Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2017 9:39:33 PM EDT
I've got my eye on a Colt SOCOM or a Law Enforcement Carbine.  But a new Ruger is 1/2 the price. Heck a baseline S&W is 1/2 the price.  I'm wondering if the Colt is worth it. Opinions?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I got into a gently used LMT locally for $750. There are too many good deals out there now to pay $1200 for a Colt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I know you mentioned Colt and Ruger but have you thought about a BCM? Quite close in price and the BCM is a beast. I've had mine for 5 years now and I've never had one issue with it. I have their middy 16" CHF. The rifle is rock solid. Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've got my eye on a Colt SOCOM or a Law Enforcement Carbine.  But a new Ruger is 1/2 the price. Heck a baseline S&W is 1/2 the price.  I'm wondering if the Colt is worth it. Opinions?
View Quote

The Colt is a niche gun I guess. Gotta ask yourself. Do you want a 14.5" with a pinned muzzle device or a 16"? Worried about having a SOCOM profile barrel? Want a Knights Rail? Maybe for a first gun look at something else. Get your fill of a factory built gun and change all the furniture to your likings. Then once you've played with that look into something else. I got a SOCOM because I was looking for a 6920 anyway. But, at the same time I wanted a 14.5" upper instead of a 16". It would have cost me more to buy a Colt lower, 14.5" pinned upper, KAC rail and everything than to just buy the complete gun. In reality it just depends on what YOU want.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got into a gently used LMT locally for $750. There are too many good deals out there now to pay $1200 for a Colt.
View Quote
That's a screaming deal

OP, I'd go 16" BCM Reece with the 15" KMR-A
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The Colt is worth it to me. I like to know my ARs can handle abuse if they ever needed to.

That being said, for the price I've been really impressed with the M&P's ive handled and fired. So pick your poison, battle proven or cheap but solid. Both are good rifles.

Avoid the Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The Colt SOCOM for your first?  Probably overkill and I agree with the previous statement of "niche."   But a Colt 6920, in any flavor (and there are many now) for $630-$750 is the right move.  It used to be the sum of the parts was greater as a whole for a factory rifle.  We're in the twilight zone right now, where the sum of the parts on a 6920 are probably worth more than what you'll pay for the rifle.  Buy that now.  There will always be cheap Sport IIs and Rugers to pick up later.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wish I could.  I live out in a rural area.  Shops out here don't seem to mark down weapons regardless of the market.  Maybe another thin year or two, but not now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know you mentioned Colt and Ruger but have you thought about a BCM? Quite close in price and the BCM is a beast. I've had mine for 5 years now and I've never had one issue with it. I have their middy 16" CHF. The rifle is rock solid. Just food for thought.
View Quote
I'm not up on all brands, so I had to check out what BCM is.  Wow, it is even more expensive than Colt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Colt is a niche gun I guess. Gotta ask yourself. Do you want a 14.5" with a pinned muzzle device or a 16"? Worried about having a SOCOM profile barrel? Want a Knights Rail? Maybe for a first gun look at something else. Get your fill of a factory built gun and change all the furniture to your likings. Then once you've played with that look into something else. I got a SOCOM because I was looking for a 6920 anyway. But, at the same time I wanted a 14.5" upper instead of a 16". It would have cost me more to buy a Colt lower, 14.5" pinned upper, KAC rail and everything than to just buy the complete gun. In reality it just depends on what YOU want.
View Quote
I'm ex-Army MP, so I'm use to these weapons, but not near as up on the current brand and prices as many (most) here.  For the past six or seven years I've been running a CMMG gas piston that has done me well. I'm just getting an itch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Colt is worth it to me. I like to know my ARs can handle abuse if they ever needed to.

That being said, for the price I've been really impressed with the M&P's ive handled and fired. So pick your poison, battle proven or cheap but solid. Both are good rifles.

Avoid the Ruger.
View Quote
That is a big one for me, which is why I'm looking at Colt. I'd love some of the other, more expensive brands, but just can't justify it in my mind.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm ex-Army MP, so I'm use to these weapons, but not near as up on the current brand and prices as many (most) here.  For the past six or seven years I've been running a CMMG gas piston that has done me well. I'm just getting an itch.
View Quote
That's cool! I'd snag ya a Colt 6920 and call it a day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Colt SOCOM for your first?  Probably overkill and I agree with the previous statement of "niche."   But a Colt 6920, in any flavor (and there are many now) for $630-$750 is the right move.  It used to be the sum of the parts was greater as a whole for a factory rifle.  We're in the twilight zone right now, where the sum of the parts on a 6920 are probably worth more than what you'll pay for the rifle.  Buy that now.  There will always be cheap Sport IIs and Rugers to pick up later.
View Quote
Looking at Gunjoker and the Equipment Exchange here and I don't see those prices. Maybe in cities where there is more gun shop competition. There is one on Equipment Exchange, a LT barrel on a 6920 lower for $750, but it hasn't sold and hasn't sold and he isn't going any lower. Even if so, that light barrel would heat up pretty quick. If it was anything other than that I'd probably already have it (although someone else might either).
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#14]
If I was in the market for another Colt I'd be looking at the LE6920-R Trooper. Can be had for $717 plus $8 shipping from grabagun and comes with a Centurion CMR MLOK. Other than the LWRCI DI, I'd say it's one of the best deals out there at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm not up on all brands, so I had to check out what BCM is.  Wow, it is even more expensive than Colt.
View Quote
Their mod0 carbine or middy is the same price as some sites' SOCOM listings.

