Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2015 8:15:15 PM EDT
Hey guys! I recently started building my first AR-15 from an 80% raw aluminum lower that has no engravings. I would like to put a fire and safe symbol on the rifle and rather than paint a poorly shaped F and S I was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of some plates with pictures of a bullet and a bullet with an X through it I have seen before. Otherwise any other decals that say SAFE and FIRE or help distinguish them would be fine too! Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen any decals......I would send it to an engraver.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a lable maker.

I think it would look like shit.

PM me and send me a SASE and I'll send them to you.

The trophy shop in your town can fix U right up. That is what I would do.

The offer still stands.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I mill a 1/8" dot with a end mill a5 safe and fire positions fire I fill with red paint safe I fill with white paint
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have metal hand stamps. Like a punch but with mirrored letters on the end. I have 1/8" letters. Highly recommend for the versatility
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the tips guys, ill call the trophy shop tomorrow for a quote. Do you think i should wait till after I cerakote it to have it done? Im afraid the paint will fill the engraving too much.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I would make sure they are engraved at least .008" to .010" deep and you may as well have them engrave a serial number as well while they are at it...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mill a 1/8" dot with a end mill a5 safe and fire positions fire I fill with red paint safe I fill with white paint
View Quote

I like that idea! Simple, easy, and effective.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a tip from modern hunting rifles (and this is what I do):

Purchase a 3mm or 4mm round burr for your drill press.
Mark with a felt tip pen where the safety points most precisely in the safe and fire positions. Press a crisp crater into the receiver with your burr (using the drill press).
Fill the depression with red and white paint respectively.

Works great.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any burrs so I just use what I have. End mill or burr. Same idea. Just make sure the spots are right where u want them
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would make sure they are engraved at least .008" to .010" deep and you may as well have them engrave a serial number as well while they are at it...

Good luck.
View Quote

As in make up my own serial for identification purposes? Not a bad idea at all.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Why don't you do it right and etch it into the metal , make it as deep as you want?

How to etch
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why don't you do it right and etch it into the metal , make it as deep as you want?

How to etch
View Quote

Great thread at that link^. My issue is finding a source for the vinyl adhesive letter/number stencils and logo...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Great thread at that link^. My issue is finding a source for the vinyl adhesive letter/number stencils and logo...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How to etch

I believe most sign shops can cut the vinyl letters for you.  You can also get a Silhouette Cutter/Plotter.  That would run about $200.  For one time it doesn't make much sense.

Another option would be to reach out to Weaponmark on the akfiles.  

He creates etch kits for AK selector markings and might be able to create one for the selector markings on your AR.  Not sure he'll do it but it's worth a shot.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top