Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2004 6:10:41 PM EDT
The upper is new to me, the member i bought it off of says  it ran fine for him.
I am using a RRA 9mm hammer, rra magwell and modified uzi mags.

1) the shell is not being ejected  correctly and the bolt is trying to close on the spent casing and a new bullet.

There is rubbing marks on the face of the hammer and on the bottom of the bolt. do i need to ramp the bolt?

I was shooting blazer ammo with  the alum. casing. could that be the problem?

The ejector did not have any trash in it.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Go buy a Winchester 9mm Value pak at Wally World and give that a try.

I've only had bad luck with Blazer except in 9x18.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
i have same setup. no problems. i agree try different ammo
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Shot my 9mm Colt the other day and it just ate up 124gr NATO surplus. I tried some aluminum case Blaser that my buddy wanted to get rid of and it was jam city. The gun would not cycle in either semi or full auto more than 1 or 2 rounds without jamming the way you described. The stuff sucks big time.

Ditch it and try the Winchester or grab some good NATO fodder from ammoman.com.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a new RRA 9mm setup and have had similar failures.  First 300 rounds or so were Remington UMC, which has always worked in 9mm pistols for me.  Lots of flash from a 16" barrel, and about 1 in 4 failed to eject.  No extraction problems.  Tried some of the Winchester white box 100 rd. value pack stuff, and it did fine.  It seemed to have some more power to it, definitely more felt recoil.  I'm going to try some 124gr. NATO loads I've got around, and maybe try an "H" buffer instead of the heavy 9mm one.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I was at the range today and a friend of mine brought blazer ammo to shoot on my Colt 9mm. Jammed almost on every round  exactly as you described. I loaded my S&B ammo and it shot perfect.

I think its the ammo.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you guys think it's a function of the ammo being underpowered, or something else?  
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 4:28:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I would recommend you try different ammo, if cost is an issue try Winchester white box.  Aluminum cased Blazer ammunition shouldn't be used in ANY blowback operated firearm.

Steve.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you guys think it's a function of the ammo being underpowered, or something else?  

CCI Blazer does not work well in most pistol caliber longarms- the aluminum cases seem to be the problem.  I susepct (from experiencing the exact same malfunction) that the aluminum cannot handle the forces involved in direct blowback operation.  

Try winchester white box.  If it won't run on that, then you may have some real problems, but it will most likely work fine.

[edited]  Yeah, like Steve said and I repreated cause I didn't read everything.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#9]
What about the buffer?  Are  you using a 9mm buffer?
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What about the buffer?  Are  you using a 9mm buffer?

I am

I will try the win. ammo next time.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm using a 9mm buffer, too.  When I get FTE's, it seems like the gun cycles softer.  So would a lighter buffer (H buffer) help with that?  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Update

I used Winchester ammo and it worked much better, But i found out that i have other issues.

1. the hammer was not being or staying cocked, plus it seemed like the bolt was binding on something. when i took the upper off i could tell the hammer was rubbing on the bolt. The gun actually doubled. That was kinda cool.

When i disassembled the hammer i found out the hammer had a .176 hole and the hammer  pin is .154/.155. I guess i have a colt hammer.beats me

I have ordered a m16 hammer from DPMS and i am going to ramp my bolt, and hopefully it will work next time like its supposed to.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I got most of my issues worked out this past weekend.  After seeing my RRA not eject properly, I swapped out the 9mm buffer for an M4 H-buffer.  Had much better success, but it still seemed to favor the Winchester White Box over the Remington UMC.  I'm going to order some 9mm NATO from Ammoman and seem if that does any better.  Thanks guys!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#14]
You will feel and huge difference in recoil with the ammo used. I mainly have the nato ball and +p+ sxt, pretty sharp. Throw th e115 grain ball in there and it's really soft. If using the heavy loads, I would stay with at least the 9mm buffer. I'm actually thinking about using the 9mm "A" buffer, but will need to check it's function with my 5.56 upper and 193. I really like th efeel of th e9mm buffer with the M4 upper.

Mark
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:02:44 AM EDT
[#15]
When I started shooting 9mm everone told me that I needed a subgun buffer, While I fould that once I put a H-buffer in everthing worked Like it should.  The subgun buffer was just to heavy slowing the rate of fire.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You will feel and huge difference in recoil with the ammo used. I mainly have the nato ball and +p+ sxt, pretty sharp. Throw th e115 grain ball in there and it's really soft. If using the heavy loads, I would stay with at least the 9mm buffer. I'm actually thinking about using the 9mm "A" buffer, but will need to check it's function with my 5.56 upper and 193. I really like th efeel of th e9mm buffer with the M4 upper.

Mark

Sounds like a plan mark.  I actually tried the 9mm buffer in my .223, but my RRA 9mm buffer will not allow the bolt to go all the way to the rear in my LMT M4 receiver extension. I knew tubes varied in length, but not the buffers themselves.  It's either the slight length or the ID of the tube rubbing on the buffer spring.  My 9mm buffer is as large in diameter as will fit into the spring.  

If I get the heavier 9mm NATO or +P, I'll probably go through the whole thing again!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Of the subject alittle bit, There seems to be alot of issues with the LMT's? I have a colt tube on my Bushy and it works great with the 9mm buffer and the AAC one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There seems to be alot of issues with the LMT's? I have a colt tube on my Bushy and it works great with the 9mm buffer and the AAC one.

I was thinking it was the RRA that was out of spec.  It didn't fit in a Colt tube either, and I'm going to try it in my Vltor when I get a chance.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top