Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 8:33:44 AM EDT
I presently have a pre ban DPMS 16in with a collapsible stock, I love the gun but I caught the AR bug and would like to get another with all the goodies. So I'm taking on a new project! Only problem is I've been out of the game so long that I don't know which gun manu to choose for the rifle and which manu for all the goodies.

This is what I would like:
Quality M4 16 in flat top with 1/9 twist
collapsible or lightweight stock
red dot optics
light
quad rail system
fore grip

Am I missing anything? What online vendors have good prices on rifles and accessories?

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
welcome aboard
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good so far...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
i've got a build i'm working on and maybe it'll give you some ideas.
DPMS lower
Model 1 Dissipator kit
flat top upper
collapsable stock
BUIS
red dot sight
ergo-grip
broomhandle front grip
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I presently have a pre ban DPMS 16in with a collapsible stock, I love the gun but I caught the AR bug and would like to get another with all the goodies. So I'm taking on a new project! Only problem is I've been out of the game so long that I don't know which gun manu to choose for the rifle and which manu for all the goodies.

Quality M4 16 in flat top with 1/9 twist
collapsible or lightweight stock
red dot optics
light
quad rail system
fore grip

Am I missing anything? What online vendors have good prices on rifles and accessories?

Thanks in advance!

With a 16'' barrel, I'd go with 1/7 twist... should be good for any ammo you will run into.

If you use optics, you should have back up iron sights (as a rule).

You are REALLY going to start getting headache when you actually decide on components.  You want rails (like I do?)?  Larue, Daniel Defense, KAC?  Red Dot.... EOTECH, Aimpoint, or Walmart red dots? STOCK?  Vltor, Magpul, LMT Crane, standard M4, CAR???

DON'T sit down and try to figure it out all at one time... or blood will shoot our your nose.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
[
With a 16'' barrel, I'd go with 1/7 twist... should be good for any ammo you will run into.

If you use optics, you should have back up iron sights (as a rule).

You are REALLY going to start getting headache when you actually decide on components.  You want rails (like I do?)?  Larue, Daniel Defense, KAC?  Red Dot.... EOTECH, Aimpoint, or Walmart red dots? STOCK?  Vltor, Magpul, LMT Crane, standard M4, CAR???

DON'T sit down and try to figure it out all at one time... or blood will shoot our your nose.

- BUCC_Guy

Thanks for the tips, as far as my base I was thinking about the BM modular carbine.  I was also thinking of EOtech optics, but haven't settle on that yet.  What about lights?  Whats a good one and who has good prices?  What are some good sites in general for AR parts, I was thinking about buying the whole rifle off the net and save on tax which is 9 % for me!  Can I shoot 55 gr BT through a barrel with 1/7 twist?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I was just about to sign off for the night but I noticed you're building a gun really similar to mine. I built my lower from a Olympic Arms T3MX and an Oly parts kit. I am counting the days until the AWB expires so I can screw on my Ace SOCOM stock (which I might add is an excellent stock and you can pick one up from Model 1, buffer and spring included, for $160 shipped).

Speaking of Oly, another gun you might consider is their new LT series (LTF and LTM4). It's their version of the BM Modular but it's cheaper and has a multiple aperture rear sight. Replace the Ace FX with a SOCOM (you might even be able to talk them into getting you the gun without a stock), put on an EOTech 512 or 522 (AA battery versions for longer life), Insight M3 or M3X light, and any good foregrip with some storage space for batteries and you'll be all set. The LT series has an MSRP of a bit under $1300 so you could probably pick one up for around a grand. EOTech 512 is one of the more cost-effective red-dots and they run about $330 online. ITI M3's run around $110, M3X's around $170. If you keep the Ace FX stock, you're probably looking at just around $1500 for the gun, Holosight, and light.

For the record, I'm going with a Rock River Arms CAR A4 upper with a 16" stainless barrel. 1/8 twist, free-floating mid-length handguard, Oly MASS sights, and the EOTech 512 (don't need night vision compatible holosights and I can't go down 33 feet underwater so I really don't care if my sights could). If I have any funds left, I might attach a M3X to my handguard using some sort of screw-on rail system (I think the quad rails can snag way too easily, panels or no panels).

As for overall good sights, from my experience, certain sights will have better prices on certain products and worse on others. Just type in "AR-15 parts" in Google. As for the 55 gr in a 1/7. You could...but it doesn't mean it will be very accurate. 1/9 is a good overall twist and will stabilize the broadest range of rounds, from 55 all the way up to around 70 grains. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the military M4's use a 1/7 twist but they are primarily designed for 62 grain rounds. Stick with the 1/9 unless you're shooting very light or very heavy loads.
Hopefully I was of help.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was just about to sign off for the night but I noticed you're building a gun really similar to mine. I built my lower from a Olympic Arms T3MX and an Oly parts kit. I am counting the days until the AWB expires so I can screw on my Ace SOCOM stock (which I might add is an excellent stock and you can pick one up from Model 1, buffer and spring included, for $160 shipped).

Speaking of Oly, another gun you might consider is their new LT series (LTF and LTM4). It's their version of the BM Modular but it's cheaper and has a multiple aperture rear sight. Replace the Ace FX with a SOCOM (you might even be able to talk them into getting you the gun without a stock), put on an EOTech 512 or 522 (AA battery versions for longer life), Insight M3 or M3X light, and any good foregrip with some storage space for batteries and you'll be all set. The LT series has an MSRP of a bit under $1300 so you could probably pick one up for around a grand. EOTech 512 is one of the more cost-effective red-dots and they run about $330 online. ITI M3's run around $110, M3X's around $170. If you keep the Ace FX stock, you're probably looking at just around $1500 for the gun, Holosight, and light.

For the record, I'm going with a Rock River Arms CAR A4 upper with a 16" stainless barrel. 1/8 twist, free-floating mid-length handguard, Oly MASS sights, and the EOTech 512 (don't need night vision compatible holosights and I can't go down 33 feet underwater so I really don't care if my sights could). If I have any funds left, I might attach a M3X to my handguard using some sort of screw-on rail system (I think the quad rails can snag way too easily, panels or no panels).

As for overall good sights, from my experience, certain sights will have better prices on certain products and worse on others. Just type in "AR-15 parts" in Google. As for the 55 gr in a 1/7. You could...but it doesn't mean it will be very accurate. 1/9 is a good overall twist and will stabilize the broadest range of rounds, from 55 all the way up to around 70 grains. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the military M4's use a 1/7 twist but they are primarily designed for 62 grain rounds. Stick with the 1/9 unless you're shooting very light or very heavy loads.
Hopefully I was of help.

Wow thanks for your thorough advice, it's going to help alot, for whatever reason I never even considered a Olympic arms, but now I'll have to!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quality M4 16 in flat top with 1/9 twist  build it yourself - easy, fun, cheaper.
collapsible or lightweight stock Equipment Exchange - RRA 6-pos collapsible $72
red dot optics AIMPOINT ML2 or M2 - look on eBay - about $300 is you watch for a deal
light
quad rail system YHM free float or 2-piece (doesn't require removal of sight base to install) from BravoCompanyUSA
fore grip

ADCOfirearms
bravocompanyusa.com
EagleFirearms

Thanks in advance!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top