User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By savagemann:
I decided to make up a few different patterns recently.

https://i.imgur.com/m5J6O9h.jpg
View Quote

These are awesome, you could probably make some $$$ in the EE.

What kind of sewing machine are you using, and what kind of learning curve is there to be able to make these?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Are use the mill spec monkey webpage, and strap works to get my parts. On YouTube are used HossUSMC video as a guide. I’ve made five or six of these so far and sell them to my friends
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 2apatriot:

These are awesome, you could probably make some $$$ in the EE.

What kind of sewing machine are you using, and what kind of learning curve is there to be able to make these?
View Quote

Hey thanks!
I've thought about listing some in the EE.
I'm using a Juki 8700H heavy duty industrial machine.
My learning curve was a little steep. I think I made about 40 slings to get them to where I think they are perfect. I've poured a lot of $$ into materials, like fabric, webbing, thread, different padding material etc to figure it all out.
I tried as much as possible to keep it's design unique, as I don't want a cookie cutter sling that looks like everyone else's.
They are super lightweight, but very durable. That was a tough balance to figure out. They only weigh a couple ounces. I literally poured a couple thousand $$ into trying every type of webbing/fabric combo I could get my hands on.
I very recently decided to start up a little website to try and sell them, but have been reluctant to talk about it on here, because I don't want to break any advertising rules etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot] [#4]

Hey thanks!
My learning curve was a little steep. I think I made about 40 slings to get them to where I think they are perfect. I've poured a lot of $$ into materials, like fabric, webbing, thread, different padding material etc to figure it all out.
I tried as much as possible to keep it's design unique, as I don't want a cookie cutter sling that looks like everyone else's.
They are super lightweight, but very durable. That was a tough balance to figure out. They only weigh a couple ounces. I literally poured a couple thousand $$ into trying every type of webbing/fabric combo I could get my hands on.
I very recently decided to start up a little website to try and sell them, but have been reluctant to talk about it on here, because I don't want to break any advertising rules etc.
View Quote

IM inbound.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I discovered Strapworks when researching using seat belt material for a wide sling.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone know where I can get 1” webbing that is more flexible?  I really like the webbing used on my Haley Strategic sling which is a lot thinner and more flexible than my BFG and basically all other slings which seem to be made with a std thick and less flexible webbing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By yosturm:
Anyone know where I can get 1” webbing that is more flexible?  I really like the webbing used on my Haley Strategic sling which is a lot thinner and more flexible than my BFG and basically all other slings which seem to be made with a std thick and less flexible webbing.
View Quote

Texcel 17337 Solution dyed webbing is some of the softest I have found. The stuff is great, if you are looking for soft.
I think it is rated for 1200lbs too!
I just tested one of my slings the other day made with that stuff.
Had my buddy who is 155lbs standing on it. Then we put a 274lbs dude on it, and it held up!
That was with plastic hardware as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Texcel 17337 Solution dyed webbing is some of the softest I have found. The stuff is great, if you are looking for soft.]
View Quote

Cool.  Where can I get some?  I will just be making a couple of slings so a place where I can order low quantities by the foot would be needed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 5:41:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#9]
I think Jontay has some. Maybe check Rockywoods too. Be sure it is 17337 Solution Dyed. That is the soft stuff.

Edited to add.....I think I sourced some a while back by the yard from Whisky Two Four
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#10]

Cool.  Where can I get some?  I will just be making a couple of slings so a place where I can order low quantities by the foot would be needed.
View Quote

55301 solution dyed webbing is another option. It has a slightly beefier weave than 17337, but both are rated about the same. Very similar specs. Should be soft and pliable like I was mentioning previously.

https://www.wtfidea.com/coyote-brown-solution-dyed-a-a-55301-milspec-nylon-1-inch-25mm-webbing-berry-compliant/
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Did you ever find any? I could probably send you a little bit
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Hey thanks!
View Quote

That's awesome. I hope you sell shitloads of them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AS556:

View Quote

Thanks man!
I launched on Sunday, and sold out in about an hour!
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hey thanks!

Anyone wanting to assist in the effort would find this link helpful:  https://citizengearco.square.site/s/shop

I don't think he can advertise, but I think it's OK for others to discuss his site.  These look like great options at half the price of the big names.  I know you can build 'em yourself even cheaper (especially if you're making several), but these are priced just right to get me to buy from him rather than going through the hassle of sourcing everything and putting it together myself.  I also hope he sells a buttload and turns a profit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DaTrueDave:

Anyone wanting to assist in the effort would find this link helpful:  https://citizengearco.square.site/s/shop

I don't think he can advertise, but I think it's OK for others to discuss his site.  These look like great options at half the price of the big names.  I know you can build 'em yourself even cheaper (especially if you're making several), but these are priced just right to get me to buy from him rather than going through the hassle of sourcing everything and putting it together myself.  I also hope he sells a buttload and turns a profit.
View Quote

