Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2003 12:35:50 AM EDT
Above question.  I've got a Colt preban and a brand new Bushie.  The Bushie is my primary concern right now.  It functions flawlessly, however the trigger seems to be a bit "gritty".  I understand that this is a brand new rifle and will need some breaking in.

I rather like the trigger pull weights on both rifles.  I'm trying to figure a way to clean them up so I'll get as little creep as possible and have a crisp break.

Any suggestions?? Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:40:31 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=150423[/url]

"15 Minute Trigger Job", linked above should help ya out.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is a great way to remove the grittiness and doesn't require cutting springs or reducing reliability.

[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/smoothenthetriggerpull.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the "Tactical spring kit" from [url=jprifles.com/TriggerParts.shtml]JP Enterprises[/url]. Only $10. for the set.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]
LOTS of info!

Thank you very much.  I'll definately try out these proceedures.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I endorse the polishing of the trigger and hammer pins and the JP spring kit, but strongly caution against stoning the sear faces as that's very easy to screw up and even if done right doesn't last long as these parts are merely surface hardened.

Note the pins can be polished without complete disassembly 'cuz the pins are identical.

1.  Remove the hammer pin (only) and hammer, polish the pin it as noted in the article, and use it as a drift to punch out the triger pin.  The trigger, disconnector, selector, etc. all remain in the rifle.  The pins just swap.  Nothing gets lost.

2.  Polish this pin and replace the hammer when done.  Put in the JP hammer spring at this time if you're lightening the spring pressure.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use the "Tactical spring kit" from [url=jprifles.com/TriggerParts.shtml]JP Enterprises[/url]. Only $10. for the set.
View Quote

notack, how much of a difference did you find in the weight of the trigger pull by just replacing the stock springs with JP's?

TIA
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I also went with the JP springs.

I'd say they dropped off 2-3#s on the trigger pull.  I think it was around 8#+ originally and now it's probably down to 4.5-5#?  I haven't ever scaled it.  But it is definately more of an improvement than the $10 investment.In other words it's a good return.

I also have a couple Bushmaster 2-stage FCs.  They are obviously super nice, but also cost a lot more.

There is some more in-depth discussion in the "Build it Yourself" forum concerning minimal trigger up-grades.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I send mine out to Williams Trigger Specialties. They do good work.
Top Top