Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2005 5:02:11 PM EDT
I'm about to take the plunge and could use some help understanding which AR-15 variant would be my best choice (Colt, RRA and Bushmaster are those I've looked at so far).  I'd be using it for plinking, varmint hunting and to protect my family when my Springfield Pro is not adequate.  I'm completely new to long guns, so if my question sounds like it comes from a neophyte, it does.  Thanks in advance for the help...I'm looking forward to getting the best model for me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Cant go wrong with the ABC's, and D's, and R's, and S's.

Armalite
Bushy
Colt
and of course
DPMS
RRA
Stag

In no speical order.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The three companies you mentioned you cant go wrong with IMO.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I always have to chime in and give credit to RRA. I love mine and it is a little cheaper than the others youmentioned.

Whichever you decide on I know you'll love it!!

And don't forget to post pics when you get it!!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a Bushy guy but Colt and RRA are top notch as well. Take a look at the Bushy Patrolman's carbine. IMO one of the best all around AR's you can buy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Man I love this board...instant help!  So if no appreciable differences, is price the only difference?  I notice Colt seems to get the most.  I do like the RRA offerings.  As a 1911 fan their pistols have a great reputation (I assume this is the same manufacturer as the rifles)
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The main difference is that Colt uses 1/7" twist in their bbls which is great for heavy ammo. As well as their bbls and bolts all being MP tested. Bushy offers everything Colt does other than the 1/7" (they do make 1/7" bbls but are special order and hard to come by) almost all Bushies have 1/9" twist which is a great all around twist rate and Bushy spot checks their bbls and bolts rather than checking them all. RRA offers free options such as the Hogue grip and 2 stage trigger but make a chrome lined bbl a $50 option which IMO is more important than the trigger and grip and they only do 1/9" unless you get a SS bbl and then it's 1/8". As far as MP testing then don't do any testing as far as I am aware. Like I said I prefer Bushy b/c you get almost everything the Colt has for less money. The RRA is great but I think the chrome bore and chamber should be standard and I wouldn't want a 2 stage trigger on my defensive rifle. If you want a Bushy w/ 1/7" twist check out the SEBR (special edition black rifle) available through this site for a great price.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, Rock River Arms make both high quality AR's, and super nice 1911's.

There are some slight differences I'll explain.

Colt and Bushmaster both use 4150 steel for their barrels, where RRA only uses 4140. With chrome lining, those specifications pretty much turn irrelevant, but you must mention you want chrome lining as an option for an RRA if you're purchasing. (Which will cost you a little more, but still remain cheaper than the others) Colt and Bushmaster come standard with chrome lining. (Except stainless barrels and a few target barrels.)

Bushy magnetic particle inspects a small number of bolt runs, where Colt MP's them all. This may seem quite significant, but statistics show it's really not. It's very rare to hear of bolt failures from any of the big names anymore.

Rock River's typically come with two stage triggers. I myself like good single stage triggers better, but it's still a big plus over most others.

Colt uses an off size pin system in their civilian model AR's. This means they're not standard with all of the other brands, which means limited interchangeability of parts. I myself would never consider one in this form as it's nice to know the ease of finding replacement parts, if needed.

Colt Law Enforcement rifles (Uses all standard AR parts.) are obtainable by citizens, but are subject to extreme price gouging. You can find them fairly priced from some people, most commonly, here on the Equipment Exchange. A fair price will still be a significant amount over the other brands though.

For me, the lifetime warranty, extremely large amount of options and configurations, great customer service, great prices, and extremely high quality are enough to sway me to Rock River.

Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all for the help.  I spent the day at a gun show walking between a RRA Entry, 6920 and A Bushy modular carbine.  After much consternation the Bushmaster came home today.  For me, the modular seemed to be a good choice based on price and readiness for add-ons.  I almost went for the Colt, but all the dealers were too proud of their 6920's.  Sure hope I made the right decision and end up with a good one.  Thanks again to all for the advice.

Vic
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I have owned all three mane brands , all three were great but ilike them in this order bushmaster, rock river, and colt
                                                                          thanks copdills
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the aformation...just what I was looking for
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top