Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 6:17:41 PM EDT
How well do non chrome-lined bored barrels hold up in the real world? I know CL is preferred but there's a bunch of non CL barrels for cheap on GB and it's tempting me. Should I hold out for CL?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about unless your firing a full auto plus I have always been told Chrome Molly is more accurate.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Non-CL, potential for better accuracy.  CL, potential for longer life and better durability, and it's got electrolytes, it's what barrels crave.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Link

That's a good deal but I want a 1:9.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone comment on the lifespan of a non-CL bore?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

Why?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#7]
What profile is that YHM barrel at Rainier?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#8]
750 at the gas block shelf and about 730 under the handguards and in front of the gas block.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm more of a car guy than a gun guy so bear with me.  Is that profile light than a gov't? It doesn't look like an M4 profile so I'm guessing it's not one of the standard profiles. I'm looking for a light carbinw length barrel so I was curious to know how that one on the Rainier site mighb compare to the other STD barrels in weight.   I have a HB from CMMG which I may want to replace.  

Anyhow it looks like CL is really not necessary for the casual shooter running in SA.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm more of a car guy than a gun guy so bear with me.  Is that profile light than a gov't? It doesn't look like an M4 profile so I'm guessing it's not one of the standard profiles. I'm looking for a light carbinw length barrel so I was curious to know how that one on the Rainier site mighb compare to the other STD barrels in weight.   I have a HB from CMMG which I may want to replace.  

Anyhow it looks like CL is really not necessary for the casual shooter running in SA.

It is heavier than the government profile, but much lighter than the HBAR.

I prefer chrome lined barrels, much easier to clean (when I do get around to cleaning them).

For example my 5.45 rifle has a chrome lined barrel, it has seen 4000 rounds of corrosive surplus ammunition without cleaning, when I cleaned it the other day there was not a trace of corrosion in the barrel. No 5.56 corrosive ammo is out there, but it's nice to know that if I am in a more humid climate and am a little lax on cleaning, the bore will remain perfect.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks GN(Grand Nat?)87.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks GN(Grand Nat?)87.

Yes (don't have it any more though )...you're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

You have to check these guys out best barrels I have used without the cost
Link

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link

You have to check these guys out best barrels I have used without the cost
Link

+1 I have about three barrels from DEZ... all are non-CL and shoot great.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#15]
i would say if you are going to dump lots of dirty ammo or if you shoot allot, get the cl. i think the none cl are good for ............ you know i am not going to put a round count on it because if i do, i will just be asking for a flaming by a couch ninja that has never worn a barrel out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Durability CL>SS>NCL.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

i would say if you are going to dump lots of dirty ammo or if you shoot allot, get the cl. i think the none cl are good for ............ you know i am not going to put a round count on it because if i do, i will just be asking for a flaming by a couch ninja that has never worn a barrel out.

Who the hell can afford to shoot a barrel out these days?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who the hell can afford to shoot a barrel out these days?

That's true. That's why I wanted a 1:9 so I could shoot .22LR a little better than with 1:7. Which brings up another question: if I was to shoot the hell out of .22LR through a non-CL barrel would it affect the life of the barrel the same as .223?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is heavier than the government profile, but much lighter than the HBAR.

I prefer chrome lined barrels, much easier to clean (when I do get around to cleaning them).

For example my 5.45 rifle has a chrome lined barrel, it has seen 4000 rounds of corrosive surplus ammunition without cleaning, when I cleaned it the other day there was not a trace of corrosion in the barrel. No 5.56 corrosive ammo is out there, but it's nice to know that if I am in a more humid climate and am a little lax on cleaning, the bore will remain perfect.

Did you end up with corrosion on your bolt and gas system? I saw a guy do that and his entire BCG was rusted in 3 days.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The chrome lined barrel just has so much ease of cleaning going for it that it is almost crazy to even consider any thing else on a AR. A pure match gun is something else .

I always want the features on any gun to be whatever is best for accuracy but the average AR is capeable of beter accuracy that most any use most guys have the ability to use so I feel the ease of cleaning is the beter deal.

When buying new I have had the feeling that Chrome lined barrels of equal quality are only $40-$50 more . May of may not be the case, can't say I have really kept up with the going rate in these crazy days
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Did you end up with corrosion on your bolt and gas system? I saw a guy do that and his entire BCG was rusted in 3 days.

Tiny bit of pitting on the tail of the bolt. No corrosion anywhere else.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Go with c/m or s/s, and forget about chrome lined bore.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Go with c/m or s/s, and forget about chrome lined bore.

Isn't c/m Chromoly and isn't that the typical barrel material we're talking about here?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#24]
yes you are correct on c/m. s/s is stainless. Usually 410 or 416.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#25]
How well made and how consistent the bore, surface, lands & grooves are in a barrel will effect accuracy.  The Chrome lining can NOT be laid down perfectly consistent, but still very consistent.

There are plenty of CL barrels that are better made and more consistent than cheap non-CL barrels, and thus are more accurate.  Keep in mind, its an all things being equal, the CL may take away a "tiny" bit of accuracy.  Very few things will be equal between a lot of choices in barrels, unless you are choosing the exact same Make/Model/Manufacturer with an option for CL or Non-CL.  The difference in accuracy is usually less than most shooters can ever detect as well.  Bench shooters are the one that avoid CL for the tiny loss in accuracy.

The military, which use their rifles in far more severe environments than most recreational shooters, have found CL being well worth it.

For a recreational shooter, CL is NOT necessary, but the barrel will last longer (slower wear) and be easier to clean.  Nothing wrong with going one way or the other for a typical recrational shooter.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How well made and how consistent the bore, surface, lands & grooves are in a barrel will effect accuracy.  The Chrome lining can NOT be laid down perfectly consistent, but still very consistent.

There are plenty of CL barrels that are better made and more consistent than cheap non-CL barrels, and thus are more accurate.  Keep in mind, its an all things being equal, the CL may take away a "tiny" bit of accuracy.  Very few things will be equal between a lot of choices in barrels, unless you are choosing the exact same Make/Model/Manufacturer with an option for CL or Non-CL.  The difference in accuracy is usually less than most shooters can ever detect as well.  Bench shooters are the one that avoid CL for the tiny loss in accuracy.

The military, which use their rifles in far more severe environments than most recreational shooters, have found CL being well worth it.

For a recreational shooter, CL is NOT necessary, but the barrel will last longer (slower wear) and be easier to clean.  Nothing wrong with going one way or the other for a typical recrational shooter.

+1
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah but you can't drink Arfcom  kool-aid unless you have a CL barrel.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And last i checked they had a lot more at stake if they can't be accurate enough to get on target
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top