Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 6:06:44 AM EDT
Before the alarmists jump in, yes this is a pre-ban.

Anyway, I bought a new (to me) pre-ban yesterday.  The owner switched out the FS to some stupid looking dingus and couldn't find the old FS (thanks, dude).  By the price, it was obvious that he was clueless on pre-ban vice post ban anyway (NO I'm not telling!) :D

So anyway first of all I have to get this thing off.  

#1 Facing the muzzle, which way to the threads go?

#2, to put the FS on, do I need some sort of peel washer?  I've heard about this, never seen it.

#3 Do I still need the peel washer if I use the FS without the filled in bottom?

#3 could someone explain how I do this properly...ie setting the peel washer correctly and how much to tighten the FS?

Now, do you folks have a recommendation of where I can find a FS, peel washer set, and whatever else I need?

Thanks a lot!

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It has right hand threads just like all other US made items. You will need a peel washer even with the A1 flash hider as it will bottom out on the muzzle but still leave room at the back of the flash hider. The AMU found out that excessive torque plays hell with accuracy. Just make it hand tight, I add a bit of blue loctite just in case. I have never had one back off. After installing it, put a white line of nail polish down the sides (index line) of it onto the barrel itself so that if it does start to loosen you can easily look at it and tell right away. Any place that sells AR parts sell the A1 or A2 flash hider and peel washer. Both together should be $10 or less.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
for an A1, Phantom or Vortex you can use a split lockwasher. some vendors also have crush washers instead of the peel washer.. much simpler.

facing the muzle counter clockwise to remove, clockwise to install.

hand tight... blue or even red loctite won't make any difference after a few rounds... but WILL make it a PITA to remove when cold... i use anti seize on the threads of my flash hiders, install hand tight and count on the split lockwasher to keep things from shifting... no problems.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Use barrel vise jaws to hold the barrel steady, NOT an action block, when removing or installing a muzzle brake or flash hider.

A little dab of grease, is good.  I use the "crush washers" now.  No guessing and peeling.  These are used by most manufactuers now.

That is it, no locktite, just tighten it up.  The crush washer will allow you to index the flash hider correctly.

For a nice flash suppression and a little compensation, the A2 flash hider/comp is just fine.  If you want to primarily kill the flash, the old 3-prong is the ticket.  Yep, the old cheap 3-prong $6 model.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Vote the Democrats out of office?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top