Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/2/2007 5:51:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 3:37:56 AM EDT by RWC57]
Here in Pennsylvania, semi autos are not allowed for hunting...does anyone make a barrel without the gas port to allow single shot fire?

This set up would really piss off the boys in plaid flannel.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:22:11 AM EDT
Get it with a side charging handle.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:24:12 AM EDT
Tim at Ko-tonics will sell you a 5/8x24 threaded 16" barrel (4140, chrome lined) with no gas port drilled. Just have him add a Cerakote finish and you have your single shot barrel, ready to install.

Fourth item down on this page
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:23:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 5:12:06 AM EDT by KEA]
Could you not just remove the gas key from the bolt carrier?

And, what's so funny DaveS?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:56:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KEA:
Could you not just remove the gas key from the bolt?

No, but you could.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:52:05 AM EDT
Just take the gas tube off and spin the gas block to cover the hole
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:29:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By constructor:

Spoil Sport.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:42:47 AM EDT

Assuming a gas block and not a pinned FSB, clamped FUFS, etc... Also assuming the inverted gas block will fit that way under the handguards (if the block started under the handguards to begin with).
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:00:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DaveS:

Originally Posted By KEA:
Could you not just remove the gas key from the bolt?

No, but you could.

I think that there would be a shit load of hot gas blowing though the upper and through the charging handle slot etc...

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:01:19 PM EDT

Where would the hot gas go...there would be no relief...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:09:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 1:10:31 PM EDT by Hyperformer]
NVERMND....I was in a diff. conversation....
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:25:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RWC57:

Out the end of the muzzle. Having a gas port in the barrel is not required for the successful and safe firing of an AR-type rifle. Just ask anyone shooting ARs in Great Britain. I suppose, however, that the blocked off gas port would eventually start to erode, but I have no idea if this would affect anything before the barrel was shot out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:57:56 PM EDT
The port only erodes if gas passes through it, It's a dead end in this case.
Below is a photo of a LR10 308 and a AR15 6.5 Banshee, neither has ports.
It's a test I do to check accuracy before I drill the port and after. Some smiths having problems with short stroke just keep drilling the port larger, a big port that catches the land will affect accuracy.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:16:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:43:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2007 1:46:59 AM EDT by AR-fan]

Originally Posted By Ko-tonics:

Here in Pennsylvania, semi autos are not allowed for hunting...does anyone make a barrel without the gas port to allow single shot fire?

This set up would really piss off the boys in plaid flannel.

I can build one for you if you'd like. Send me an email of what you have in mind. I don't have a side handle upper, but you can always yank the charge handle per usual. Or we could do a little investigating. Would be a fun project, and a very easy build.

I believe somebody had started a thread here on ARFCOM about a manually operated AR for hunting and was answered by some members in Great Britain. Over there only 22 rimfires can be semi-auto. They had some really neat setups with bolt handles on the right side and modified upper receivers to work with them. Sorry -- too many brain farts have blown where I saw it out of my memory.

Edit: dang, I found it -- link to AR bolt rifle
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:23:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Out the end of the muzzle. Having a gas port in the barrel is not required for the successful and safe firing of an AR-type rifle. Just ask anyone shooting ARs in Great Britain. I suppose, however, that the blocked off gas port would eventually start to erode, but I have no idea if this would affect anything before the barrel was shot out.

I know the gas would go out the muzzle and know that the port has nothing to do with shooting a bullet. I don't think the port would erode. I think whatever is being used to stop the gas would eventually fail...but maybe I am wrong.
Top Top