If he's paying attention to this thread I have a suggestion; let people know estimated shipping before they put in their personal info.  Any time a site makes me share marketable info before letting me know if they charge ass-raping shipping is an automatic nope for me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Great thread. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I bought one to check it out.  Pending the inspection, I have several more I will buy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By broberts001:

I bought one to check it out.  Pending the inspection, I have several more I will buy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By broberts001:

I went ahead and got 3, I'm very happy with the quality. I especially like the shoulder pad and the pull tab with the rubber. I'm looking forward to running some drills with them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By codifier:

If he's paying attention to this thread I have a suggestion; let people know estimated shipping before they put in their personal info.  Any time a site makes me share marketable info before letting me know if they charge ass-raping shipping is an automatic nope for me.
View All Quotes

Yeah, that's the site that @savagemann set up to sell his slings.  He posted right above me.  By all means talk directly to him.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Cool! Subbed for initial impressions.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I’m in for 2 for Citizen Gear. Came here with plans to make my own, but cant really pass up on a quality made in USA sling from an Arfcommer at that price!
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By shwa:
Well I’m in for 2 for Citizen Gear. Came here with plans to make my own, but cant really pass up on a quality made in USA sling from an Arfcommer at that price!
View Quote

Ditto. Just preordered one to check it out and support a fellow member.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered a Stark sling in Multicam. It will be interesting comparing it to the custom BFG w/metal hardware in Multicam black I received just yesterday. Good luck with the business.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:40:08 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate the feedback. I made some changes because of it. 👍
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:44:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the support everyone.
I've been paying attention here, but laying a little lowkey on posting in this thread.
I really don't want to break any of the rules of the site, and am a little unclear on what I can and can't do to step on any toes.
I am inquiring about advertising so I can be a little more interactive.
Feel free to reach out to me on msg, site or social media.
Glad people are liking the slings!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#26]
A note on Strapworks: I recently contacted them regarding purchasing a couple of dog collars in size XL which was unavailable on the Strapworks site. Also ordered a leash. They told me to order from their sister site Moosepetwear. They told me to contact them when I ordered and they would hook me up with Dealer pricing on the dog items. I told them I was hoping to get a few plastic buckles from Strapworks... they said they could combine orders to save me separate shipping.

I placed the order and not wanting to be a hog, told them not to worry about setting me up for dealer pricing. It was a small order and I was happy just saving on the shipping. The next day I noticed a refund of $12.50 on my card from my $35 order. They had gone ahead and processed me as a dealer for the pet supplies.

I have purchased webbing and buckles from Strapworks in the past. They are a fantastic company to deal with!
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#27]
@2apatriot

Thanks for starting this thread. Ordered all the components from Mil-spec Monkey. Got enough to make a few VTAC equivalents slings. And including shipping, paid less than a single VTAC sling.

Looks super simple to put them together. Hopefully the stuff ships fairly quickly. Will need to pick up a couple QD attachments and/or HK hooks as well. Still debating on what route to go. Probably a get both scenario.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CheckYourself:
@2apatriot

Thanks for starting this thread. Ordered all the components from Mil-spec Monkey. Got enough to make a few VTAC equivalents slings. And including shipping, paid less than a single VTAC sling.

Looks super simple to put them together. Hopefully the stuff ships fairly quickly. Will need to pick up a couple QD attachments and/or HK hooks as well. Still debating on what route to go. Probably a get both scenario.
View Quote

Damage Industries has good qd swivels in stock, last I checked.
Not sure they have hk hooks, but Mil Spec Monkey usualy does.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Making some of these today. That MultiCam Black is hot.
What do you guys think of the OD green pull-tab with the MultiCam Black?
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Love it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Plastic or metal triglades and if plastic do you know what type?
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:45:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Color-wise I think it looks fine, but maybe consider folding over that grippy material length wise, so at least one edge looks a little more finished? That is, assuming your machine can handle it, and assuming it is worth the time or effort.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Color-wise I think it looks fine, but maybe consider folding over that grippy material length wise, so at least one edge looks a little more finished? That is, assuming your machine can handle it, and assuming it is worth the time or effort.
View Quote

Good call. I'd tried that, but the material is pretty thick and doesn't like to fold.
But you gave me an idea, I could try cutting it wider and folding it around the edge of the webbing and underneath.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Good call. I'd tried that, but the material is pretty thick and doesn't like to fold.
But you gave me an idea, I could try cutting it wider and folding it around the edge of the webbing and underneath.
View Quote

Yeah maybe just make a "tube" of the grippy stuff, and you shouldn't have to punch through any more layers of material to hold it in place. Tack the grippy stuff into a tube (hiding the seam inside), then box the tube to the webbing, looks continuous. If that makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Yeah maybe just make a "tube" of the grippy stuff, and you shouldn't have to punch through any more layers of material to hold it in place. Tack the grippy stuff into a tube (hiding the seam inside), then box the tube to the webbing, looks continuous. If that makes sense.
View Quote

