want to batter this poor Glock to death.

Aaak! Just went to J&G's website, the Hirtenburger is now on backorder status. [url]http://catalog.jgsales.com/[/url] But that 95gr Radway Green looks interesting. for $99.90 per thousand.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny you should ask...today was Greek ammo shooting day at the range.

9mm (SportsmansGuide stuff):
My S&W model 39 loved it. Every round went bang, and went exactly where I aimed it. In fact, this ammo has produced one of the tightest patterns I've had on the 25yd range.
For comparison I also shot some PMC Starfire HP...well, let's just say I shot it. It was a struggle just to keep the PMC on the paper.

5.56 Nato Greentip (that dreaded stuff that sends chills down the backs of ARFCOM'ers):
Yes, it even has the '01 headstamp. The Mini-14 ate it up and asked for seconds. Biggest problem I had was a feeding problem with the mags (hey..its a Mini). At 50yds, it held a 2-3MOA.  At 100yds, it held a 4-5MOA....(like I said...its a Mini).

One thing I did notice, the Greek stuff had more recoil than the Q3131A.

And one more thing, I did inspect the spent cases for damage. No blown or bulging primers, no split cases....and no FTE's or FTF's.

Maybe I just got a good batch of 5.56 Nato, or maybe the Mini-14 uses better steel than the AR, or maybe some of these gripe threads are from disgruntled Hesse owners...who knows.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I put 1000 rounds of it through my Beretta 92FS and thought it was pretty good ammo. Didnt have any problems and it seemed pretty accurite to boot. Cant beat the price at Sportsmans Guide with the membership and a $10 coupon.

BKVic
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had such incredibly bad view of this stuff from my experiences with the .223 ammo I wont buy anything from olympic. ever.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
My CZ 75B loves it.

I just ordered a case from Sportsman's Guide the last week of April, and after applying the SPG289 coupon, the total was $100 even with shipping to California. Can't beat that price.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:14:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I love it.  My CZ75B was having FTE problems with the Winchester Value Pack ammo from Wal Mart so I tried some of the Olympic 124 gr, and after about 4000 rounds, I haven't had a single problem.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Haven't ordered yet but I am leaning toward the Wolf from J&G.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top