Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 4:35:00 PM EDT
Now that the ban is gone, I want to build an AR. I do not have one so I want to build one from the ground up. Can you guys tell me where to find a good stripped lower and the best place for parts?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Model 1 sales, I'm not sure how the quality stacks up, I'm sure others are better, but for your first build it will be affordable. After a while you are probably going to change to different parts anyways, so just go basic at first. Unless you have a ton of money! As for lowers I have a Bushmaster & an Eagle, both have been perfect, no problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorite vendors are www.eaglefirearms.net for RRA partrs assmblies and complete uppers built as you like,Bushmaster of course for my barrels and lowers when the price is right.I like to use Bushmaster lowers but have also used RRA and AMEETEC ARMS.The RRA is tighter than I like for a field rifle but built my standard DCM rifle with their lower as even though a tight upper and lower have no bearing on accuracy I like the solid feel from a rifle I have to get into contorted firing posistions with.The Ameetec mimicks the Bushmaster in fit and function and is finished nicely.I have 3 Bushy carbines that have been retrofitted with RRA stocks,hammers and bolt carriers.The RRA fullsize is all RRA except the Bushy barrel.My armalite is all sock but with a Bushy barrel,RRA carrier and hammer.The Ameetec is being built into a Government carbine copy so its the Ameetec lower,RRA lower kit,Colt type 2 waffle stock assembly with H buffer.Upper is RRA flat top  with RRA carrier and parts,bolt is colt with chromed les baer extractors and ejectors"those on all my rifles"Barrel is a 1/7 Bushy Govt profile with a KKK milspec suppressor wich is as long as the phantom for legality but it mimicks the birdcage in apperance,Carry handle an RRA removable and an ARMS#40 BUIS.I wanted the feedramps even though I think they are useless for a copy of the M4A1 they have to be there so Im gonna do them althogh I could just get and LMT barrelled upper by itself  in any event thats my now project.You could build your lower then just order the upper as you want it.This is my second build so I shouldnt have any problems....not that my first build was plagued by them but the very first build your just learning so things go a bit slow and in my case had to learn the hardway especialy in the have the right tool for the job makes things alot easier.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. On the model one sales site, What is the difference between the gas block and no gas block. If you want to add the gas block they charge you like 180 dollars extra.

Also, this is going to be my first build so what tools do you recommend I have to make the build go smoother?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats because the gas block has to be preciely fit and put on Im sure the price includes installation and I beleive certain blocks have the rail or fold down front sight.For tools definately the uppere receiver block.They make a piece that fits the magwell so you can keep the lower stationary wich is helpfull with a telestock but I can build the lower without having to hold it stationary,The upper on the other han has to be sturdy for when you tourqe the barrel on.A barrel wrench is a mustand a gas tube alignment tool is helpfull.I cut mine from an old gas tube and you could always us a compareable piece of metal to do the same thing.A good set of pin punches and a gunsmiths hammer,a set of snapring pliers for the assmbly of the delta ring to the barrel nut some hi temp grease for uppers threads,assorted hex wrenches although only 2 are needed 1 for the grip and a small one when assembling an A2 rear sight assembly.Some generous table space and a vice and lube for the roll pins when installing parts.Oh a rubber or plastic mallet so you dont mar surfaces.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I think I am going to buy 2 bushy lowers (one for me and one for my wife). We will build them together as a project. I am excited to see how this turns out. I am going to do some reading around the AR15 side because I don't know what I don't know yet and maybe it will help.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife uses a carbon model#4 its light and uses the same subassemblies and is a Bushmaster
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
AHH!!!

Bushy lowers are WAY overpriced. A Mega, Stag or Ameetec lower is $90 shipped, and they are the same quality as Bushmasters.
However, Bushmaster DOES charge a fair price for their uppers and barrels, its just the lowers that are a huge rip-off IMO.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top