It does, great idea!
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:21:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: savagemann] [#37]
Originally Posted By d16man:
I just got a citizens gear sling in the mail today....initial take:  it really looks like a solid option.  Wish they had an item for SBa3 braces.....
View Quote

How would it attach? Into the qd or through the strap slot?
I'm not intimately familiar with the brace.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a lot of stuff from Strapworks to make slings for rifles. They are a great resource. Ive even loaned slings out to buddies and they liked them. They dont have pads, but maybe someday I can get my sewing machine out and give it a try. I normally use HK clips so you can switch back and forth between one and two point slings with ease. That is unless I habe QD mounts, then of course I use QD.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Damage Industries has good qd swivels in stock, last I checked.
Not sure they have hk hooks, but Mil Spec Monkey usualy does.
View Quote

Thanks!

I purchased everything I needed from Mil Spec Monkey to make a couple slings. Was going to purchase through Strapworks, but they didn’t have the cam buckles. And I didn’t want to pay shipping twice for such small packages. Order consisted of the following...

- 1” mil 17337 webbing (18 feet)
- Triglides (12 units)
- Cam buckles (2 units)

While they were in transit, I used the time to think about what route to go attachment wise. Most of my hand guards have QD already. But I decided to order a BFG uLoop and a couple HK hooks. Neither have arrived yet. But I could still take a crack at building one with an inexpensive UTG QD set I’ve wanted to test out.

Followed the TheHossUSMC video tutorial. Super simple. One thing I’ll probably change in the future is the length I cut for the adjustable segment of the sling. His video said to cut two (roughly) 4’ lengths of material. Buy I’m only 6’1” and 175 lbs. While TheHossUSMC is, well, about the size you’d imagine a guy called Hoss would be.

Will end up trimming the tail down a bit. But want to play around with it before deciding how much. Put this one on my “value” model AR pistol. Which is where I’ll test and run less expensive, but well regarded hardware, to see how it holds up. Just added the light the other day. Snagged in on Prime day for like $35. So far I’m impressed with it. But will see if it takes some abuse. Going to pick up some more bike inner tube tomorrow to better secure it. The light seems solid. But strap that came with it is garbage.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Right on.
Looking solid.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Right on.
Looking solid.
View Quote

Thanks man! Not nearly as nice as the ones you’re putting together. But definitely the best option under $10 that one could go with.

Keep up the awesome work with your slings. I need to snag one before the special pricing is gone. Based on the photos and end user comments, I’d imagine you could make this a full time gig if you really wanted to.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CheckYourself:

Thanks man! Not nearly as nice as the ones you’re putting together. But definitely the best option under $10 that one could go with.

Keep up the awesome work with your slings. I need to snag one before the special pricing is gone. Based on the photos and end user comments, I’d imagine you could make this a full time gig if you really wanted to.
View Quote

Thank you Sir. I appreciate that!
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#43]
For me 1" webbing is no bueno.  I ordered some 1.25" webbing and flat metal sliders.  I was able to make a decent replica of the GI type "silent sling" for about $5 each.  I made some in black and some in OD green.  I've also made some using 1.5" webbing and sliders.  The wider the more comfortable for me.  With normal sling swivels 1.5" is about as wide as you can go though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I picked up one of the Stark slings, and it's very nice.  Light, comfortable, and flexible - I have it set up on my SU16, and posted a pic in the KTOG forum.  First response was "Nice sling!  Info?"
I have lots of sling parts and webbing, but prefer padded slings, and I just don't have the chops to make something as nice as this.

The fold in the padding is from tucking it into a ranger band on the stock while it's in the case.

Not an AR, but this is my California friendly trunk gun candidate:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/12/2020 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By maxicon:

I picked up one of the Stark slings, and it's very nice.  Light, comfortable, and flexible - I have it set up on my SU16, and posted a pic in the KTOG forum.  First response was "Nice sling!  Info?"
I have lots of sling parts and webbing, but prefer padded slings, and I just don't have the chops to make something as nice as this.

The fold in the padding is from tucking it into a ranger band on the stock while it's in the case.

Not an AR, but this is my California friendly trunk gun candidate:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52251/SU16_holosight-sling_02a_JPG-1680887.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52251/SU16_allen-wedge-case-open_01a_JPG-1680889.JPG
View Quote

Looking good man!
I've always wanted an SU16.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for costing (saving!) me money again. About $60 in materials here. Still have four HK style hooks left. I can get the Bluewater webbing discounted from work. Just some basic bitch functional slings. Happy Thanksgiving!

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Very nice. And you know that tubular webbing is pretty stout!
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Cool thread, tagged!
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:42:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrailerTrash556] [#49]
Awesome work in this thread. Very inspiring.

Strapworks has an Amazon store in case anybody didnt know. My parts were delivered quickly and well packaged.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Bump so this doesn't get archived and the information lost.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top