I know you said you're out in the sticks, but it might be worth it to make a trip to your closest city depending on the drive.

I'd bet you could find at least one store who'd cut you a good deal on a complete rifle
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#16]
799.99 Colt 6920

817.63 Colt 6920

Either of those can be shipped to your FFL and you can simply swap out the furniture later.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Get the Colt online. Prices are not going to be better than they are right now. It makes me want to buy another.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:27:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
799.99 Colt 6920

817.63 Colt 6920

Either of those can be shipped to your FFL and you can simply swap out the furniture later.
View Quote
Many thanks, Zerlak!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Older Colt absolutely. Newer Colt, hell no. It's no secret that colt isn't as good as they used to be and now there are many other good choices for similar money. If you have to have the Colt name then by all means get one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#20]
3 new Colts. All are perfect.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looking at Gunjoker and the Equipment Exchange here and I don't see those prices. Maybe in cities where there is more gun shop competition. There is one on Equipment Exchange, a LT barrel on a 6920 lower for $750, but it hasn't sold and hasn't sold and he isn't going any lower. Even if so, that light barrel would heat up pretty quick. If it was anything other than that I'd probably already have it (although someone else might either).
View Quote
Gotta get creative!  The OEMs can be had for $630 online.  A better deal may be looking at the Colorado compliant model. It has exactly ONE difference from a regular Colt 6920...it ships with a 10rd mag vs. a 30rd. Go to a website like gun.deals (used to be slickguns.com...great place to price check).  Search "LE6920CO."   You can get a ready to go gun for $750 shipped.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
No firearm is perfect, and the fit and finish of Colt AR's are about as imperfect as you can get.  Yes, they function fine.  Calling them perfect is fanboy bias.

You are paying for a roll stamp indifferently applied.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:45:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just a heads up, the Grabagun linked Colt is advertised as LE 6920, but is not a LE marked lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
799.99 Colt 6920

817.63 Colt 6920

Many thanks, Zerlak!
Just a heads up, the Grabagun linked Colt is advertised as LE 6920, but is not a LE marked lower.
Colt designates the model as a "LE6920", there is no basic "6920". The LE in the name of the rifle has nothing to do with markings on the lower.

Link to site.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No firearm is perfect, and the fit and finish of Colt AR's are about as imperfect as you can get.  Yes, they function fine.  Calling them perfect is fanboy bias.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do agree that no firearm is ever perfect but to trash on all Colts because some do leave the factory looking subpar is a bit unrealistic as well. I own 3 Colts now and the fit/finish on all are just fine.

There is actually more than a simple rollmark difference as well, when you get down to the parts themselves and people have discovered this through high round count classes or using their rifle in harsh elements.

The Ruger does not have anywhere near the quality of parts that the Colt will have. Most shooters will barely use their rifle, save for 100 here and there, and so sure it won't matter to them. Start stretching the legs and you will begin to wish you had something a bit more reputable.

Henderson made a post in the high round count thread of his even, detailing that his Colt bolts actually did last a bit longer than the PSA and that the PSA upper cracked much sooner than the Colt uppers.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So there are le 6920s without the le prefix on the serial?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt designates the model as a "LE6920", there is no basic "6920". The LE in the name of the rifle has nothing to do with markings on the lower.

Link to site.

So there are le 6920s without the le prefix on the serial?
The serial range will start with LE but the "For Law Enforcement Use Only" markings will not be on it. Those are a bit rare to find, these days.

The rifle from Grabagun is a LE6920 and it's serial range will still start with LE the same as even the 6920 OEM models do.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ah, now I see. I read the link totally wrong. LE prefix LE 6920. Just not roll marked LE/RESTRICTED. My bad.

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The serial range will start with LE but the "For Law Enforcement Use Only" markings will not be on it. Those are a bit rare to find, these days.

The rifle from Grabagun is a LE6920 and it's serial range will still start with LE the same as even the 6920 OEM models do.
Ah, now I see. I read the link totally wrong. LE prefix LE 6920. Just not roll marked LE/RESTRICTED. My bad.

Thanks.
Anytime. The "Law Enforcement" markings are in demand now and companies are often called asking for them. Betting Grabagun decided to just slap that in there to help prevent people from calling and asking or demanding a refund for lack of Law Enforcement Use markings.

