Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2002 10:01:38 PM EDT
Okay, that stock is stubby for a reason.  Would one of my esteemed colleagues please educate me?

TIA, marm0t
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The stubby stock is there for a couple of reasons.  First, to shorten the overall length and make it more maneuverable in close quarters.  Secondly, and most important, is to shorten the length of pull.  In a combat stance, a short length of pull is important for speed and control.  The shorter the length of pull, the faster it will be for you to go from a low ready position to a cheek weld and sight picture.  The shorter the length, the closer it is to the body and the more stable the rifle can be made by pulling the rifle back into the shoulder.  Just remember to keep your elbows pointed down.  The stubby stock is good for a person who does a good deal of CQB type work.  For general purpose shooting, it has extremely limited uses.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The stubby stock is there for a couple of reasons.  First, to shorten the overall length and make it more maneuverable in close quarters.  Secondly, and most important, is to shorten the length of pull.  In a combat stance, a short length of pull is important for speed and control.  The shorter the length of pull, the faster it will be for you to go from a low ready position to a cheek weld and sight picture.  The shorter the length, the closer it is to the body and the more stable the rifle can be made by pulling the rifle back into the shoulder.  Just remember to keep your elbows pointed down.  The stubby stock is good for a person who does a good deal of CQB type work.  For general purpose shooting, it has extremely limited uses.  

and the additional reason that wearing heavy body armor makes stocks of standard length toolong.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#3]
the stock should be place more to the center of your chest then a regular buttstock.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Sparten hit it out of the park!  

The LE Entry stock is for using the 'sub gun' position with the stock on your chest rather than in your shoulder pocket.  However if you're wearing body armor the short stock will be better than using the longer stock.

However many civilians use the stubby stock as a basis for a shorter than A1 stock.  Using this stock and a 1" spacer you'll get a stock that is just over an inch shorter than an A1 stock (which is 5/8" shorter than an A2 stock).  This appeals to people who wear heavy coats and/or gear and is still usable.  Another options is to use the Fulton Armory adjustable buttplate to get a better fit.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Using this stock and a 1" spacer you'll get a stock that is just over an inch shorter than an A1 stock (which is 5/8" shorter than an A2 stock).  

Funny you bring that up: I tried this and could not get the lower screw out of the stock. It has a pivot point for the sling and its like it is tack welded or something. BTW its the J&T tactical, but I think they are the same stocks(?).
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Rusty,
You don't need to remove the lower screw except to remove the sling swivel.  To remove the stock to add the spacer all you need to do is remove the upper screw.

Most of the time they use some Blue LocTite on the screws (I know I do).  Maybe J&T used the more permanent Red LocTite (either that or they really torqued the sling screw down).
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Forest, but I'm trying to put the BM (Choate?) 1 3/4" M16 spacer on which is actually a new buttplate. It has recessed holes so you use the existing screws/holes and the old buttplate has to go for it to work... That mother is really on there.

First I bought the 'wrong' stock and then made it worse by buying the spacer. That's the definition of 'good money after bad' I think
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top