Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 3:52:14 PM EDT
Are there any stampings, configurations, styles, or other markings that would indicate an upper is pre-ban or not?

Yes, I know it's the lower that ususally counts....

TIA

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Are there any stampings, configurations, styles, or other markings that would indicate an upper is pre-ban or not?

Yes, I know it's the lower that ususally counts....

TIA

Since *upper* receivers are NOT serial numbered in any way and never have been, all you can say about an upper is that it is, or is not, in pre ban *configuration*. A pre ban configured upper has the bayonet lug and threaded muzzle for a flash hider. Other than that, that is all you can say with authority.

It IS the lower that counts. You could not even say an A1 upper was truly built before the ban as all the parts are still readily available and there are NO serial numbers on any of the parts. You could simply build at anytime an upper but saying it was built before the ban is impossible to tell.

You cannot prove it one way or the other.

Why the question????
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]
My thanks to you both, no wonder I was confused by the question.

I sold an upper, and the person wanted to know if it was pre-ban...but I'm not the original owner.  I have no documentation. Therefore I can only say, "it has a threaded barrel, FH, and bayo lug".

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I sold an upper, and the person wanted to know if it was pre-ban...but I'm not the original owner.  I have no documentation. Therefore I can only say, "it has a threaded barrel, FH, and bayo lug".

Then it's in preban configuration---but unless you sold it to someone who lives in a state like New York, where such things still count, it's a meaningless designation in this day and age.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then it's in preban configuration---but unless you sold it to someone who lives in a state like New York, where such things still count, it's a meaningless designation in this day and age.

/whistles tunelessly...

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You could talk to Lauer.  When I stopped in there back in January the guy behind the counter was talking about them (possibly) serializing their uppers with their lowers in case a ban came back.  Can't say it appealed much to me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and in NY the upper could have been built yesterday if it is on a pre 9/13/94 lower
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You could talk to Lauer.  When I stopped in there back in January the guy behind the counter was talking about them (possibly) serializing their uppers with their lowers in case a ban came back.  Can't say it appealed much to me.

Why?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top