Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/12/2018 10:35:48 AM EDT
I'm currently doing an SPR-esque build with an 18" HBAR from Criterion. Intended engagement range is 300-800m, with shots out to 1000m when bench resting for fun.

I'm planning on a FFP 3-15x scope since the weight difference between that and a 2-10/12x is negligeable.

For these relatively shorter engagements at lower mag ranges against multiple targets, should I opt for a mildot type reticle like the SCR, or the Horus? Never used a Horus type reticle but heard good things about it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:55:37 AM EDT
I find something like a Horus, xmas tree, ebr-2c, etc... to be about optimal. JMHO.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:57:55 AM EDT
my two cents

I got into longer range shooting with standard mil-dot. in the middle of a long range class, my elevation turret broke, so the instructor was kind enough to let me use his Bushnell HDMR II 3.5-21X with H59. I have never looked back after using it. I was going from estimating b/t 1MIL dots to something that had holdover lines. I could use the bottom grid out to about 600M for wind calls and elevation - no dialing. (I was shooting 6.5G on a course that had 600 - 1000Y, from memory, 1K is a 13 MIL elevation dial/hold). Yes, you can do all of this on a standard mil-dot, but the extra granularity and bottom grid are REALLY useful. If you are using a round like 308 or 6.5C (everyone else was), you would never have to dial out to 1K. I think 308 elevation holds were in the sub-10 range and 6.5C were in the mid-8's.

The elevation lead lines (those right on top of the horizontal stadia line that make a "hat" across the reticle) can be used to do distance/hold estimation without formulas or range finder. We tested that out as well and it works well enough to make hits.

If I could do it over, the two scopes I have that are mil-dot would be H59's or Tremor3, or the Vortex EBR-2C.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with mil-dot...especially if you are just learning the ropes with it. That's my two cents from an average long range shooter that does not do competitions, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:26:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:50:51 AM EDT
I have a Vortex with the EBR-2C mrad reticle. I like it. Eliminates the need to dial in many circumstances. Lack of windage holds is a deal breaker for me for shooting longer range, personally. You COULD always dial but IMHO the reticle has great utility. If you manage to spot your miss you have a useful reference point as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:00:01 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jondelong:
H59's or Tremor3, or the Vortex EBR-2C.
View Quote
This. or the SKMR3
Top Top