Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 5:06:03 AM EDT
Whats your tricks on eliminating this???
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]
tried accu-wedge?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Heard they sucked and was a waist of money... Do you have any exp. with it?

Also heard about the oring on the back lug... dont know how hot it can get ,,, anybody else know?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#3]
u could use the accu-wedge but that is prolly the worst since it forces the upper and lower more apart making even more slop over time.
Jp rifles has this thing called the tension pin and works great. Its a screw with a cross cut sleeve that fits over and when tightens it grabs the receivers and bring them together. I've been using one on my AR 50 bmg rifle for 6 months now, and its works great. Only thing it sux about thats its not field strippable, u need a flat head and an allen key.

check it out.

www.jprifles.com  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]
u could use the accu-wedge but that is prolly the worst since it forces the upper and lower more apart making even more slop over time.
Jp rifles has this thing called the tension pin and works great. Its a screw with a cross cut sleeve that fits over and when tightens it grabs the receivers and bring them together. I've been using one on my AR 50 bmg rifle for 6 months now, and its works great. Only thing it sux about thats its not field strippable, u need a flat head and an allen key.

check it out.

www.jprifles.com

Good idea but WHOA the price is a little steep.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Little rubber O-ring on front lug. $.20 a piece.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#6]
you need about 2 feet of duct tape and just wrap it around your upper and lower. Works great.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:13:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Accuwedge works fine. Go that route. Besides, you'd only be out a few bucks and could probably off it in the EE if it didn't work out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I took an AccuWedge and with an exacto knife trimmed the wedge till the rifle closed with next to no excess prssure to keep it closed and still be able to push the lock pin in easily.

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Does it really bother you that much?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

(I heard this works, but I have a Colt so I've never had to try it.)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Accuwedge--fits in fine, and makes lockup tight
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Leave it alone, it doesn't do any harm unless the whole rifle excessively wobbles.  The wedge thingie is a misnomer, I'd love to see proof of it producing any accuracy to speak of.  It also makes assembly/disassembly of the rifle a royal pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I finally had to put an Accuwedge in my Colt SP-1 after 21 years.  Locked it up tight, not that there was much slop, just enough that I noticed it.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
you need about 2 feet of duct tape and just wrap it around your upper and lower. Works great.

Home Depot sells 3M Duct Tape in Black if you have any worries
I happen to have a roll and use it to patch my Black Pool Cover
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Home Depot sells 3M Duct Tape in Black if you have any worries
I happen to have a roll and use it to patch my Black Pool Cover

Only a yankee    

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Whats your tricks on eliminating this???

A little Micro-Bed , or Acura-Glass will totally elimanate 100% of any play between receivers!!

I always use the release agent on the lower and the bedding compound on any uppers that I will be useing with that lower....., it's the perfect fix!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Hot glue also works quite well. I apply it to the upper lug, with the lower contact area coated with some form of release compound (oil).
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1

yup it works.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Armalite's Library (Tech Notes) is your friend.

www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote55.htm

"TECHNICAL NOTE 55:  RECEIVER TIGHTNESS

"Receivers will normally exhibit a certain amount of looseness.  This is normal and will not affect accuracy.  Shooters may reduce the movement by insertion of a small amount of material between the receivers to improve the feel of the rifle, but it won’t improve accuracy."
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Colt is no different than any other AR. Oh I forgot my LMT is "just a copy" right? Actually I owned three Pre-Ban Colts, all had slop so what are you talking about.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Accu-wedge works great on my Bushmaster, but not on my Stag.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:12:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Accuwedge will not fit in RRA/STAG.  Ask me how I know.  They have a higher rear shelf.  Trimmed the wedge down, but it fell apart during the trimming w/ razor.  I found a 1/16" flat rubber washer to fit under the rear lug that does the same thing at ACE hardware for $.30.  The o-ring on the front lug works too, but everytime you disassemble the rifle for cleaning, it puts a small tear in the o-ring.  Eventually, it will tear.  Cheap, but a pain in the ass when you look in the spares baggie and there's not an extra.  Will not help accuracy, but makes for a tight fit between receivers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#26]
                         Accuwedge will not fit in RRA/STAG.

If you have a RRA, there is no need for accuwedge! RRA has the best fit & finish of any AR that I've seen. Just my $ .02, YMMV.

700P
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top