Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 3:13:37 PM EDT
Let's face it, good optics can cost a fair amount in today's market, particularly telescopic sights.  With that in mind, it pays to give them whatever protection may be available from damage.

For one of my rifles, I own a Springfield Armory Tactical Gov. Model and have been in search of a means of protecting it, from the elements, from unintentional bumps and dings, even from myself.  I think what would be ideal is a rubberized jacket that fits or slips onto the exterior, not unlike that offered by Aimpoint(TM) for their most recent CompM3 line.  This would allow protection during use and storage, but I'm not aware of anyone who manufactures such an animal.

Short of that, I've been looking at a Neoprene cover that will at least protect my scope during travel, storage ... any time I'm not actually using it.  This led me to Devtron, the maker of the Scopecoat line.  You may know them from the jackets they make with Trijicon sights.  Supposedly, they have a Scopecoat that will work with every weaponsight (plus astronomy telescopes and more).  If it turns out one of their covers won't work for your scope, they have the ability to custom fabricate a cover for you at a competative rate.  I'm about to find out.

With the sunshade in place, my Springfield scope is some 18" in length with an objective lens of 40mm.  What time I have into this search has shown me this is a relatively unusual size for the scope protectors currently on the market.  I suppose I should say, for protection that doesn't sloppy fit over the scope, tied on with elastic or string.

Scopecoat is going to send me one of their 6mm thickness covers for my evaluation.  I'll only pay for it if it works.  If it doesn't, they've offered to custom fabricate a cover.  These are folks who've diligently responded to my e-mail and kept contact via telephone to make certain I'm getting what is right for me.  I say, if their product is as good as their customer service, they should go far.  Just in case, I recommended this forum .

The broader question is, what are you folks using to protect your scopes?  Is there something better than the Scopecoat?  Have I missed a manufacturer of rubberized custom scope jackets?  Some of you folks have built some very nice platforms.  Apart from the home safe, how are you protecting your optics investment?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top