Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2015 5:00:05 PM EDT
I just picked up a Hexmag today and it is not feeding. I loaded it to 28 rounds and tried to cycle it by hand and almost every time it the round would get halfway out of the magazine and the bolt would stop. I grabbed one of my loaded pmags and the gun cycled just fine by hand. I have not shot with the magazine yet, but I would think it should still cycle by hand. I tried depressing the follower with my hand to see if I felt any grittiness, and I didn't. However, it just didn't seem to be as smooth as the pmag follower. I also noticed that the follower on the hexmag would tilt forward if I pressed on the front of the follower, but the entire follower would move down on the pmag if I pushed on the front of the pmag follower. I have bought two or three more of these hexmags online and I am waiting for them to come in.

Rifle: Adams Arms AR 15, carbine length gas system

My question is this: is this simply a bad magazine or is it a compatibility issue?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:04:11 PM EDT
Hexmags have been kind of iffy in the mag forum, they work for some guys some of the time, work fine for others.

I would try to run it live fire, and if it doesn't work out, stick with USGI, PMAG, Lancer
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:37:32 PM EDT
Thanks for the response. I had tried to search the forums, but I didn't find anything. I am hoping to go shooting in the next week or so and will report back afterwards.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:42:38 PM EDT
Shoot it, you can't determine function by hand cycling.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 5:57:17 PM EDT
its easy to jam up anything hand cycling. Need to shoot it to find out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 6:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2015 6:08:24 PM EDT by therealdonjohnson]
Shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:41:29 PM EDT
I got ride of my Hex mag for pretty much the same reason. 2 out of the three times I used it I loaded it into the gun. Attempted to make the gun live or whatever and it didn't chamber the round. When the round was finally chambered after slamming it and trying a second time I had no issues. But it wasn't like I was babying anything. I like my stuff to work and two out of three isn't working. It almost seemed like the mag wasn't riding high enough for the bcg to catch the round but I didn't really look into it considering the other branded mags I had worked flawlessly. I summed it up to an issue with my gun until now and readi.g this post makes it seem more like a Hex mag issue.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:47:53 PM EDT
I helped my buddy buy a NJ compliant AR15

It's a DD M4V11 with perm attached DD brake and a pinned stock.

The shop had full body 15rd NJ compliant hex mags. After shooting I noticed that the feedramps are caked in copper, worse than I've ever seen. Either the feedlips are causing excessive drag on the rounds or the follower/spring is keeping them at more of a downward angle, so their slamming into the upper/feedramps and gouging the jacket. Based on your observations of the follower behavior OP, that sounds to be plausible.

We are supposed to go shooting again soon, I plan to scrub the feedramps and have him use my PMAGS for the whole session.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:33:11 PM EDT
No problems with my Hex mags, I've run them with both 5.56 and 300BO
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:42:33 PM EDT
Are you dropping the bolt or riding it forward with the CH?

Seems like my range buddy had similar issues with one.  After he shot with it 1 or 2 full mags worth it doesn't seem to give him any issues.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:16:11 PM EDT
I was having problems both with the bolt release (just releasing the bolt from locked open) and pulling the charging handle back and releasing it quickly.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:35:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2015 11:35:03 PM EDT by Lancelot]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:47:13 AM EDT
I have 5 that were given to me to run.  I have about 6-700 rds through them in LMT and Colts with no issues.  Have you tried contacting hex mag to alert them to the issue?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:28:26 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Metro6:
I have 5 that were given to me to run.  I have about 6-700 rds through them in LMT and Colts with no issues.  Have you tried contacting hex mag to alert them to the issue?
View Quote

I have no idea how many rounds I have through mine now but it's well into the thousands.  Never a single issue.  I really don't ever recall trying to dry cycle rounds through them though.  They've always chambered fine from both a locked bolt to running the charging handles though.

AR's like CMMG, Bushmaster, DPMS and Sig to Keltecs, Beretta ARX100 and Tavor's.  I've documented my experiences in this thread: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/684130_Hexmag_HX30_AR_mag_and_grip_review.html

OP I would try and run them first.  If the problem persists under live fire, I'd contact them.  Perhaps there is an issue with the reduced capacity magazine follower/block you have?  Not sure, all mine are 30 rounders.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 8:10:46 PM EDT
Maybe they are being over loaded?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 8:58:03 PM EDT
Sometimes you have to mess with a new mag. Take a piece of wood like a slat that will fit between the feed lips and vigorously cycle the follower all the way down and let it spring up - maybe about 10 cycles at a time. Now load it with 30 rounds and set it aside for a week. Chances are it will then run pretty good. There's no reason not to load any AR magazine to capacity. Just always load with the bolt locked back.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:40:50 PM EDT
I have several running in my Colt with no issues.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:36:47 PM EDT
Okay. I have not fired through the magazine yet, but I am planning to this weekend. In reference to several questions, I have the 30 round FDE magazine and I was loading it to 28. I will report back after I have shot through the magazine a couple of times.