Even in our own EE, you'll find the "For LEO Use" markings command a higher premium.

From what I've seen, any LE6920 (Weather it be OEM or even the 6921) will contain the LE in the serial number. The only non-LE serial number range rifle I've personally seen has been the AR15A4 which starts with CAR or "Colt Armalite Rifle" and is even marked with an "AR-15", as opposed to the M4 of the LE6920.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
With all the Expanse line and recent Colt Mexico lowers flooding the market, it's difficult to keep up to speed.

I saw CDNN was selling surplus Colts with varied markings recently. AR15, Sporter, LE lightweight. Premium pricing, of course.

Arms Unlimited is selling Colt Mexico, Match Target Competition , and Law Enforcement stripped lowers currently. The match target do not have the LE prefix, rather CAR as you stated, IIRC?

Both my 6920 lowers came LE prefix, I know the initial Expanse samples were CE prefix. Seems to be where the current confusion began.
View Quote
I'll admit to getting a little head shy whenever companies have so many "choices" that seem to confuse rather than aid. I am appreciating hearing folks opinions on the subject. For all the talk about good prices, I'm seeing most are still the same they were before the election.  I know they can't give them away, but I'll eventually find one of those deals. Like above, a used EMT for $750!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#32]
LE6920 $746

If you do get a Colt dont forget about their summer rebate.  Free soft case and a PMAG.  I was able to get them to accept the rebate I filed on my SOCOM.  At first they denied me but, after a quick email they went ahead and approved it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:28:05 AM EDT
[#35]
PSA has a carbine build kit for $350 just need a stripped lower and you have a complete rifle for $400. Spwnd the extra money on ammo and mags then shoot it a lot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#36]
If you're set on a Colt, take a look at the 6720 w/the pencil bbl.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Love my LMT.  I have a ton of rounds through it.  A true favorite/!!11
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a Colt 6920. Nice gun. I just bought an FN15 carbine with an A2 carry handle for $779. I am very impressed with the fit finish and quality, although I haven't shot it yet.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#39]
That Aero linked above is a very good deal, if you are not concerned with the Colt brand name.

Aero makes a solid rifle for the price, mil spec other than the nitrided barrel. But that isn't an issue, unless you do a lot of full auto shooting, as chrome lined handles that kind of use better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
PSA has a carbine build kit for $350 just need a stripped lower and you have a complete rifle for $400. Spwnd the extra money on ammo and mags then shoot it a lot.
View Quote
I already have several other ARs. One of them has a PSA lower, as well as a PSA .308.  They do fine. I just want a Colt...because.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you're set on a Colt, take a look at the 6720 w/the pencil bbl.
View Quote
There is actually someone on the Equipment Exchange right now with a real nice 6720.  I'd take it in a heartbeat, but he wants more than I can get a new 6720 law enforcement carbine for.  He is one of several I've had contact with that are adamant that he has "X" into his rifle and won't settle for anything less. Of course it is his right, but he might have to wait.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a Colt 6920. Nice gun. I just bought an FN15 carbine with an A2 carry handle for $779. I am very impressed with the fit finish and quality, although I haven't shot it yet.
View Quote
You know the gun on ARFCOM that runs a range out in Las Vegas, the one who has long posts about how ARs, AKs, FN products, and pistols hold up? Well, it is "his fault" I'm getting this. After reading his comments, now I want a Colt.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/High-round-count-AR-M4-s-over-100-000-rounds-and-how-they-have-handled-on-our-range/118-677135/?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd go with a Colt 6920 OEM and outfit it how you want. If you like the looks/setup of the SOCOM, you could grab a KAC RAS off the EE and a SOPMOD (or whatever stock you prefer); you'd have something very similar to a SOCOM for a lot less (minus the M4A1 markings and 14.5" pinned SOCOM barrel). If you think it's remotely possible you'll want a different stock or anything else, no point in paying for the factory furniture. All you need to decide is if you want an FSB or not.

On the other hand, if you think you'll ever have any interest in a clone build down the road (M4A1 SOPMOD Block 1/1.5/II or Mk18/CQBR), I'd get the SOCOM. It's worth having almost for the M4A1 marked lower alone.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#44]
CDNN is good to go. And that's a great price on the Colt.

Nothing wrong with a ruger either IMHO.

Quoted:
799.99 Colt 6920

817.63 Colt 6920

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
CDNN is good to go. And that's a great price on the Colt.

Nothing wrong with a ruger either IMHO.
View Quote
Resisting...resisting...resisting...starting to weaken...that CDNN Investments deal might get me before the weekend.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#46]
If you want a Colt, then a 6920 is the way to go, unless you want to spend more, then I would get their new rifle with midlength gas.

If I get a Colt myself though, it will be the A4 clone they have. Similar to what I was issued when I was in.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:29:58 AM EDT
[#47]
If you buy a Colt you will not have to worry about the quality. Socom14.5" is a awesome carbine!

I know first hand.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top