Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 5:23:48 AM EDT
So I've already decided on a 20" government profile, but should I get a 1:7 or a 1:9 twist?
I primarily shoot military type ammo(m193, m855) which most people would say dictates
I get a 1:9 barrel, and I hear 1:9 wears better, but I like the idea of being able to shoot
heavier loadings if I want to, and a lot of people say the 1:7 twist shoots the 55gr m193
very well while still being able to shoot heavier loadings.

I'm split down the middle... peer pressure me
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#1]
On a 20" barrel you will get good velocity performance for all loads, which means you also get good longitudinal spin performance.  1:9 is the way to go.  You can shoot 75 gr. OTM all day long
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Why don't ya just go back here and answer the questions I asked?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=275711

Then you'll know which twist rate ya should pick, (instead of starting another thread without stating what your intended use for the rifle is).

Mike
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have  Two  16"ers. one is in 1:7 and one is in 1:9
My 1:7 gun outperforms my 1:9 in accuracy hands down. . . .  just my .02 cents worth.
I have shot a bunch and bunch of 55-57 gr. but lately been shooting a bunch of reloaded 65-70 gr.
I just think it shoots better IMHO.

That wear thing is an old wives tale.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why don't ya just go back here and answer the questions I asked?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=275711

Then you'll know which twist rate ya should pick, (instead of starting another thread without stating what your intended use for the rifle is).

Mike

Actually I did...

Oh yeah, I've definitely done my research on different loadings vs twist rates

That question was about BARREL WEAR, not about what loadings work better with different twist rates... which is path you seemed to be leading me down
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer 1/7...

Every 1/7 barrel I've had shoots M193 just fine, as well as M855. Also, gives you the option of shooting much heavier match bullets if you are so inclined.

I probably wouldn't shoot anything lighter than 55gr out of it though.

Get it chrome lined and the barrel life arguement isn't an issue. You'll pay for the barrel many times over in ammo you shoot through it before you shoot it out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top