The forum support here is incredible and I thank you all!
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2015 10:00:05 PM EDT by wallyworld51]
I bought a half dozen hexmags a week ago. I filled one with 64 gn Nosler bonded soft points(flat tip). I pulled the charging handle back, released it ..clunk jammed on the ramp. Pulled charging handle all the way back and locked it. Released the BCG and ...clunk. Jammed on the feed ramp. Dropped the mag and checked bullet and it was jammed back INTO the case with powder spilling out! I tried it with another hex mag...same results....bullets pushed deeper into the case. Got my Pmag 20 rounder out and they feed just fine. I put in some fmj rounds and they feed fine but they will not feed the Nosler 64 gn bonded. I use those rounds as my goto home defense rounds and am glad I found this out before something bad happened. Anyone else had this problem? Carbine is a Stag 2LT with many hundreds of trouble free rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:51:15 PM EDT
That is exactly what was happening to me except my bullets weren't being pushed back into the case. They just weren't feeding and were getting stuck on the ramp. My pmags fed fine though even fully loaded.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:28:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hamman13:
That is exactly what was happening to me except my bullets weren't being pushed back into the case. They just weren't feeding and were getting stuck on the ramp. My pmags fed fine though even fully loaded.
View Quote

Were the rounds fmj or soft point? My fmj feed fine or at least the ones I used....60 gn plastic tip vamint rounds. Seems the angle of feed is not right for some bullets. May save these for sale at next Obumma ' anti-2nd A executive order'
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:44:59 PM EDT
I was trying to feed 55 gr FMJ. I did get a couple more of the hexmags in, but I have not tried to fire with them yet. Sunday afternoon I will though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 3:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2015 3:29:30 PM EDT by Stukas87]
Front wall of the Hexmag is either too thick or not enough clearance height for rounds above front wall from the feed lips. Chances are noses of rounds are catching on front wall of Hexmag.

I had chambering issues, this what I determined was going on.

Not trying to bash others ideas, but there should be no issues to have to mess with a new mag to get it to work.
Plenty of other mags out there that work great out the gate. Hexmags do look really cool, but not that cool you have to mess with it to make it work, do you really trust it then?
Loading mags to only 28, is a great technique for tac-reloads, less pressure to seat a mag. (Works great for 3gun speed reloads.) But its 2015 a modern magazine should be able to handle 30 rounds loaded for a very long time.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:40:39 PM EDT
Now that I think about it, your probably right. When I pulled the mag the round was still IN it......that wouldn't have happened if it was jamming on the feed ramp. You are also right that mags should work, with all ammo, out of the gate. I got some PMAGS today, loaded one up, ran the charging handle twice with 30 rounds and it ran smooth as silk I've got a couple Lancers on order but I'm going to stick with PMAGS and Okay/NHMTG/Colt and maybe D & H in the future.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:25:59 PM EDT
Some of the problems mentioned here are similar to some problems I had with ETS mags.

Working with ETS we found a solution that made my ETS mags 100% reliable.
Here is the thread that described both the problems and the solutions and one may want to consider doing the same to a Hexmag to see if it improves their function
ETS mag fix

You may want to contact Hexmag as they may not be as cooperative with making any mod to their mag as ETS was/is.

I should note when I contacted PWS about having  the ETS mag problem (with the older Mod 0 not the newer PWS Mod 1) they stated this was the first reported problem with the ETS mags but they had received some reports about Hexmags having problems

Please carefully compare the problems between the two brands before determining if the mod attempt has a good chance for success
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:13:08 PM EDT
they run flawlessly in my store bought lowers.
i get FTF, non loaders etc in my 80% builds. I don't know why.
I don't really care to find out at this point.

i just use pmags in those. no biggie.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:38:28 PM EDT
Alrighty, time for a small update. I was not able to go shooting Sunday to test the mags during live fire due to some unforeseen events. However, I did get the other two hexmags I ordered in and they seem to run just fine when I cycle the action by hand. I am hoping to get out this weekend and run some ammo through them and will post back then.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:22:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2015 10:25:10 PM EDT by hamman13]
Okay. I finally got out to go shooting over the weekend and the hexmags definitely do not work in my gun. I had multiple FTFs and one even mangled the case of one of the cartridges on the feedr amp. At that point, I threw the mags aside and used my pmags with absolutely no problem for the rest of the day (about another 150 rounds). If anybody wants three hexmags, you can have them if you cover shipping.

https://goo.gl/photos/sbe2SV9JFKGVjA8m6
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:11:03 AM EDT
So I had an issue today with one of the ones given me to to T&E . I had several failure to feed top round in mag while shooting- bolt would go partially forward, but not pushing top round into feed ramp. Had to work charging handle to feed  it did this numerous times over the course of fire- was shooting M193 ammo in an LMT- never had issues with same ammo in GI or PMags being used today as well
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 9:00:53 AM EDT
Okay. I finally got out to go shooting over the weekend and the hexmags definitely do not work in my gun. I had multiple FTFs and one even mangled the case of one of the cartridges on the feedr amp. At that point, I threw the mags aside and used my pmags with absolutely no problem for the rest of the day (about another 150 rounds). If anybody wants three hexmags, you can have them if you cover shipping.

View Quote

possible fix for Hexmags??

Wouldn't it make sense to try the fix that worked when similar problems with the ETS mags were being had?

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:26:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wulfmann:

Wouldn't it make sense to try the fix that worked when similar problems with the ETS mags were being had?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wulfmann:

Thanks for the link! I didn't know that there were fixes for this kind of thing. I will try this and see how it works out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:19:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:41:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Shared from GD

https://youtu.be/iunqf9pnbXk

View Quote

Interesting, I tried that with a hex mag and got single rounds to pop out hitting it with a good amount of force.
I tried the same thing with an M2 Pmag and singles popped out.
Repeated with an M3 Pmag and nothing came out.
Doesn't seem like a big deal as I'd say the amount of force I used was greater than a ground impact.

These mags had less than 100 rds through them.
Top Top