Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 6:18:40 PM EDT
New to AR's so please be gentle!!! I'm looking to get my first AR. I want(need) it to be a 20" bull barrel varmint flat top. I need to do this as cheaply as possible. So far my thoughts are either a MEGA or RRA lower, with a Model 1 Sales kit for the 20" bull barrel upper.It looks like I could do this for around $600. I will be scoping this with probably a 2-10x or 3-12, something in that range of magnification. The primary use will be coyotes at 200-300 yards. Being new to AR's, what kind of accuracy could I expect from such a combo ??? Should I get 1/2-3/4 MOA ??? Will I have to get it headspaced or can I just slap the upper and lower together?? I heard that Model 1 Sales uses Shaw barrels, is this true ???  Should I wait until I can afford something better, like a RRA Varmint upper ??? Sorry for all the questions.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
First, go with the RRA lower.
That said, I don't know what kind of barrels the kits from Model 1 Sales have, but if the barrel is of decent quality, it should be capable of 3/4 MOA with the right ammo. Maybe even better.
The lower has virtually no effect on accuracy.
You should check the headspacing, but it will likely be good to go. It's easy to do once you have the guages.
I would add a decent trigger to the list - RRA makes a good one for around $100. And it will help a lot if you use a high quality scope (having no idea what scope you plan to use).

I don't think you will have to replace with anything better - the `Yotes won't stand a chance!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You might have to free float the barrel to get the 3/4" groups you were talking about.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You might have to free float the barrel to get the 3/4" groups you were talking about.
View Quote

I was assuming it to be free-floated since it was a bull barrel. Good point though!
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#4]
to sum it all up, its only as accurate as the shooter [;)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have never heard of a Franken AR. Are they made in Germany?[thinking]
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Go RRA with a J&T kit,

Bit pricier, but well worth it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
blkgun223aholic
 9/7/2003 3:10:04 PM

I have never heard of a Franken AR. Are they made in Germany?  
View Quote

I give you one Franken-AR:

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pab7b13a6ef29327c270b0dd1d6a53847/fc47901d.jpg[/img]

Bushmaster superlight barrel
DPMS lo-pro upper
Oly lower
Ace stock
Surefire light
No-Name rear flipup
Trijicon front site post
Levang linear muzzle brake
Trigger job.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Who did the camo job? That is one good looking Franken-AR. I have a bit of a monster myself;
Colt lower
A1E3 upper of unknown origin with a DPMS preban SS bbl w/ A2 flash hider.

It sucks to be poor, but hey we have AR's [:)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah it works really good, as reliable as any AR out there. the camo was done at SAS Armory.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
take it for what it's worth....but I would buy a complete factory assembled AR from RRA, BUSHMASTER, or ARMALITE...COLT if you want to spend a couple hundred bucks extra just for the name.

this way you will get a warranty with the rifle...in the case of ARMALITE lifetime to the original owner....if you go the "piece together" option, you will have to get it fixed out of your own pocket, if something does go wrong with it.

whatever you decide....DO NOT, and I can't stress this enough, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HESSE or VULCAN ARMS as they call themselves now....OR AMERICAN SPIRT ARMS (ASA). of all the AR manufactures,  they are the 2 of the worst pieces of shit "firearms"  that was ever produced  on the American gun market....I would rank them even lower the HI-POINT, or LORCIN
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#11]
All AR's are "parts" guns. Either you build it, or some numbnuts at one of the factories does it. "Warranties" are worthless, all the major companies will cover their parts (barrels, receivers,ect.)and the littler parts are available from lots of vendors.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top