Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2004 11:22:30 AM EDT
how does one remove it?

A special tool is not required is it?

It can be removed with your basic tools correct?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Hacksaw.  Just before it connects to lower receiver.  Use dental picks to get the lil pieces left.

- BUCC_Guy

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Separate the upper and the lower receivers and put the upper out of the way.

Depress the buffer retainer and remove the buffer, and buffer spring from the receiver extention (buffer tube)

As stated above, Top screw will allow you to remove the stock from the receiver extention (buffer tube).  Now, there may be some locktite on the screw, so becareful not to strip the screw if you use a drill or power screwdriver.  Try and use a large slotted screwdriver.

<READ FIRST BEFORE PROCEEDING>
Now, as you slide the stock off the receiver extention (buffer tube) there will be a small spring/detent that will pop out if you slide the stock off too quickly.  This is the detent and spring holding in your rear takedown pin.  Once the stock is removed, keep tabs on the spring/detent or it will fall out and you may lose it.

Now you will need a 5/8ths inch wrench on the flats at the end of the receiver extention (buffer tube).  If there are no flats, then the Buttcap spacer is still on the end.  Pull it off and you should see flats for the wrench.  If you see flats and are wondering what the heck I'm talking about, look in the stock and there should be a small cylidrical object.  That's the buttcap spacer.  If you are using an A1 stock, this will not be here.

Righty/tighty, left/loosey

CUP YOUR HAND OVER THE RECEIVER AS YOU UNSCREW THE RECEIVER EXTENTION (BUFFER TUBE).
The buffer retainer will pop out and if you aren't careful it and the spring will fly across the room and you may never find them again.

That's about it.  Large slotted screwdriver and 5/8th inch wrench.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
tagged for 9/14
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Origionaly postd by Vinnie:
CUP YOUR HAND OVER THE RECEIVER AS YOU UNSCREW THE RECEIVER EXTENTION (BUFFER TUBE).
The buffer retainer will pop out and if you aren't careful it and the spring will fly across the room and you may never find them again.

Definetly be sure and remember this. I havnt had any trouble with the takedown pin detent and spring, But I have almost lost the buffer detent and spring on 3 sperate ocasions. Each time it took me almost 45 minuites to find them both after they shot out of the reciever.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Origionaly postd by Vinnie:

Definetly be sure and remember this. I havnt had any trouble with the takedown pin detent and spring, But I have almost lost the buffer detent and spring on 3 sperate ocasions. Each time it took me almost 45 minuites to find them both after they shot out of the reciever.

My takedown detent and spring went AWOL when I got up to answer the phone.  They just fell out and disappeared.  I still have a Buffer Retainer spring floating around somewhere while a spring from a pen is taking it's place until I finally track it down.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top